BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:00 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

The nice string of sunny weather continues, there is a chance for rain tomorrow, but after that it looks like back to sunshine. It actually made it up to 70 on Sunday which is the first day of above normal temps in a long time. But a few degrees below normal isn't bad as long as the wind isn't blowing hard.

Almost have all of the wood from the maple tree split. It seems there is still some moisture in this wood, which surprises me. This was a big tree, the log is about 20" across with no bark. The wind blew it over where it hung up in some trees nearby. It stayed that way two or three years where we drove under it. Then I finally decided to take it down before it fell, and I pushed it off to the side of the road with my tractor. Then last year at this time I cut it into 8' to 12' lengths and brought it up near my house, at which point all the bark came off. So it spent the last year laying on some railroad ties to keep the logs off the ground with no bark. But after all that time there's still quite a bit of moisture in the wood. It splits hard, even though it's soft maple, and didn't burn well the one time I've run my stove this year.

I have quite a bit of dry hardwood, which will help, but I've also picked out a couple good dry dead cottonwood trees I can get quick. The cottonwood burns fast, but it's nice to have a little of that to go with the slower burning hard wood, or maple that still has some moisture.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:44 PM

The last week has been sunny and calm but a notch colder than the last 10 day forecast. High barometer pressure so I suspect that is helping keep it clear and such.

Not much new here in the bush. About every 2-3 days I start the kitchen wood stove in the morning. Or start the big basement furnace to take the chill off the house. Otherwise with the sun it stays cozy.

Have lost enough daylight I started the "chicken light" in the hen house. A 40 watt bulb on a timer to cycle morning and evening to give them a minimum of 12 hours light a day. Seems to be working OK as the girls are still minimum 4 up to 7 eggs a day out of seven producing hens. You go girls. Sweetie often has a bit of cooked scratch grain or some other warm treat for them. They really like that.

Today will be a short trip to town day. New air cleaner for chain saw, gas in van, container of diesel for the tractor, post office. Books for the rail station and both senior center libraries. I suspect we are about 1/3 through the 2 1/2 tons of books from the house cleaning. Sweetie is number 8 in the world for book registrations. She will be number 1 in Canada for some time I suspect.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:01 PM
Master Pontificator

The day started with a squirrel chase through my kitchen! I have no idea how it got in since we don't have a doggie door, but it was definitely in here. And the old dog was no help. He couldn't have caught that squirrel if it had jumped up into his mouth! But we love the decrepit old guy anyway.

So once that was over, and yes, the squirrel lived, I fed and made breakfast. Then hubby and I went off to town to buy a new washing machine to replace the one I killed on Saturday. I didn't want anything fancy since the more bells and whistles it has the more often/expensive repairs are. Finally settled on one, which was on sale and got more off for paying cash. Unfortunately, the store no longer keeps it's own warehouse so we couldn't throw it in the back of the pick up like we had planned. Sigh. So it won't be delivered until sometime on Friday. But that's still better than next week.

Then I took advantage of the nice, 63 degree weather to weed the flower beds around the house, clean the chicken coop, roll up and put away all the hoses, and check out the garden to see if anything survived the 2 days of heavy frost we've had. And I was pleasantly surprised to find the pepper plants almost unaffected by the frost. So I harvested a couple of peppers, a handful of green beans and another of raspberries. The tomatoes are dead, so I pulled the plants out. But I'm going to let the beans and peppers stay until the frost finally gets them so I'll just be thankful for whatever else they provide.

Paid some bills, went to the post office to mail a bunch of boxes for my son who works and can't get to the post office during the hours they are open as he is working 6 days a week right now. Ordered more pain meds for the dog, ordered some checks and put away the space heaters that I was using in the grooming shop as we did finally turn the heat on Sunday night in the house and in the grooming shop this morning. Then I cleaned out all the humidifiers that we'll be using for the rest of the winter. By the time I was done with all this, the weather had changed. It became cloudy and windy so I'm glad I finished the outside stuff earlier.

All in all, a fairly productive day!
Old 10-23-2018, 11:57 PM

I have spent the last week on family things, and I am pooped. I took the day off excepting for dealing with our sick dog and getting delivery of our new dryer- the old one is shot- and then I simply slept all afternoon.

And, I intend to take tomorrow off as well though I might mow a bit if the afternoon is nice. Because I need the time off. I am still tired.

The thing about homesteading, even on a tiny scale as I do, is that there is always something important to work on and so we rarely get weekends off. But I am tired. So, instead of making tomato sauce from our last dozen paste tomatos that I had set aside to ripen I simply gave them to the chickens, which excited them greatly. I think I got more enjoyment out of watching them flutter and squawk that I would have in getting one last baggie of tomato sauce. I have just been too busy to be giving them weeds to peck at.

So, tomorrow I will take mostly off. Just because I think I need another day off. I might putter a bit and I might not
Old 10-24-2018, 10:47 AM

Well it is the morning and one of my sugar canes is up!

Now Kansas winters are cold, and sometimes they are VERY cold. So I am treating these as house plants and I will set them out in the spring. I am hoping for a sweet harvest, but I will enjoy having these even if they only grow tall.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:57 PM

Rain came back this morning, but it won’t amount to much. Thought it would be a good time to get the oil changed in my Jeep. Nice part is the dealer has free internet so I could bring my IPad and have something to do while waiting.

Started looking at buying some fishing supplies from China and reselling on EBay or Amazon. Placed my first order thr other day, and plan to place a second order from another supplier today. Only down side is staying up late so I can communicate on their time.

Then had another company, that appears to be from China contact me through my YouTube e mail and wanted to know if I would be interested in getting some free samples of their fishing products to use and review in the videos we make. I guess we’ll have to see what they come up with.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:47 PM
Master Pontificator

Woke up to 30 degrees and frosty this morning! The chickens took one look outside when I opened the coop and decided to stay inside a little longer. Then they saw the scrap bucket and came out running!

I groomed a few dogs, placed some orders for grooming supplies, deep cleaned the grooming room and paid some bills. Made some meatballs and pasta for oldest son's lunches. I make enough for a few days at a time. Cheaper and healthier than TV dinners, for sure.

Hubby cut the grass before leaving for work this morning since they are calling for rain Friday night and Saturday. Glad he got it done, it's been a few weeks for some of the property. I placed my order for the latest Backwoods Home anthology today. Can't wait for it to get here! I sure do miss getting the magazine.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:11 AM

Nothing went right today.

Nada.

I took 1 1/2 days off because I was worn out, stressed out, and discouraged and this is my first day back being busy nothing went right today.

My sick dog is looking much better but he is having liquid diarrhea due to the antibiotic. Well he has another appointment tomorrow

The leaky faucet in my newly refinished tub is being hard on the new coating and it is trying to separate: the faucet has been dripping for 2 months and what I did to fix the tub is breaking down. And, Ron says he cannot get the stupid handle apart. He will try again tomorrow or the day after.

I do swagbucks for looking at ads for pennies: I sent away for $40 worth of on-line gift certificates and they do not work. None of them. The issuer wants me to sign up for virtual wallet ate $3 a month and I do not wish to. I am asking Swagbucks for the money back but it might take a while. Also, I won a $5 rebate to be used for shopping on line and the stupid thing has expired and the contest is not even over yet. Yes I have complained. I think I can kiss the $5 goodbye.

It is late, I am wide awake and frustrated, and it is not the dogs fault but I am heartily sick of cleaning up accidents. I am also not giving the dog his evening pill: I will explain to the vet tomorrow morning during his appointment.

It might be a very long night. Grrr.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:32 AM

Windy, partly overcast and colder today. Barometer is down (about standard) so prediction is for cold wind off the coast.

Today is the 100 yr anniversary of the deadliest accident of the BC ferry system. A ferry from Vancouver to Skagway Alaska grounded out near Skagway and sank with all aboard in very rough seas.

A whole bunch of coincidental things at the time, rough seas, poor communications of the time, so many places self quarantined because of the flu epidemic then ment rescue was too late finding the wreck and was little more than a recovery effort.

Then to make the disaster less noticeable, the first ships of the recovery effort arrived in Vancouver on November 11 in the midst of celebrating the end of WW1.

Both MIL and Sweetie have talked about accidents and many near misses in there time on the light houses. Not an area of the country to take lightly.

In the huge pile of books we got I have been reading a lot of Province history. It really is more than you would think.

Tomorrow is the fall book sale at the local library. We normally come out of there with 5 - 600 books. Just what we need, more books. But it is only twice a year, and winter is coming.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:24 PM
Master Pontificator

Terri, I'm so sorry that things aren't going well for you right now. Hopefully the vet will be able to switch out your dog's meds so at least that problem might be cleared up soon. Try a bland diet of white rice and boiled chicken, that might help too.

Woke up to another hard frost last night. We are expecting high winds and rain tonight and tomorrow and my son is planning two trips to the scrap yard tomorrow. I'm trying to convince him to put it off until next Saturday, but he's 21 and knows everything. What's a mom to do? So I'll work and worry until he's home, like I usually do.

I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things, filled the car with gas and came home to wait for the delivery of my new washing machine. They actually showed up on time! So did the contractor that we asked to give us an estimate on fixing our soffits. Usually we do all the repairs around here ourselves, but hubby doesn't like heights and our house in on the side of a hill, making the job much more difficult. And sending him up there just isn't worth the risk. We'll see what they come back with. We called 4 people and this is the only one who showed up, probably because he does work at my MIL's place and has for years. But I'm not beyond exploiting the family connection if necessary!
Old 10-26-2018, 04:17 PM

Countrymom, enjoy your new washing machine!

The vet did give us new antibiotics: the dog demonstrated the problem by having an episode of diarrhea in the waiting room. There was no warning, just suddenly there was poop. Plus he is now on a special diet. Basically, if he eats nothing but this one food and the foot-licking stops, then we know the allergens are out of his system. THEN we can add foods back one at a time.

My son is coming over to work for me: if I am lucky tomorrow he will work for me outside. There are a lot of things scattered around and a lot of leg work that needs doing before the weather changes
Old 10-27-2018, 01:47 AM

Everything was wet this morning. Have the rain gauge down for winter as I don't want it to freeze and bust. Colder.

To town this afternoon. Books to garbage, books to rail station.
Then to the fall library book sale. We took about 7 grocery totes of books to places and came home with about 9 grocery totes from the book sale. Hmmmm I see a problem there. However all the books from the library sale are going to find new homes. The books to garbage were beyond saving one way or another. So that has to be progress.... Right ??

Squirrel in the kitchen..... Not that is a thing that would be priceless on video. Would have liked to seen that issue. Only similar issue we have had was when the black bear came onto the porch with nose and eyeballs looking in at the bottom of the window in the door. But not for long.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:39 PM
Master Pontificator

snowing, around 28 degrees

my stalker relatives know i write for bwh so i been avoiding the forum, in case they know i was active here, really should have used a pen name or alias. got a few projects in the works i wish i could write about but can't (my relatives cannot be allowed any information on me or what i am doing).

despite the risks i am drawn back to read whats going on here, never had a squirrel in my kitchen (had raccoons nightly when i lived in renselaer falls but thats a long story), would be a funny video.

hunter88: i heated my place almost exclusivly with cottonwood for one year (was using that so i could sell the better wood), its a decent clean burning wood but highly underapreciated, like its relatives the poplar and the willow.

my own news: i should get one of those bumper stickers that says "i break for animals (i eat them and wear their skin)", been picking up raccoons skunks and even a fox by riding out in a 16 mile loop every morning. got a dozen furs on stretchers right now, and canned up about 30lb worth of coon meat, and got a bucket full of fat i plan to render to make salve with, or use as cooking lard. had to make my own tanning tools to do the job. thats one of my would have been writings.

also sharing a new dutch oven recipe, had a craving for wings lately but they are over $13 a dozen anywhere i look, even the raw wings at the meat dept in a store are insane and more expensive than any other chicken (funny since the wings used to be the least valued part). i made a substitute for wings by buying some about to expire thighs, cut the meat into close to wing size bits, cooked them for about 5 minutes in the dutch oven with a bit of oil, turned them over half way through (small pieces cooked real fast) took them out and poured cheap hot sauce on them, served with blue cheese and celary stalks. same flavor as wings but a lot more affordable.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:59 PM

I am 63 years old an I will never learn. Ever.

I let my husband and son work in the garden on a raised bed without be being there. Oops.

See, instead of them making me a second raised bed like we discussed they went and took apart my existing raised bed and started rebuilding it. This was hard on the mature strawberry plants that yielded so well this year........

Well it is extra work is all. And, my husband cannot find his more powerful drill so he cannot finish things today.

I got my son to move the used lumber to start a second bed. I am HOPING to get the beds set up before the weather turns bad! As it stands now I have gone from having one finished raised bed to having some unfinished raised beds, which will be a problem if they are not done when it is time to plant next spring.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:42 AM
Master Pontificator

We have been having a beautiful mild fall. Trying to keep up with the canning. We had a really big garden where everything grew pretty well. Plenty of wonderful canned goods. I started making pie filling using clear jel and canning it..this is my first year doing this. It has turned out wonderfully. I am grateful to.have a full pantry. I am raising my four grandchildren right now so the food will come in handy. I have been working on cleaning up the garden and putting it to bed for the winter.I live in the desert so will continue to water trees through the winter.
My husband has been busy hunting and the whole family has helped getting wood in and getting it stacked.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:53 PM

The weather man predicted rain this morning and so I planned to work inside.

It isn't raining.

Well, I got the most vital stuff done yesterday: I painted more landscape timbers for raised beds. With the weather changing soon that was VERY time sensitive!

I still need to finish laying out the beds, and then I can focus on filling them. If it never does rain I might get that done today if I have the energy after doing all this housework.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:35 PM

Backwwoodshome is again available on paper, and I have subscribed.

My problem with the online magazine is that I cannot keep things organized on-line. I keep wanting to turn the page and it IRRITATES me to no end that I cannot. Instead I have to fish around until I find something.

I have no problem with the forums because everything is organized for me, but, I could NOT tell you where last years tax info is, etc. Fortunately I have paper copies of important things! And I do ALSO have trouble finding articles on on-line magazines and so I no longer subscribe to them.

Me and computers are like my MIL and answering machines: she will only "press one" a couple of times, and if she is not redirected to a live person by then she would give up and hang up. So I only subscribe to paper magazines. I DID also order last years anthology, as I can get that on paper as well.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:27 PM

Overcast, wet, a balmy 1C this morning.
I could hear it rain a bit last night some time. My rain gauge is up for the winter so don't know how much. They do make a freeze proof gauge, but they are big bucks.

Last day of the month. Yesterday was a busy day. To town for some errands. Still working on books. Have all the recent library sale books processed and ready to re distribute. Have about the last quarter of the other books left to sort out.

To the local trades college yesterday. Carpenter shop has picnic tables as one of there first year projects. They usually are for sale after grading. I got two that were available at the moment. One to replace our old one and one for a gift. Can't beat the deal as I could barely buy the materials for the price. They also gave me a pair of last semesters well used saw horses. Even with hard student use they are better than my old set. They stack nested really nice, so will have to reverse engineer them and build another set next summer. Or buy another picnic table. That may be the easiest.

Back Wood Home is back in print............ OK.......
After all the kerfuffle, heart ache, and hurt feeling over them going OUT of print, I'm not ready to jump back on that band wagon soon.
My 5 cents of opinion.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:30 PM

Yeah, Tim, can we trust that they won't go out of print again?? 4 F. here this morning (~-15.6 C.) so you might have a cold spell coming your way. Snow over the weekend, so it makes the nights brighter and the world appear cleaner, at least off the main roads. We are back from our trip to Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma and Iowa and we are settling in for the winter now. Wife is finishing an indoor painting job that she started in March and got too busy to finish. I am trying to organize some of my reloading stuff. I don't shoot much anymore, but I still have all the dies and stuff to reload. I already have stuff for my immediate needs, so I will probably pack everything away.

We still have tomatoes ripening in the garage, but other than that, everything is put to sleep, dried, canned, frozen or stored so it is time to relax a while until seed starting begins again in a few months. Of course Halloween tonight, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years all fall in the interim.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:44 PM

Real life happens. I spent much of yesterday being cleared for cataract surgery, and it will be done near the end of November. Then I hit Walmart and then we ate dinner and waited for trick or treaters. We got 2 this year. And, because I was at Wal mart with my generous husband we came home with 2 bags of candy for just in case we got a lot, which means we have most of 2 bags of candy to eat.

I will freeze much of it. Our waistlines will thank us later