BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:16 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

You kind of figure you're going to get some rain when the local NOAA office says Sunday 60%, Sunday night 90%, Monday 100%, Monday night 100%, Tuesday 100%, Tuesday night showers.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:52 PM

My cat Lucas caught and killed a squirrel: his first. He looked very impressed with his big bad self, and after giving me wide-eyed looks like I was going to take it away from him he then rushed off with it to keep his "goody" to himself.

OK, I really HAVE taken his prey away a few times: he brings living rodents into the house and then drops them. I am not having THAT! So his fear that I might swipe his prey is not unfounded.

Seriously, though, as long as he is not playing "catch and release into the house" he can keep his kills.

Last edited by Terri; 10-06-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:53 AM

Rained off and on all day yesterday and last night. Never did rain very hard so I doubt it amounted to too much so far. Today, tonight, tomorrow, and tomorrow night they are calling for heavier rain, 3" to 5" when it's done.

Since it's raining outside I spent my time working on stuff inside. A local grocery store had pork shoulders on sale for 99 cents a pound. I picked up 4 each about 9 pounds. My son in law is going to put one in his smoker, the other three we ground up. I froze 4 pounds to be used later to make brats. Added some salt, pepper, and sage to the rest and made breakfast sausage. Only down side is, they are almost too lean. If you want to make some gravy to go with the sausage, there just isn't enough grease in the pan.

The breakfast sausage went in 1 pound packages except 2 pounds I kept back. I made 12 patties out of the 2 pounds and then fried all of them at once, freezing the fried patties when they had cooled. Now when I want a sausage patty for breakfast I just grab one out of the freezer and microwave it a bit.

Since it's still going to be raining for a few days I thought I might go back to town this morning and grab another shoulder, along with some 80% lean hamburger they have on sale for $1.99 a pound. I have an Italian cheese brat recipe that I've made with pork and venison that should work with pork and beef. Along with other spices it also uses crushed fennel and fresh Parmesan cheese. But instead of making brats, I'll make it into patties. They are a nice change of pace over plain hamburgers.

With these I do the same as I did with the breakfast sausage. I'll put a dozen on the BBQ grill, then freeze them for later. The key is just don't overcook them since you'll have to microwave them later, and you don't want them too dry. Fortunately my grill is under cover, so the rain won't bother me.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:50 PM

32 F. this morning, but it was rainy last night. No snow here but I expect the mountains are covered. An old typhoon remnant is supposed to hit on Wednesday night, so i expect warmer temps and more rain if the predictions are correct. It wasn't supposed to rain yesterday, but they missed the forecast once again.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:12 PM

Default Book-a-gedin....

Sprinkle rain all day yesterday and today so far. A bit warmer as ice on the out door dog dish is gone. Typhoon left overs you say on Wednesday ?? Will have to see if that makes a difference here.

Until the last couple days, have only had to fire the basement furnace once every other day or so. Just to take the chill off the house first thing in the morning, and then good for a while.

Canadian Thanks Giving today. The house smells like turkey baking. Just in for a peanut butter, banana sandwich to tide me over till the bird is done. Going to have to go back outside or I will get in trouble grazing around the kitchen.

Since it sprinkled rain, I finely got my 1.5 meter diameter fire pit burned off. It was under a tarp all spring, summer as too dry to burn. Got rid of all the waste from filling the wood shed and all manor of other material that accumulated while we had dry weather and fire bans. Boiled a couple pots of tea while I was doing other yard clean up. Glad to get it done.

So finely got all the books home from the home clean out. Was 6 loads in the little Honda Element. It will hold a lot and we had it stuff every trip. Something like 200 apple box size boxes. Something 2280 kilos (about 5000 lb) Sweetie has processed a bunch already. About 15 boxes for the library book sale, about 10 boxes for the tourism and passenger rail station. About 15 boxes for MIL to distribute to her library and bird house library system. Also about 8 boxes to garbage. If books are in too bad a shape, have been damp or other issue the best is to just let them go.

Sweetie is way out in front at number one in books registered from Canada. She is very close to 8 place or better in world registration. You go girl.

Um..... Lets say we got some bear meat..... That and a bit of beef fat all ground fine, spices, form into logs, into the smoker until 180-190F internal. (remote thermometer doesn't do metric) Chill, slice into cubes. Makes a WONDERFUL quick and easy cheese and cracker sausage.

I swear to God every mouse in the Province is trying to move into either the chicken house or wood shed for the winter. Pretty much an across the board mix of the 3 kinds of mice we have here.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:20 PM

Cold wet weather. The ' City ' called to tell me to move my pickup. They made my driveway an allyway for the other 3 houses here. Got 30 old issues of truewest for a buck each. Im putting them away for deep winter reading when i cant go out. Got to go shopping for a stock tank heater~ lotsa little animals need water and their usuall sources are freezing up so im putting a heated water container out for them.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:27 PM

We have gotten 10 inches of rain over the last 3 days, and that is as much as we usually get in 2 months time. By some miracle the garage and basement has not flooded..... yet.

We will get more rain tonight so there is still time for me to need the old sump pump.

Today I got my teeth cleaned and I also spent a fair amount of time sanding the new doors in the greenhouse where they did not quite mesh. One set of doors is getting pretty good and I hit the other set of doors a little bit. A frost is possible on early Thursday morning and it would be most excellent to have the greenhouse fully functioning by then: I am sure that the plants inside it would rather not get frosted!

It has started raining again and I have decided to spend the rest of the day on housework.

The local weather guy-the most accurate one- says that every year at this time a new weather cycle starts that is often entirely different from the year before. If so, this next year might be a wild one, weather-wise.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:50 PM

Wow, I thought I was getting a lot of rain, now I don't feel so bad.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:42 AM

It is supposed to get cold tonight before the typhoon remnants arrive on Wednesday night, maybe into the teens (F.) tonight. We'll see. We got quite a bit of new snow on the mountains yesterday, but still none down here I've got to change out the tractor blade so my son can plow if it snows while we are gone to Nebraska. I got the garage cleaned out enough that my wife can get her car in should things drop out the bottom soon. It seems our seasons are moving. It was colder than normal in May, so everything was late, and the moose calves are terribly small for this time of year, but the has been a warmer than normal October so they are getting a break.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:10 AM

Hopefully our weather here will get better before you get here. Normal temps and sunshine would be a good start.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:48 PM
Master Pontificator

Today is the first day without rain in what seems like forever but in actuality about 10 days. Farmers are hurting and many consider unpicked soybeans a total loss. Guess if they ever get back in the fields we'll find out.

Drove 4 hours to my mom's over the weekend to help celebrate her 97th birthday. Rain all the way both going and coming home plus a 40 mile detour. Trip usually is closer to 3 hours.

My garden has been a bust this year with few exceptions. Sweet potatoes were okay, sweet peppers were very good, kale is still going strong, but tomatoes were mostly not worth the effort, chard and zucchini rotted off (did I mention constant rains?). I think I still have some peppers and okra but its too muddy to get into the garden. White potatoes never got planted because it was too wet and, if I'd been able to plant, I'm sure they would have rotted in the ground.

I need to do major clean off/clean up of garden but I need to wait for it to dry off a bit (if it ever does!). I need to pull support posts before the ground freezes. Its been either too wet or too windy to burn my garden/tree trash so that needs to be done too. Hopefully I can burn before I have to haul hoses to the basement. This is the first year in 40 years I haven't canned anything. Fortunately, I still have an adequate supply of most things because in good years I can extra.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:02 PM

Sorry your summer has been such a bust, Anna. We have had a weird year here, but not too bad as far as garden produce. Winter hasn't really arrived here yet, but most of the farmers/gardeners here expect it to hit with a vengeance when it comes.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:59 PM

It is cold, windy, and dreary and I need to get back to work. There is snow to the west of us and it will either fall as snow or as rain and I am NOT ready!

Well, back to work!
Old 10-11-2018, 02:06 AM

I'm tired

But, I got the outside of the greenhouse doors painted and plastic stapled across it: the rest of the sanding and painting can wait. Also the tender potted plants are under shelter and the hoses have been disconnected from the house. I pulled a tomato plant up by the roots and threw it in the greenhouse: the 'maters can ripen slowly.

Everything looks good to go.

I even threw a cover across some young beets: I am hoping to at least get some greens from them. Most of the cukes, alas, will have to take their chances

Last edited by Terri; 10-11-2018 at 02:44 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
I'm tired

But, I got the outside of the greenhouse doors painted and plastic stapled across it: the rest of the sanding and painting can wait. Also the tender potted plants are under shelter and the hoses have been disconnected from the house. I pulled a tomato plant up by the roots and threw it in the greenhouse: the 'maters can ripen slowly.

Everything looks good to go.

I even threw a cover across some young beets: I am hoping to at least get some greens from them. Most of the cukes, alas, will have to take their chances

You can dig the beets and plant them into a pot in the house if all you want is greens.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:43 PM

Got down to 34 last night. They were calling for just below freezing so I went out yesterday afternoon and picked a bunch of rhubarb. I wanted to make sure I had some in the freezer for pies this winter.

For the last 2 or 3 weeks the temps have been in the 40s and 50s, aside from that one day when it was 90. The next week looks like a lot of 40s and 50s. All of that wouldn't be bad, but our normal temps right now should be 65 to 70.

Now I did hear someone local claim Oct would be cooler then normal, but Nov would be warmer then normal. Guess I could live with that.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:43 PM

Yesterday, today and tomorrow overcast, very damp cooler, threatening to sprinkle rain. At least I hope it is only rain. No known weather from the left over typhoon from where ever. Sorry Don, didn't get this far. Last weekend did drizzle rain all Holiday weekend. About 3cm total. I'm good with that. It wasn't snow.... so far....

Thanks Giving turkey dinner was good. Think the last of the left overs will go today.

Early, quick trip to Down River City today. Had some errands there, thrift stores (2), hardware store, lunch at the neat little local bakery coffee shop. Left some books at the free book bird house library. Back to Pot Hole City, gas at Costco and home.

Two nice mule deer bucks crossed the road in front on us on the way down. Moose and black bear seasons are still open. I see all three mouse traps in the wood shed are full.

Young neighbor guy and his dad got a bunch of geese over in Alberta. They have a pack of relatives there and they all make a time of goose season.
Neighbor borrowed our sausage equipment. Curious how that is going to turn out. Young guy is pretty good, the dad tends to do way over done crispy most everything he smokes. Will see.

Sweetie still working on the book pile. Down to about 2 ton from 2 1/2 ton after we got it all home. Every day it seems she comes up with a "look at this, or this is neat" kind of item.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:56 AM

Tim, there is another storm coming. It is supposed to be here tomorrow and will bring mostly rain, and not as much wind as the last.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:24 AM

Next year I might start my seedlings in soil blocks.

The idea always intrigued me, but at $30 for a soil block maker plus shipping and handling plus ordering the "special mix" soil to start them in, I figured it was too expensive for a backyard gardener such as myself to invest in.

So there is a guy on youtube that uses a piece of PVC pipe and a screwdriver handle to make his soil blocks, and best of all he just uses screened compost for a soil mix. Apparently screened compost works just FINE if you get it wet and compress it in the home made soil block maker.

I love the internet. I might be using a home made soil block maker to start my seeds this spring.

Last edited by Terri; 10-12-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
Next year I might start my seedlings in soil blocks.

The idea always intrigued me, but at $30 for a soil block maker plus shipping and handling plus ordering the "special mix" soil to start them in, I figured it was too expensive for a backyard gardener such as myself to invest in.

So there is a guy on youtube that uses a piece of PVC pipe and a screwdriver hand to make his soil blocks, and best of all he just uses screened compost for a soil mix. Apparently screened compost works just FINE if you get it wet and compress it in the home made soil block maker.

I love the internet. I might be using a home made soil block maker to start my seeds this spring.

I am thinking the same thing, Terri. I attended a workshop on the subject a while back, and the presenter said he uses worm castings as the "glue" to hold the blocks together. I am toying with the idea of using two plastic ice cube trays to make the small blocks, using one to pack the other. I have considered for several years making a large blocker either out of the PVC pipe or a tray with dividers. I sell plants in the spring to pick up some extra money, so I won't be able to use blocks for those, except perhaps early to be transplanted into pots. We'll see.... I think it might give me an early start on corn, squash, melons and cucumbers, though.