BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Food

Food Food-related topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:51 PM

Default Apple winter storage

Looking for some really good ways to storeapples in winter and even suggestions as how to start the pricess from harvest on to get best results not just storing
Old 10-11-2018, 04:33 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Do you have a cellar? That would be the best way to start. I have a friend with a commercial orchard who stores his apples in a well-insulated unheated room. He pays close attention to how various varieties of apples are to be harvested. He told me some varieties are better picked green to ripen in storage like many pears, while other varieties are better if left on the tree to freeze before the are stored. Store apples by themselves if you can, for the ethylene gas emitted by ripening apples can spoil some vegetables and squash.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:54 PM

We get about a ton of apples on average a year. Like 99% of the local apples here aren't good for table apples, but some are good baking, pie type apples. Not great, but good enough.

Most what we get are sliced and dried for rabbit food. A small amount every year is good enough to can sauce for us. This year the harvest and condition of the apples wasn't good enough to make any sauce. But we have plenty canned in the cold room to get by.

Local Mennonite Fall Festival had a lot of what they were selling as table apples. But very little better than anything we got this year. Especially at the prices they were charging. ouch....
Old 10-12-2018, 07:38 AM

I like to put apples in brown paper bags and put them in the fridge. They are good to eat fresh for a couple of months and I am VERY picky about my eating apples, and then they are great to cook with for a couple-three more more months. I try to have them all eaten by the end of January.

This year the only reasonably priced apples tasted great but lacked the crunch that I prefer, so I dehydrated 27 pounds for our winter eating and they are in my freezer to keep them at their peak. I used diet sprite instead of fruit fresh to keep them from browning and they are very tasty!