BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > After Sunset > History

History history n. A record or narrative description of past events and times.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:35 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default What Really happened ?

this morning i was visiting a person i have nowen for several years. my family has been planning for winter, as it is not too far away and it requires a bit more to make it than the other seasons.

this person is not ready.
this person has always given a history of himself as a hardcore survivalist with vast knowledge of everything.
"dud i was raise on a farm , im a rancher/survivalist!!!" he crys when im tryin to give him advise, " i dont need to be told how to do things !!!

then
this morning, he needed to borrow money to put gas in his car, he said he went shopping and his 'food' cost more then he realized. it was all walmarts fault, he said, they charge too much!!! now he is broke again. no money.

i looked at a sight i have seen hundreds of times, as he put away his "food" .
people crying about the HI cost of food, telling me they dont like my solution, then go to the store an get hundreds worth of cola, bags of candy, cookies, iciecream chips.

all garbage they shouldnt eat. but they are smart americans and claim they nowe whats bestest for them and everyone else.

as he put his snack cakes on the counter, complaining about the hi cost of living, i asked him once again, why not a bag of potatoes, bag of flour, bag of beans ,

he has heard this before from me, and he dosnt like it, he has had enough of my advise and tells me so. " DUD !!! how am i going to cook any of that stuff ???
HOW!?!? he yells, shaking his outstretched hands at me.
i dont have an $4 second hand store electric fry skillet like you do !!!

why not? dont you believe a person should have whole foods stored in quantity and nowe how to cook real meals ?

"of course i do ! i grew up on a farm where we grew all our own food! iv told you this before! " he yelled.

"now give me 40 bucks i need gas"

Do people really not nowe their own history ?

if people, the human race in general, could, Would all take a look at ourselves, and really THINK, and stop believing the lies we have made up about ourselves in our minds, stop thinking we nowe it all.

what would we realize ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kKXBm78fJM

what really happened ?

Last edited by sethwyo; 09-17-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:29 PM

Tell me you didn't give this fool money ??
Old 09-20-2018, 08:34 PM
Master Pontificator

This is the new normal for Americans. We just love to be able to place the blame on someone else for our short comings.

Why did he not put a few things back when the bill came to more than he expected? As you said, buying basic ingredients and cooking for himself would be cheaper, but not as easy. But people want what they want and they want it now. No one is willing to work hard/sacrifice now to attain their long range goals.

That's what is wrong with this country.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:00 PM

Did anyone click the link i provided ?
Old 09-21-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwyo View Post
Did anyone click the link i provided ?
I did, but, you realize you are preaching to the choir?

When you are on line a person can choose who they are, even if it is by accident. Now it is true that I am handicapped, but I was going to be a farmer since I was a small child, and I would have made it if I had not lost my health. I do have the book learning and 40 odd years of gardening.

I am not prepared.

It is true that I have a garden and that I freeze the excess and that I have chickens and that I sometimes give advice on the things that I took classes for, but I am not prepared. My small pantry, a couple buckets of rice, 8 chickens, a garden, and some dwarf fruit trees would only give my husband and I a snack a day and well I know it!

But, I can come on here and speak about food production and preservation and cooking over coals vs. cooking over sticks- I have done both- and possibly give the wrong impression very, very easily.

I also know how to cook over a "hobo stove"- in theory at least- but I have not done it as today I froze a cup full of okra and yesterday I made and froze a pint of tomato sauce set aside some big okra for seeds for nest year and today I still need to use some of those excess eggs to make brownies with, and while I must sit down a lot there is so MUCH still to do and then my legs get tired and I must sit again!

Denial is not a river in Egypt, and I do it all the time. I see myself as a homesteader but in reality I have 8 chickens, potted vegetables on the deck, and a 20 by 20 garden. Also 2 buckets of rice downstairs.

I often call myself a prepper or a homesteader and I regard myself as one, but I have been a housewife for too long to not realize that I am not capable of producing many of our calories. But then MiGardener puts out a youtube where he raised 100 pounds of potatos in a 3' by 12' bed or some such thing, and I go "HHMMmmm" and I am off again.

Self delusion is really very easy: the only difference between me and your friend is that I can catch myself doing it.

Usually.

Mostly.

I am TOTALLY going to raise potatos next year: my husband is going to build me another raised bed. I have bought and stained the wood with preservative and it is ready for him. I just love driving a small pickup: I buy something large and I ask for help loading it and they do.

Sure your friend is in denial. As you have said there ARE second hand stores around. He does have a point when he pleads poverty, though. Especially if he has no yard. He might have been raised on a farm but the gent has no mental flexibility. He learned one thing and not been able to adapt to seeing the value of the little things. True, I only produce about 150 calories a day for the 2 of us, but have you seen the price of fresh okra lately??? It is great once you learn how to fry it crispy: We eat like kings.

And so it is terribly easy to see myself as a homesteader even though almost all of my food comes from a store. My mind knows what to do but my body simply refuses.

Your friend is so stuck on large he cannot see the benefit of small. But small adds up, especially if he buys bread and peanut butter instead of cookies and uses the savings on a hot plate.

Still, denial happen with all of us.

Edited to add: I am unable to prep for a disaster as big as the youtube that you posted. And so I do not worry about it. Statistically speaking it probably will not happen anytime soon.

Se how easy it is? I CANNOT prep for that and so I do not worry about it. Instead I will get up and use some of those eggs and be happy. Denial? Perhaps.

Last edited by Terri; 09-21-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:24 AM

i wonder if the idea that humans evolved from monkys is taught in school as history or science?
i hear that in the 'school' they are teaching little boys that they should be little girls instead. and teaching little girls that they should dress and act like boys.

the same people who tell us our 'history' as humans, tell us this.

people nowe everything. they are so smart. i love listening to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-90KoNKK0E
Old 09-22-2018, 03:15 PM

60-odd years ago the theory of evolution was taught in science: I suppose it still is.

As for the transgender stuff, I was born straight. I assume that transgender people were born that way as well. I do not see this as a result of anything that is taught in school
Old 09-22-2018, 07:00 PM

. . . . millions an millions an millions of years ago dinosaurs stomped around eating eachother and pooping all over the place, it was a terrable thing to see. Good thing there wore no humans around to see it . . . . say the doctors an lawyers an scientist an school teachers an pill popers.

The park rangers, school teachers & my family all told me the devils tower was a cooled hardened volcano core. The 'scientists' told us all this.

https://youtu.be/1TPw4o-C0-o

[url]https://youtu.be/60yU5rkjVwY[/ur]

I was watching the weather channel this morning, i wanted to see the forcast but insted they are promoting an upcomming series about scientist. It is a propaganda film. Many more people are loosing faith in scientist, many people say our history is nothing like we have been told. Some people say some things in science are nothing like we have been told.

How much can be believed from someone who claims that 1+1 =3, and that we need to accept this equation because we are not properly trained to look at things around us and add it up for ourselves ?

Last edited by sethwyo; 09-22-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:57 PM

I dunno, Seth: the devils tower sure LOOKS like what a volcano would leave when it was worn away!

Did you MEAN for your latest link to be for a Kellogs infomercial?
Old 09-22-2018, 09:43 PM

Default Money from one fool to another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
I did give him the money. I also gave him our spare electric cooker.
"Roast with potatoes & carrats tomorrow night ?" i asked.

Last night i went to give him a phone message. He wont get a trac fone to have constant phone service, he told me my trac fone service is a ' rip off' and f*** ing stupid. but gets 'unlimited' that IS limited to 30 days then they shut you off when you cant get to walmart to buy anotger card ,so he had to come borrow ours.

He has not used the cooker. He says the smell of cooking food makes him sick. He then told me twenty times in the next two minutes that ' he feels live vomitting even thinking about the stink of cooking food'

He told to stop describing to him cooking foods or he will barf.

https://youtu.be/Wimr5Gyml90

I cant figuer it out. Does he need help or not ? The lies are destroying us ~ so why not accept the truth ?

Last edited by sethwyo; 09-22-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:54 PM

Why are the lies destroying you? Or did you mean it was destroying your relationship?

I have a daughter who's veracity depends on how mentally stable she is at that moment (she has bipolar). I simply accept that she is not and cannot be honest at ll times, and let it go

Your friend sounds like he is entertaining in small doses!
Old 09-23-2018, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
I did give him the money. I also gave him our spare electric cooker.

Quite frankly.... This person seems totally off the wall psychotic.
And just as frankly you are being an "enabler" to this behavior.

I realize it can be a tough row to hoe when this is a neighbor and someone you have known for a time etc. But you also know what it will take to extricate yourself from this situation. Good luck.

Remember. I'm not a psychologist, but I did pay for ones education.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:13 PM

Default They who control the past control the future

Enabling psycopaths who tell us what to do, what to think, the 'way things are' ' the way things wore'

https://youtu.be/VIUuJ0vZk-E
Old 09-23-2018, 09:58 PM

Seth, alas, I am having trouble figuring out the one main thing that you are trying to say.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:27 PM

Default Hosted by charlton heston

https://youtu.be/6oGqPc6poS4