BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Auto/Truck/Other Transportation

Auto/Truck/Other Transportation If you use it to get from here to there, this is the place to talk about it and how to fix it.

Old 07-29-2018, 01:53 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Water in crankcase

Inline 6 motor in vehicle. Noticed over last few thousand miles oil wusnt getting low. Recently realized it was getting higher.

Anyway water can be getting into block other than cracked block ?

Drained about 2 and 1/2 gallons out.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:20 AM

Is it water infiltration? Water makes a yellowish emulsion like a milkshake, almost instantly. Motor would not last thousands of miles, probably not even fifty miles without bearings grinding to a halt, loss of power and major stuff breaking off inside.

May I assume that what you drained off still looks like oil? Does it have a fuel smell? Mechanical fuel pumps can leak fuel directly into the crankcase.

As far as your question, a head gasket could easily let water / coolant into the crankcase, intake manifold gasket on a V-8, (but you claim it is a 6, inline) the motor would have been running roughly if so.

But again, just a cup or two of water in the oil of a running engine would make a thick milkshake you could see on the dipstick, certainly not something that could be confused with the oil's normal appearance.

Keep us posted!
Old 07-29-2018, 06:03 PM

Its an odd one. At least to me.

Kept checking oil over last several months and several thousand miles. It wusnt getting low. Took one 4 day 1600 mile trip and figured it would need a quart but dip stick said no.

Low coolant light came on. I put in half gallon of anti freez. Month later came on again and i put in rest of jug. It does drip a bit from bottom of radiator so i didnt suspect.

Did not see any yello or white color on dipstik or in 2 1/2 gallons i drained out. Have set the milk jugs with the liquid to see if it seperates into water on bottom oil on top. Since yesterday it has not. Its a 2000 model so has electeic fuel pump. Power is and has been good. Fuel milage is good~ it has a digital scale of instant mpg . gets 25 on hwy.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:16 AM

This is truly weird... Wix has an oil analysis kit available at auto parts stores, around 20-25 bucks, may be worth it for the peace of mind.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:07 PM

It was a good engine. 2 1/2 gallons & at least 1 1/2 wore Not oil and it didnt fall apart. If was gasoline or water it sure had to cut down the lub on bearings. I put new oil in her and drove around about 20 miles.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:12 PM

X2 on the oil analysis. That extra liquid came from somewhere. The test would pinpoint that.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:48 PM

Just wondering Seth--you got a neighbor who likes pulling practical jokes????

I've had gas get into the crankcase, and it is pretty noticeable by the smell. I've had water in the crankcase, and it is pretty obvious because as Tinker pointed out it becomes an emulsified mess.

Do you run straight antifreeze or other coolant without water mix?? Don't know what happens when it mixes with oil.

Did the stuff you let set ever separate into different liquids???

If it is not one or the other, then you have something, or someone adding to it--maybe like the goose and the golden egg.

JVC
Old 07-31-2018, 03:59 AM

A couple clues from the posts that I have seen before.......

1... 2 gallon extra fluid in motor is a BIG problem..
1A.. 2 gallon extra fluid NOT turning into an antifreeze milk shake.

2... Fluid not separating.

Could it be fuel getting into the crank case.??? You should be able to smell it if either gas or diesel.

Do a complete oil change, with new oil and filter.

Take a teaspoon of the old oil, and a teaspoon of the drained off fluid OUTSIDE and try to light it a fire. Fuel in oil should light right up.

Sample should be NO BIGGER than a teaspoon. You won't like the results of a bigger sample catching fire.

If this is the case, it may be mechanical fuel pump leaking into block. Or electric fuel pump overpowering throttle, fuel injection system somehow.

My 5 cents of opinion and knowledge.....
Old 07-31-2018, 10:29 AM

We may never know....
Old 08-01-2018, 03:33 AM

The liquid in jugs has not seperated. Several days in the hot sun would have done it by now. I do not believe now it is water.

Have not tryed burning it. It smells like used motor oil. There is a gasoline smell to it.

Moter does not seem to be having any issues.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:33 AM

Few hundred more miles. Oil level is not rising. Is not discolored. Now , Motor sometimes has a stutter. Like a miss.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:33 PM

I figure the Liquid was diesel. I had a jug of diesel at homested and it got poured in by mistake thinkin it was old gas that needed getting used up.

Not sure yet how it got into crankcase. It also plugged up the catalic converter.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:57 PM

Start out with a pressure test of cooling system. See if it looses psi and if coolant goes down. Would indicate bad gaskets (head/intake) or cracked casting (intake/head/block). Unless you find a puddle under car.

Also look in radiator cap filler when motor running, fines bubbles indicate head gasket or cracked block/head.

Is coolant clean or any oil?

I can't see 2 1/2 gallons "extra" being in crankcase and the car even running? Coolant in oil will make a milky emulsion.

Pull off PCV valve, is it full of milky emulsion? E.g. water/coolant from the oil.

P.S. what is car/engine?
Old 09-10-2018, 03:25 PM

Its a jeep. Inline 6cyl. 4.0

It was 2 1/2 gallons tottal drained out.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:09 AM

This probably won't help, but when you said Jeep it made me think.

Many years ago I had a Jeep with engine problems. Back then I was told the aluminum block allowed anti freeze to get in the oil. I'm not sure how that could be, and I didn't ask for a more detailed answer back then.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:49 AM

What year 4.0? Several years were prone to head gasket failure between cylinders that would create coolant in the crankcase.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:41 PM

It was Diesel fuel in the crankcase. Not water.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:19 PM

I've been thinking about this since you first mentioned you thought it was diesel in the oil. Only a guess, but--- mixing the diesel with the gas in the tank would create a gas/diesel mix flowing into the cylinders. Since it takes a lot more compression to flash the diesel than it does for the gas (gas engine compression v diesel engine compression) I'm thinking that the diesel did not combust and that some drained down the cylinder walls past the rings into the crankcase. Some of it obviously blew out with the exhaust screwing your catalytic converter, but the extra liquid (diesel) in the crank had to come in through the cylinders.
That would be my best guess.

JVC
Old 09-17-2018, 02:17 PM

i dont believe your guess is only a guess. i figured the same thing you came up with
Old 10-13-2018, 07:41 AM

I can't see diesel in the fuel, diluted with gas, getting all by the rings and not burning, or not going out the exhaust unburnt.

Who did previous oil change? Wal-mart or similar place? Maybe they forgot to drain it and just added 4-5 quarts more? Maybe two or three Wal-mart monkeys each filled it?

I've seen places like that, do all sorts of bad stuff to cars: down a quart after a change that filled the filter, had a friend whose car didn't get any oil (toasted the motor), had a Wal-mart monkey starting to take off an oil pan skid plate to try to find the oil filter that was mounted on the inner fender , oil filter not screwed on properly and a gusher of oil after they drove it out of the garage was < 2 qts left by the time they parked it,.........