BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:29 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
The snow is slowing down and it looks like we got 2". It was not as bad as it was predicted.

My husband went to church before the snow started, and he brought back pizza for lunch. And I have lazed around and took a nap and started a loaf of bread.

My little dog was BEYOND unhappy about having to relieve himself in the snow, and I felt a moment of sympathy for anybody who must use an outhouse. By tomorrow my son will want a ride home-he lives 45 minutes away and does not drive- and my usual life will go on. Or, it will go on until I have cataract surgery on Wednesday. Ugh.

Good luck with the surgery, Terri.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:19 AM

Well I guess it's time to settle in for winter. After the storm the forecast for the next two weeks is 30s for highs and teens for lows.

I've had a project I've been saving for winter. For close to a year now I've been painting fishing lures, and putting together other types of lures. I'd been selling a few locally, but thought over the winter it would be a good time to expand the project. Now isn't the best time to be selling lures, but I figure it will take a few months to get everything going and I want to have things in place by early spring.

I've built a web page, and plan to add a Facebook page to that. I tied these in with my Youtube channel which also has a Facebook page. My thought is one works well with the other.

Along with my painted lures I wanted to expand on that, so I went looking for suppliers to get the components I needed to put together the lures I'll make. This meant a crash course in finding what I needed, and working with suppliers in China. In the end it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm able to start small while I'm building up business.

I'd done some sales locally by word of mouth or a local bait shop that hangs a few of my lures on the wall. To start sales on the internet I decided to start with E bay and a couple fishing lure sales sites on Facebook. I figured these would help me get some experience, and both have provided some sales.

My long range plan is the Amazon FBA program, which I hope to start by Feb or March. Here I will put my lures in packages to sell, keeping those packages around $20 to $25. I decide what lures to put together for a package. Then each package has it's own bar code. All the packages are put in a box and shipped to Amazon, and from there they do the work. All packages will be listed as Amazon Prime, Amazon will take their cut, and deposit the rest of the money in my account.

My E bay sales so far has shown me by the time I offer free shipping my costs are about the same as if I let Amazon do it, and with Amazon I have a lot less to do. Plus I think Amazon will be a lot bigger market. So I guess I have my winter project to keep me busy when the snow it blowing.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:20 PM

Good luck with your store!

It looks like I was wrong on how much snow we got: I estimated we got 2 inches but it was hard to tell because it was so drifted. The weatherman says my area got just over 4 inches, which is a LOT more than I thought and a lot for November! This is the third snowfall this year and we usually do not get ANY snow until December, and even then we usually get less than an inch at a time until January. I think we will get a lot of snow this winter.

It is 11 AM and my night owl son is still asleep. Actually I am pleased because I said I would take him home today, and the roads will be better after the sun has melted the snow off of them. Mind, the snow plow has gone by so I will not complain, but the roads will be even better in about 3 hours time.

The chickens were in excellent shape: putting a second water dish in worked out very well because the water dishes stayed full enough so that the chickens did not perch on the edge and tip them over.

I will leave them shut up inside for today as well, as they would refuse to go outside anyways. They do not mind an inch of snow or less, but they refuse to walk in anything deeper.

I expect to have a quiet day today.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:29 PM

Thanks for the encouragement.

I'll be thinking about you on Wed. My sister did that a year or so ago, she said she wished she wouldn't have waited so long to do it.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
Thanks for the encouragement.

I'll be thinking about you on Wed. My sister did that a year or so ago, she said she wished she wouldn't have waited so long to do it.
Thanks!

I must say I am looking forward to seeing better: I do still drive but not at night.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:21 PM

Overcast, windy, but a balmy 6C since very early this morning. Snow sliding off the roof going KER-FLOP just outside the window woke me early today. Problem is everywhere I have plowed and packed snow it is VERY slick ice and hip breaker treacherous. Ice cleats on boots to do chores the rest of winter now I suspect.

Congrats and best wishes on your enterprise Hunter. There are lots of lakes, ponds here, but not much fishing in them. Most fishing is the rivers. That takes a good size boat and gear as they are deep and fast. When the salmon run the rivers it is a frenzy. If you aren't fishing the river right in town be prepared to be elbow to elbow to a bear also fishing. Not good.

Best wishes with the surgery Terri. My Sweetie did both eyes last spring and early summer. MIL is here now to get hers done. With there hearing, sense of smell, and now good eyesight the dog and I can get away with anything any more. Bummer.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:00 AM

Looks like the end of Nov and the start of Dec will be wet. Starting Friday there is a chance of rain turning to snow, and sticking around until Monday. As in real estate it's all about location, location, location, and right now I'm on the edge of that location. Some spots will get mostly rain and maybe an inch or so of snow. Move just a little bit to the north of that spot and you could be looking at 6" or more of snow before it's all over. So from now till Monday I'll sit around wondering what side of the line I'm on, and wondering how much snow if any I will have to move.

I'm rooting for rain, don't have to scoop that.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:09 PM

20 F. and snowing here this A.M. Not much new accumulation. I got a tow-behind spreader to gravel/sand/salt the driveway as it had gotten so icy, but now it is snowing, so perhaps I won't need it.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:18 PM

It is thawing right now, though we will see more snow in a few days time.

The surgery went well, and I am eager to get the other eye done when it can be arranged
Old 11-29-2018, 08:23 PM

Sounds good Terri, glad things went well.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:35 PM

Thanks, Hunter

And, DANG that was good bok choi I just ate!

I have always considered bok choi to be a strongly flavored vegetable that is best when mixed in with other strongly flavored food, but this fall I harvested 2 big armfuls before a hard freeze. That is a LOT of bok choi to eat in my opinion, and so I went to my kindle and entered "bok choi", and to my surprise a recipe book popped. So I borrowed the book.

This last recipe was the best: I stir fried it with red pepper flakes, pickled ginger, garlic, oyster sauce, soy, and brown sugar. It was sweet and spicy and just plain good!

And, that was the last of the bok choi. I threw away a bit that was starting to brown, but most of it was eaten. I will CERTAINLY grow it again next year!
Old 11-29-2018, 11:19 PM

Yesterday rained all day. Light but steady. The places I plowed snow in the yard are a sheet of ice. Been spreading ashes, salt, sand all over to keep from being a broken hip statistic. Now colder today, overcast, hover around 0C for a temp night and day.

To town 4 days in a row... Ugggg.... Pick up MIL from Health Care bus. Eye appointment. Eye surgery. Back to the bus to home. She came out of the late afternoon check from the surgery day just laughing like the village idiot. Said what is the matter ?? She said the instructions were funny.. No bending at the hip, no heavy lifting or no sex for the first week. OK..... I guess that is more info than I needed. Seems the staff have a fun time with giving all the older people the instructions.

Yesterday we put a stew mix in the slow cooker first thing in the morning. Stew beef, celery, onion, carrot, rutabaga, more onion, water, beef gravy powder, black pepper, Lea & Perrins. Used a tied shut oven baking bag for the stew, made a pot of rice when we got home. Good to get home to dinner already done. Left overs today have been wonderful. This was from the beef we split with neighbors. What we have had so far is most wonderful.

Christmas ham, turkey bingo this Sunday at the local community hall. Always fun, neighbor will ask if any trouble with mosquitoes off the lake lately ? Always fun. Later is Breakfast with Santa at the hall. That is always a fun event.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:45 AM

Cloudy with a cold rain and mist yesterday. This morning a freezing fog? Well it's foggy and they say it's cold enough for the fog to freeze on stuff it touches, but at 30 degrees when I got up this morning, I figure it should inch above freezing by mid morning. With all the rain and or snow coming over the next 3 or 4 days, I did notice the temp should stay right around 32 degrees or slightly warmer. Going to be a wet heavy snow.

They're still saying 1 to 3 inches where I'm at, but a 45 minute to hour's drive NW of me they say maybe 10 to 12 inches. Last storm slipped by to the south of me by about the same distance where they got 8 to 10 inches and I got a couple.

Either I'm living right or very lucky. Odds are it's luck.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:28 PM

Don I hope you're doing ok up there. The thought of picking up after an earthquake makes my upcoming snow storm seem like a minor irritation.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:11 AM

I had to come by and see about Doninalaska---Praying you and family are ok---Scared the bejebbers out of me. Please be ok.

Evening every one.

Its seriously cold here in SD--weather man is talking ice rain--snow and wind--So It's seriously Dec. here lol.
take care all--hugs and prayers Txanne
Old 12-01-2018, 09:33 PM

We survived fine, Annie. I hope everything is going okay for you in your wintry home....
Old 12-02-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
We survived fine, Annie. I hope everything is going okay for you in your wintry home....
I am thrilled to hear that---Strangely we didnt get much coverage---of the earthquake--news people cant handle that cold I guess.

Don I am an old hand at it now.
The West wind will rip your face off---made friends with the snow blower neighbor--well I gave him 250 gallons of heating oil I had no use for--for keeping me plowed out.

Adapt and over-come or die!!
The new propane furnace is a sweetie----and I have 2 ventless heaters incase the power goes out---
I love the fog freezing on the trees==beautiful--fasinates me.

Hugs and prayers to each of you--Stay safe and warm.