BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:05 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

My daughter gets manic. When she is cycling it takes longer to pick up after her than to do it yourself!
Old 01-25-2018, 06:54 PM

Temps up in the 40s with sunshine, so the snow is starting to melt. At least two more days like this then 30s and sunny so by the time that all get's done the snow drifts should be a lot smaller.

Doninalaska, the silicone tape works great. Once I got the drive open the other day with the tractor I went out with the pickup and blade to widen, and then today I used it again to widen in another area. After two uses like that no problems raising the blade after some use, so it must not be sucking any air.

I would like it to last until spring so I can take the truck into the guy that sells and repairs this stuff and let him try to get the old hose off and put the new hose on.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:27 PM

Glad the tape is working for you. Keep it around for future repairs of this type. I have it around to plug those unexpected leaks around the place.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:36 AM
Master Pontificator

last couple days were cloudy and cold, sat inside doing nothing,

today is supposed to warm to around 30 degrees and be sunny, once it warms up i'll be out running chainsaw again, making a pizza on the woodstove for breakfast (peperoni and onion).

had to put a pile of cardboard boxes on the couch to keep the dog from sitting next to me, I will not let him have a leftover tub of sour cream again, the farts are loud and toxic
Old 01-26-2018, 01:30 PM

Warm and windy, so I propped the door of the hen house open so the cat can hunt for mice, if he so wishes.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:37 PM
Master Pontificator

around 35 and expected to go up to 40, sunny too

so very bored right now, I was up early and planned to cut more trees today, but my chainsaw broke and I don't have spare parts for it, so all 3 of my chainsaws are down for repairs, both tractors and the atv are still down for repairs, and the bike is down for repairs, and its sunday so there is nowhere to go within waling range. might try incinerating some branch piles if the wind ever dies down.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:32 PM

Sunny here too, but -20 F. this morning so I won't be spending much time outside. Just a few years ago, I used to be out all day in temps like this, but I can't take the cold like I used to and much of my cold weather gear is worn out. It sounds, Setanta, like you need a good mechanic nearby that you could swap and barter with. Having all your stuff down at once is a real bummer.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:37 PM
Master Pontificator

used to rely on a guy with a shop across from my old place (actually he is paying a land contract to buy my old place so he can use my old yard to make extra parking for his shop), but he also works as a post office contracted truck driver, and November through January 1st he was working 16 hours a day, every day (contractors don't have to get a day off). unfortunately he has had a run of worse luck than I have, a week after his schedule freed up, his house burned down, and the house was only 10 feet away from his garage. he is living in a hotel right now, everyone got out safely but they lost everything. got another mechanic moving in next door this spring (mentioned in the article I wrote for self reliance magazine), he finally sold his old place and has until April to be out. so I hopefully will have a mechanic next door this spring.

I did get one saw fixed earlier, the benefit of having 3 saws of the same make and model is having interchangeable parts, was able to swap out parts from 2 broken saws making 1 working saw and 1 very broken saw.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:58 PM

Glad to hear things are looking up. I imagine the firewood business will be on the downward slide in April, however.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:11 PM
Master Pontificator

true but he seems forward thinking enough that he would start stockpiling in spring. he came up first of January then fled back south since it was 30 below and bought the biggest outdoor boiler he could find (in preparation of moving up), then told me he would be buying a huge supply of wood when he moves up here.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:38 AM
Master Pontificator

15 degrees, cloudy, 10 mph wind

too cold to run chainsaw, cant burn branches because of wind, so I m experimenting in the kitchen. yesterday I made a quishe with a pastery crust made from flour, brown sugar, baking powder, a little water and 2 spoons of olive oil, came out flakey and soft and really easy to work. so this morning I made a second quishe. then I made another crust and filled it with 3 cans of pears (Aldi's pears, I didn't can any myself his year, they were underripe when canned so are hard and not very sweet, have 2 dozen cans like that). I sprinkled nutmeg and cloves and brown sugar over them as I added more pears, then I sprinkled the top with raisins, dry oatmeal, more sugar, and some flour. I use a canner to steam baked goods. don't know what this will come out like, but its a boring cold day and I have a sweet tooth.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:19 AM

It was supposed to be cold this week, but, as usual, the forecasts were wrong. It got up to 20 F. with 50+ MPH wind gusting to 70 MPH. The winds mix the air not allowing the cold air to settle to the surface. The wind and the mountains probably also generate a mini Chinook effects as well. I got the tractor out to plow the drifts away from the garage door and cleared the driveway. I didn't see any trees down here, but the were branches and limbs down all over the place. Winds are supposed to continue for several days, which means it will probably be calm tomorrow with either -20 F. temps or cloudy and snow.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:39 AM

It's been fairly normal here as far as weather is concerned. Normal is 34 so we'll have a couple days below that and then a couple days above that. Today and tomorrow should be on the above side with temps in the 40s. A strong south wind today.

Ended up with some bad news on my Jeep. I mentioned a few weeks ago my mechanic was changing the spark plugs and noticed some oil on the shop floor. He said he found the oil filter was loose. The dealer where I bought the Jeep has been changing the oil. We figured out when it got down to -18 or so one night if the filter wasn't tight enough the seal would contract in the cold and loosen it more where it would leak. Odd part was no oil pressure light or check engine light ever came on with all that oil gone.

He replaced all the oil that day and it seemed fine. But yesterday I started hearing something that didn't sound good. I had the mechanic listen and he felt it was a rod. So I had it towed to the dealership and we discussed the reason for the problem. I told them I wasn't expecting a free new engine, even though it wasn't my fault or the failure of a part on the Jeep. But I sure would like as much help as they can give me to soften the blow. We'll see what they're willing to do.

Since I'd bought a new boat in Nov, I figured I'd sell the old one come spring. Now it looks like I may need most of that money to pay for the engine repair. Hopefully the damage won't be too extensive and the cost won't be as high as I fear it will.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:45 AM
Master Pontificator

10 degrees and cloudy, sub zero wind chill

a couple dogs ran across my property the other day chasing wild turkeys, the owners were then seen wandering in my field with their truck parked off to the side (they pushed the barbed wire down to get across). I was out piling wood I cut and grabbed a 3 foot branch as a club and ran out at them, demanded to know what hey were doing on my property. they said their dogs were running coyote (I saw no coyote, just the turkeys the dogs were scaring and following behind). they got the dogs into their truck and left.

last 2 weeks coyote have been a problem getting closer to the cabin (less food available as winter goes on), acting less and less afraid of me, chickens, cattle, cats, and the dog are unnerved hearing them (cats hide, chickens make panic noise but are safe in the coop, dog shakes in fear) I go out to take a shot at them but they are just out of range in the darkness so can't get a clear shot.

put a wanted ad on the local classifieds looking for coyote traps and lure (offered to trade firewood for supplies) figuring to trap a few, kill them, and remind the rest what happens if they get too close to my farm. no actual responces yet, but I have got a few death threats from PETA members and other libtard scum and others who call me "worse than hitler" and proclaim they are reporting me to PETA and the DEC and state police etc (despite that coyote are in season, I am looking to deal with nussance coyote that are bothing my farm, and if I got the traps I would probably renew my license so I could sell the pelts, need traps first, all I got are muskrat traps and cage traps, also the DEC told me I can legally do whatever I want to nussance wildlife but if its out of season or no license I have to bury them, no pelts or meat kept).

just had to vent my irritation over these libtards, they are whats wrong with this country
Old 01-30-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
It's been fairly normal here as far as weather is concerned. Normal is 34 so we'll have a couple days below that and then a couple days above that. Today and tomorrow should be on the above side with temps in the 40s. A strong south wind today.

Ended up with some bad news on my Jeep. I mentioned a few weeks ago my mechanic was changing the spark plugs and noticed some oil on the shop floor. He said he found the oil filter was loose. The dealer where I bought the Jeep has been changing the oil. We figured out when it got down to -18 or so one night if the filter wasn't tight enough the seal would contract in the cold and loosen it more where it would leak. Odd part was no oil pressure light or check engine light ever came on with all that oil gone.

He replaced all the oil that day and it seemed fine. But yesterday I started hearing something that didn't sound good. I had the mechanic listen and he felt it was a rod. So I had it towed to the dealership and we discussed the reason for the problem. I told them I wasn't expecting a free new engine, even though it wasn't my fault or the failure of a part on the Jeep. But I sure would like as much help as they can give me to soften the blow. We'll see what they're willing to do.

Since I'd bought a new boat in Nov, I figured I'd sell the old one come spring. Now it looks like I may need most of that money to pay for the engine repair. Hopefully the damage won't be too extensive and the cost won't be as high as I fear it will.
It still seems that the dealer should carry most of the cost. I would also question why there was no warning...although I always want gauges as I never trust those little lights.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:20 PM

Yeah I'm thinking the dealer will need to cough up something on this. I'm at 114,000 miles, just over the 100,000 mile warranty which shouldn't matter in this case, but he was mentioning warranty, I assume thinking of a way to make someone else pay and not either of us.

I also brought up the fact of no warning lights, figuring this might give him another chance to lay the blame somewhere other then either of us.

Hey if I get an engine taken care of with little or no expense on my part, I don't care if they shift the blame to anything other then them. See they are also a very good account of mine and buy quite a bit from me. So I don't want to be burning any bridges.