BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Education/Homeschool

Education/Homeschool Homeschooling, adult education, teaching self-reliance, and anything else education-related.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:13 PM
Master Pontificator

Default I'm trying to get this section going again!

Even though I have no kids, I am trying to get people excited about this section again. I can't count how many times I have read and enjoyed these threads.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:55 PM

I don't have kids either, but I was homeschooled myself so I definitely have an interest in the section too
Old 03-22-2017, 03:48 AM

Default Goodluck with that

I been trying to find ways for educating people myself. I told people not to rely on the school curriculum every school grade children is forced to but nobody seems to care and goes on their lives worried about themselves more than how to get our freedom back on tract. Our kids should not need anymore bachelors requirements or even a high school diploma just to get engineer jobs.

I long given up but I had a fix, I myself can teach mathematics and science and if everyone took advantage of it, we can all be genius and every kid as young as 7 will know enough that it will abolish the education system altogether.

This is just the science and mathematics aspects of it, true history can be learned and encouraged as well. I would love someone with a background to get started on it and highlight the things for all of us to be active learners.

The point being is that we can all take part of it right now. All we need to do is devote our time, get organize and be active so we can be part of a true change. We all can share information of current events. This is a must.

I do not want to see this US fall just because were to stupid enough not to see the lies and manipulation through our mass media through our current president. All it takes is a justification to sign one executive order that implements all the other and bam, gone. This is a big deal.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:34 PM

We homeschool. Kids are 8, 6 and 2. Would love to see more traffic on this subject here.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:44 AM
Master Pontificator

What curriculum are you using? We used Abeka with the videos. Took field trips and all that good stuff. The student is now 43!

I'm going to move back to the city so I can continue my education. This small town only has a Christian bookstore and they have a limited selection.

The town refused the opportunity to have a community college.

The town I've chosen to move to has so many opportunities for learning that I'll be busy for years. There's a university where I can audit classes for free, a community college AND a Senior University (for old timers) that offers free classes to those 65 and older.

And bookstores! So many bookstores....😀
Old 04-25-2017, 02:53 AM
Master Pontificator

Sounds like you have a plan. Me, no kids, but like homeschooling.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:24 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I still have an interest in homeschooling too, largely because I think it's so important in order to save children from the brainwashing they get in public school. However, I too, have no children who are still children. My boy attended public school but didn't do very well there. Unfortunately, I was young and never considered homeschooling. Many years later, my wife and I raised our nephew for several years, and we homeschooled him after one semester in public school.

Homeschooling can be much more than parents teaching their children what they know at home. Not only do we have the technology now to expose them to whatever level of teaching we like, but groups of parents can form community schools apart from the government-operated ones, as long as you don't live in California.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:38 PM

We had 6 children and homeschooled for 22 years. When we started, we were part of a group led by public school teachers who did not want their own children educated in the environment in which they themselves worked. It was scary then, though, as the homeschooling movement was just starting and few laws protected homeschoolers from the truancy laws. The bad homeschoolers are always held up, up the thousands of good, conscientious home educators who want the best for their children are usually ignored or grouped in with the bad ones. A number of states have now developed "hybrid" systems, which are half public school and half homeschool. In the early years, our homeschool group hired teachers to teach the subjects the home educators (usually the moms) felt inadequate to teach, such as advanced math, some science, and foreign languages.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:03 PM

When we decided to homeschool our nephew, the school principal told us that he wasn't sure that he could approve that, after which we told him we weren't asking for his approval but were simply letting him know that he wouldn't be in school the following semester.

Approval isn't necessary in Maine. There is are some curriculum standards that need to be followed, but it's not detailed. One of the things that have to be taught, interestingly, is Maine history, which we did, although I learned later that the public school wasn't teaching Maine history.

In Maine, also, homeschooled children can attend public school classes or participate in any public school activities. Our nephew attended the choir and band classes at the school and participated in a school play.

There are so many more options now. Many states, including Maine, now have virtual public schools, where students can complete elementary and high school from home, entirely online. I understand that Florida has an even more comprehensive virtual school program, intended to take the place of expensive school facilities in rural communities, but which is available to any Florida student.

There are also several accredited private school programs that are online, some secular, some religious in nature.

Unfortunately, they didn't have enough of an enrollment to keep it going, but parents in a nearby town leased a closed elementary school building and held a community school, not affiliated with the public school. They had a principal and a couple of teachers, but the teachers mostly facilitated a curriculum that was a combination of online, DVD, and workbook-based material, available to help students who had questions or who needed special help, but without standing up in front giving lessons. Students worked at their own pace, and several grades could use the same room.

Other places have homeschool groups, where parents who are particularly good in one area of the curriculum would teach that segment to children outside of their own family, and so on. They could also get together for sports and social activities, to avoid the isolation of attending school solely at home.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:51 PM
Master Pontificator

We homeschooled 25 years. High school seems to be the stumper for most folks, as they get cold feet when thinking of trying to homeschool through 12th grade. We did for all 3 of ours so I'm open for questions about that or anything else.