Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance

Self-reliance Self-reliance topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:44 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

LOL!!

I learned that trick, living in the boonies and the C-130s or helicopters would slowly cruise our hillside while I was trying to get more than the usual farmer's tan... many moons ago.

Fear is a real good useful friend - when it motivates me to do what I need to get done; when it tells me to protect myself. If all it's doing is making me hide, cringe, self-censor and other general misery... then, it's not so good. That said, I do try to mind "time, place and mixed company" rules. And we don't really "get out much" like a lot of people do... not for any real reason, just that there are things to do at home I want/need to do and there's not really much "out there" that sounds like it's worth it, to us.

Hubs is old school with vehicles; each one has a book that records service and when we buy gas. The jeep is the one we drive the most for errands, shopping and general getting out, puttering around... I noticed the last time we filled it up... the previous tank of gas lasted 2 months. Typically, looking at the records, we were getting a month of trips out of a tank. It's an '06 and it's only just now turned over 21,000 miles. We did put in a KN air filter on it. We just don't see the need to "go" like some people do, I guess. And it does help us maintain a low profile - but we didn't set out to do this on purpose. And we're certainly not going stir-crazy and aren't bored!

Old 02-19-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehairedidiot View Post
Don't they win, if we voluntarily censor ourselves? Isn't that like giving up? Being so afraid that you don't even talk to other people? What's happening is bad enough, I just can't let 'em make me miserable, terrified, or unable to connect with other people 'coz I'm afraid who's listening. I'm just not the type to voluntarily hand over that much power over myself, my ideas, my life. And besides, we need each other.

Bob: what kind of bisquits are good with fresh drone? How many different ways can the parts be re-used and do ya have any recipes?

LOL.
The problem with cooking a drone is the size of pot you need. Now the big ones will feed a million people because they take one bite and spit it out. Maybe with enough catchup it would work We could call it drone nuggets because parts are parts
Old 02-19-2013, 02:18 AM

Gravy! You must have gravy! I know I can gag down pretty much anything if it's drowning in gravy! Guess I'll have to stock up on those powdered gravy mixes by the case. I've never eaten drone before. Guess it'll be an "acquired" taste if I manage to "acquire" one!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcrowder View Post
Gravy! You must have gravy! I know I can gag down pretty much anything if it's drowning in gravy! Guess I'll have to stock up on those powdered gravy mixes by the case. I've never eaten drone before. Guess it'll be an "acquired" taste if I manage to "acquire" one!
Tastes just like chicken from what I've heard. But they say that about everything.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:28 AM

Saw something on TV about the next generation of drones.

The imaging resolution will be incredible, meaning they won't need to be as low to the ground.

Won't be long before we won't be able to be aware of their presence, much less have any hope of downing one.

Plus, they generally have IR capability, which can be a challenge.

I've given a lot of thought to drones. I have no intentions of doing anything illegal (at least nothing that's illegal now) but I value my privacy. I think there's a lot you could do to make your homestead look less interesting from above. Finding solid information isn't easy though and most of us don't have the resources to do any sort of testing.

I wonder if any members with recent military experience would have any advice.

My concerns are less with the military and more with local LE or criminals who could gain access to this technology - some of which is already privately available.

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:49 AM

Yeah, I've been thinking about this too. We get a lot of flyover from the military and coast guard, already.

The concept of camo - hiding in plain sight - is what I'm going with. The people who used to grow pot in OH, would plant between the rows of corn in a field so it wouldn't be so obvious from above... or throw seeds out car windows on back roads, so that it would grow wild along the ditches, in the other "weeds".

So, I'm trying to keep my work on the property consistent (even from the air) with what someone would expect of all the other properties around us. It helps that we have a lot of trees - maritime forest - too. A person could hide pretty effectively under the larger pittisporum trees... the foxes do!
Old 02-22-2013, 02:43 PM

Speaking of Drones...

AQ put together a handy tipsheet for drone avoidance.

Here's an article about it:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/02...ng-u-s-drones/

And this is the relevant text...

These tactics are:

1 – It is possible to know the intention and the mission of the drone by using the Russian-made “sky grabber” device to infiltrate the drone’s waves and the frequencies. The device is available in the market for $2,595 and the one who operates it should be a computer know-how.

2 – Using devices that broadcast frequencies or pack of frequencies to disconnect the contacts and confuse the frequencies used to control the drone. The Mujahideen have had successful experiments using the Russian-made “Racal.”

3 – Spreading the reflective pieces of glass on a car or on the roof of the building.

4 – Placing a group of skilled snipers to hunt the drone, especially the reconnaissance ones because they fly low, about six kilometers or less.

5 – Jamming of and confusing of electronic communication using the ordinary water-lifting dynamo fitted with a 30-meter copper pole.

6 – Jamming of and confusing of electronic communication using old equipment and keeping them 24-hour running because of their strong frequencies and it is possible using simple ideas of deception of equipment to attract the electronic waves devices similar to that used by the Yugoslav army when they used the microwave (oven) in attracting and confusing the NATO missiles fitted with electromagnetic searching devices.

7 – Using general confusion methods and not to use permanent headquarters.

8 – Discovering the presence of a drone through well-placed reconnaissance networks and to warn all the formations to halt any movement in the area.

9 – To hide from being directly or indirectly spotted, especially at night.

10 – To hide under thick trees because they are the best cover against the planes.

11 – To stay in places unlit by the sun such as the shadows of the buildings or the trees.

12 – Maintain complete silence of all wireless contacts.

13 – Disembark of vehicles and keep away from them especially when being chased or during combat.

14 – To deceive the drone by entering places of multiple entrances and exits.

15 – Using underground shelters because the missiles fired by these planes are usually of the fragmented anti-personnel and not anti-buildings type.

16 – To avoid gathering in open areas and in urgent cases, use building of multiple doors or exits.

17 – Forming anti-spies groups to look for spies and agents.

18 – Formation of fake gatherings such as using dolls and statues to be placed outside false ditches to mislead the enemy.

19 – When discovering that a drone is after a car, leave the car immediately and everyone should go in different direction because the planes are unable to get after everyone.

20 – Using natural barricades like forests and caves when there is an urgent need for training or gathering.

21 – In frequently targeted areas, use smoke as cover by burning tires.

22 – As for the leaders or those sought after, they should not use communications equipment because the enemy usually keeps a voice tag through which they can identify the speaking person and then locate him.

Marxism: The ultimate illusory fantasy.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offgridbob View Post
I will do whatever it takes to stand by the Constitution of the United States of America. I gave an oath as a serviceman ,and as a police officer. nothing has released me of that responsibility. I will be an enemy of anyone who tries and usurp the Constitution . Not much more to say.

Yeah, it's that bit about "foreign or DOMESTIC" in that oath, huh? Husband took that oath as well and stands by it too.

I don't even discuss politics with my mother. It's a lost cause and we only end up with her yelling at me. At least my Dad will listen and have inteligent discussions on it. I think deep down he leans a little more towards our way of thinking but to keep peace in the home he agrees with my Mom on things.

Not totally sure where my in-laws stand but I'm pretty sure they are much closer to our ideals although they aren't what you would call preppers. They don't "stock" anything or have not prepared in that sense (that I know of) but they are, I guess you would say proud, of our canning that we do every year.

We're slowly doing what we can now and when my husband retires for good we're hoping to buy property somewhere in the TN/KY/WV area, build our homestead if it doesn't have a house already and just expand what we are doing now. I would like for us to be capable of "hosting" family should the need arise.

I would like to hope it doesn't come to it, but I just see things getting worse before they get better - if they get better.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:38 PM

just so every knows the rest of the oath says :

"and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice."
Old 03-09-2013, 11:41 PM

when I hear a question like this I keep thinking of the Swamp Fox shows on disney when I was a kid.

"Swamp Fox Swamp Fox hiding in the glen, no body know where the Swamp Fox been...."

unconventional warfare might become the rule of the day. and the gov will call them domestic terrorists, and they will call themselves freedom fighters.

just a thought.

dean
Old 03-10-2013, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
just so every knows the rest of the oath says :

"and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice."
I don't obey anything that is not Constitutional and I'm a civilian now and can think for myself
Old 03-10-2013, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offgridbob View Post
I don't obey anything that is not Constitutional and I'm a civilian now and can think for myself
OGB, I agree completely. But I tired of this oath thing where people conveniently forget the rest of the oath they took.
I took the same one -" more than once" and did so voluntarily I might add.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
OGB, I agree completely. But I tired of this oath thing where people conveniently forget the rest of the oath they took.
I took the same one -" more than once" and did so voluntarily I might add.
Then I am sure you had the same classes I did from your JAG officers. If that President or Officer gives you an order that is not lawful and you obeyed it then you are in the wrong. So if it was in conflict with the constitution, UCMJ, Geneva Conventions etc you best not obey that order
Old 03-11-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Then I am sure you had the same classes I did from your JAG officers. If that President or Officer gives you an order that is not lawful and you obeyed it then you are in the wrong. So if it was in conflict with the constitution, UCMJ, Geneva Conventions etc you best not obey that order
Well it's been many decades but yes. I remember it as an order you did not have to obey . But you better be dam darn sure not just a belief or your interpretation. Right ?

Last edited by MissouriFree; 03-11-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:56 PM

"If we censor ourselves, don't they win ?"

No..... I don't think so. Because I will always be in charge to choose the level of "me" I choose to share with any given group at any given time or situation......

KnowwhatImean....

Good luck