BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Homesteading

Homesteading Talk or ask questions about homesteading in general, your homestead, or any other related topic.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:58 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Good News/Bad News

You may have noticed that I've been AWOL for the past few months (and may have your own opinion on whether that's good news or bad news.)

GN: We bought 40 ac in S/cental WI about 6 y/a in anticipation of retirement in 2016.

BN: We had to live in a travel trailer while building our house.

GN: that actually worked out pretty well. We weathered one summer and almost two whole winters in there in relative comfort.

BN: while suffering one of the coldest winters in the past 140, a late Jan thaw got the piled snow melting and infiltrated the power cable, shutting off power. The weather turned frigid again that night, and with the furnace rendered nonfunctional, we awoke in the AM with teeth chattering and unable to restore power.

GN: The new house was coincidentally ready for basic occupancy, so at least we had a place of refuge available.

BN: With no heat in the trailer, the plumbing froze & ruptured. Water leaked to a depth of two inches on the floor.

GN: We were covered by insurance! They totaled the thing and quickly reimbursed us for almost what we had paid for it and probably more than we could have sold it-- and no need to spiffy it up for presentation.

The utility company had to extend the cable for phone/internet another 300 ft down to the new house and wouldn't do it with frozen ground and then they were too busy with repairs of main cables broken by heaving ground after such a hard winter to get us on-line until yesterday.

Our wood burning boiler system used about a cord of oak per month to keep our 18oo sqft of living space and 970 sq ft of garage/shop comfortable in this brutal winter and early spring. We had a few days of 80-85deg weather already this May and the earth-berm set up has kept inside temps in mid 60s, so I'm pleased. No AC should be needed.

I still have interior painting, trim & flooring to finish and haven't yet started on the natural rock/cedar exterior finish. After working 10 hr days, 7 days a week from July to Dec, I'm slowing down and enjoying things more now.

But there's still another 25 ac of that #@%^$ wild rose to chop out by hand. They're easy enough to chop out, but those thorny shoots fight back!
Old 05-22-2018, 03:58 PM

Glad things are coming around for you, Doc. The problems of retiring to the North instead of the South.... My only suggestion for the roses is try to cut them back a few weeks before freeze-up. Sometimes if you can get plants to actively grow as they go into winter, they don't come back. The alternative would be brush hog or herbicide. Happy to have you back!
Old 05-22-2018, 08:58 PM
Master Pontificator

lol, that's the way things always go, good to se you back
Old 05-22-2018, 09:14 PM

That is SERIOUSLY awesome!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-23-2018, 03:16 PM

Good to hear from you Doc....

Yes... Your absence was noticed and cause for concern. Glad to hear all are well.

This winter seemed to take a tole on many over and above any ones level of usual for the season. Sounds that you adapted and overcame issues well with minimal loss compared to what could have been.

Not likely the way you planned your transition, but congrats on getting into your new digs.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:33 AM
Master Pontificator

Welcome back Doc! Glad to hear it was good old productive work keeping you away.

Of course we expect pictures!
Old 10-10-2018, 02:55 PM
Master Pontificator

Goats love roses -- just saying. I've seen goats reclaim pastures from multiflora rose.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:26 AM

hello doc--always enjoy your post.
sounds like South Dakota---I live in a gravel pit---frozen ground spits out rocks.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryMom22 View Post

Of course we expect pictures!
Pictures? I'd have to sketch them with charcoal. My cell phone is a little wooden box with a crank handle--"Hello! Central? Ring the Jones place down the road where the old red barn used to be--too longs & a short. Thanks."

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna View Post
Goats love roses -- just saying. I've seen goats reclaim pastures from multiflora rose.
No money to rent 'em and wouldn't want to buy 'em. How do you keep 'em in your pasture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txanne View Post
hello doc--always enjoy your post.
sounds like South Dakota---I live in a gravel pit---frozen ground spits out rocks.
Hi Txanne! Long time no hear. How you getting along now that you've become a Yankee?

I know what you mean about rocks-- I've covered my whole house with the flagstones we dug up while excavating for the house, made retaining walls with the big ones and paved paths to the chicken coop and barn with them...I'm getting tired of looking at flagstone.