BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:00 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

The nice string of sunny weather continues, there is a chance for rain tomorrow, but after that it looks like back to sunshine. It actually made it up to 70 on Sunday which is the first day of above normal temps in a long time. But a few degrees below normal isn't bad as long as the wind isn't blowing hard.

Almost have all of the wood from the maple tree split. It seems there is still some moisture in this wood, which surprises me. This was a big tree, the log is about 20" across with no bark. The wind blew it over where it hung up in some trees nearby. It stayed that way two or three years where we drove under it. Then I finally decided to take it down before it fell, and I pushed it off to the side of the road with my tractor. Then last year at this time I cut it into 8' to 12' lengths and brought it up near my house, at which point all the bark came off. So it spent the last year laying on some railroad ties to keep the logs off the ground with no bark. But after all that time there's still quite a bit of moisture in the wood. It splits hard, even though it's soft maple, and didn't burn well the one time I've run my stove this year.

I have quite a bit of dry hardwood, which will help, but I've also picked out a couple good dry dead cottonwood trees I can get quick. The cottonwood burns fast, but it's nice to have a little of that to go with the slower burning hard wood, or maple that still has some moisture.