BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Water

Water Drinking water, wells, ponds, saving, purifying, etc.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:04 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I pulled this link from one of Martin's ( Alchemy Acres ) posts.
A detailed explanation.
http://www.clemson.edu/irrig/Equip/ram.htm
Old 07-16-2017, 05:18 PM

Default 2017 update - water to pump water

Wow - started this thread in May or 2010 - time for an update and an attempt to brainstorm with like-minded people. In some ways have not made much progress and in other ways have made some.

First let me say that I think direct lift water wheels, spiral water wheels, overshot / undershot, breast shot water wheels to provide power and ram pumps each may be the best for specific situations as well as perhaps the wheel to power a low RPM pump.

I did buy a Zelda I low RPM pump a couple of years ago, but still haven't developed a water wheel to turn it. Two smaller emergency low RPM pumps were purchased previously and worked well in tests - describe in previous posts on this thread.

We have two applications:
(1) Volume of water, but low head creek

A creek with a fair amount of water, but not very much head. Fairly easy to get 1 foot of head with a dam or extended pipe, but even a dam to give 2 feet of head is a significant undertaking and we already do this in two locations to direct creek water with a 2 foot dam diversion into ditches on the uphill side of the meadow.,

There is a third area where it is difficult to get the creek water into a higher 3rd ditch. This is the area that a low head pump might really help. I haven't done a good measure, but my guess is 5 to 10 feet from the bottom of the creek to the high side of the meadow.

The elevation gain, makes it hard for a direct lift pump which can lift water to 50 to 75 % of the wheel - which would require the wheel to be fairly large.

Spiral pumps can operate with lower heads if you trap the paddles in a channel and depending on the number of coils, can easily pump up 10 feet elevation gain. However, they don't tend to pump much water - great for a tank, maybe not so much for irrigation. Still a spiral pump runs 24 hours a day and might pump and arbitrary target of 5,000 gallons per day and multiple pumps could be installed down the stream. Looking into this at the present. This linked page and included videos and some others on Youtube have me considering a spiral pump again:
http://www.landtohouse.com/land-to-h.../#comment-1098

(2) Less water more fall

We have a 2nd situation where we have less water - plenty for a pipe, but not to drive a paddle. Several pump approaches might work, including the Ram Pump, but for us this is unnecessary because we can run the pipe farther up the small stream. We've installed 300 feet of 2 inch lay flat hose, 30 feet of 2 inch PVC pipe and 10 feet of 3 inch PVC pipe above that. We get quite a bit of water out of the 2 inch hose, but perhaps not that much pressure. When we attach to a 100 foot 3/4 inch garden hose the the fairly large volume of water out of the 2 inch pipe goes to not very much water and not all that much pressure at the end of the 100 ft. Can run a small sprinkler.

I think we need bigger connection hoses, but also going to experiment with adding another 100 feet of 3 inch pipe up the canyon to increase the pressure. But strange pressure now out of the 2 inch is a little hard to work with - just really reduced at the end of the 100 ft garden hose.

Experimenting with 2 "Xcel Wobbler" sprinkers. Not like "big gun sprayers", but seem to be wind tolerant and not much evaporation before the drops hit. They are limited to spraying a circular area.

Anyone else have any interesting items to share?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_4336_400.jpg (17.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 101_4349_400.jpg (13.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 08-06-2018, 11:14 PM

Default Facebook group for water wheel pumps

I've been working on this project for quite a while - time to get more help ! I've setup a public facebook group for water wheel pumps - if interested, please have a look and share your ideas. Thanks
https://www.facebook.com/groups/240458583255303