BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial

Financial Anything money-related that does not have a dedicated board.

Old 12-12-2017, 03:09 PM

Default Cities scramble China bans plastic scrap

Yes true nuff China has placed a ban on our recycled plastic. This has caused cities to scramble for a new home for our perfect recycle system. That home will be the land fill. You can bet your last dollars we will see waste disposal prices increase as dumps and recycle transfer stations stop taking in our recycled items.

Here is one link:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/less-ca...ban-1508493603

Now that the price of natural gas and propane is cheap here it is easier to manufacture virgin plastic to sell to China. As the announcement hit the air wave gas prices have risen. This past spring and summer it was rumored that a ban may be enacted.

http://www.recyclingproductnews.com/...ity-import-ban

On a local note we are still waiting on the great waste wood and wood pellet manufacturing power plant that is a year + past due to be on line. I'm not holding my breath and it will be interesting to see if they start to burn waste other than wood scraps from construction and the paper industries.

Lets ask if Africa holds any value for this industry since it is the only place left to get really cheap labor in house.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:07 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I have wondered for some time if caskets and coffins might be a good use for recycled plastic. I guess you would have to weight them down in areas with high water tables, but it seems to me that plastic "body boxes" would eliminate the expense of metal and the use of vaults, since the plastic could be made water-tight and is non degradable. The brass now used for caskets could be put to better use--such as ammo--and the plastic would be buried in cemeteries instead of landfills.