BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:41 PM

Thumbs up Homie Depot & Lowes most places here % off

Here in the Athens Ga are they give 10% off to veterans. My drivers license has veteran printed in red as proof.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:09 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowderbill View Post
Here in the Athens Ga are they give 10% off to veterans. My drivers license has veteran printed in red as proof.
Home Depot here advertises that they give a Vets discount, but they always say whatever I want to buy there doesn't qualify. Lowes always comes through, though, and does what they advertise. I shop Lowes whenever possible.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:28 PM

only time HD refused the veterans discount was on a special order--cabinets I believe. No issues at all doing regular shopping. Don't know about Loews as there isn't one within a hundred miles or so.

JVC
Old 06-03-2018, 02:35 AM

Not sure about rest of country but in Missouri home deport only gives disabled vets discount at all times. Only on Veterans Day and Memorial Day do they the give it to all vets. The have printed cards for cashiers to compare VA I’d cards. That said most cashier don’t bother to check closely and give it to everyone.

On the other hand Lowe’s gives 10% to all vet all the time and even have a few reserve parking spaces for Vets not sure but that may be a local thing since we are close to Ft Leonard Wood. Every cashier here also says” thank you for you service”

Last edited by MissouriFree; 06-03-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:58 PM

I got a 10% vet discount on a new backpack sprayer at Lowes yesterday. But it was kind of a hassle because the cashier (obviously new) didn’t know how to do the discount.She had to go get a more experienced cashier.
Anyway, the second cashier told me that if I had a “mylowes” card, I could avoid the hassle in getting a vet discount because the discount would be applied automatically when I give the cashier my phone number while checking out. So that’s what I did – I went to lowes.com when I got home, and got myself a “mylowes” card (at least I got the number; my card will be mailed to me).
We’ll see how well it works tomorrow; I have to go back to town for some things I forgot at Lowes yesterday. I’m pretty sure I’ll be getting more junk email, more junk snail mail, and maybe even more junk phone calls now that I have a “mylowes” card.So I’m kind of thinking I might have just traded one hassle for another.Oh, well.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:22 PM

Jim, I have no problem with the Lowes discount. I DID get a MyLowes account and attached the military proof to it, so there is no hassle at all. Home Depot has reportedly stopped doing any Vet's discount here, so I do almost all my shopping at Lowes unless they don't carry something I want.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:13 PM

I'm glad to hear that. Thanks Don!
I don't know whether or not Home Depot here offers veteran's discounts. We've almost always gone to Lowes simply because it's more conveniently (for us) located; Home Depot is on the other side of town.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
Jim, I have no problem with the Lowes discount. I DID get a MyLowes account and attached the military proof to it, so there is no hassle at all. Home Depot has reportedly stopped doing any Vet's discount here, so I do almost all my shopping at Lowes unless they don't carry something I want.
Yeppers, you were right Don. I went back to Lowes yesterday to pick up a fan my wife said she liked the last time we were there. I just gave the cashier my phone number, which brought up my MyLowes card, proving I'm a Veteran and automatically giving me a 10% discount. No hassle at all.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnManJim View Post
Yeppers, you were right Don. I went back to Lowes yesterday to pick up a fan my wife said she liked the last time we were there. I just gave the cashier my phone number, which brought up my MyLowes card, proving I'm a Veteran and automatically giving me a 10% discount. No hassle at all.
Glad it worked for you, Jim. It takes the hassle out of proving your status. My brother started carrying a reduced copy of his DD-214 to remove doubt where discounts are offered.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:51 PM

Default VA ID card

Last month while out I slipped into the local VA clinic to ask about medicare and VA medical. I then asked about an ID card.
The girls hooked me up in like 10 minutes and the ID card arrived in the mail a few weeks later.

Now, VA medical and medicare the 2 don't talk to each other. Which means the VA does not bill medicare.

Another PIA is since I'm 62 the additional gap insurance is 1500$ a month cause I'm under 65.
I need to get on the stick and see what is available seeing I won my disability case earlier in the year. IMO it should fall under the 100% disabled = the lower gap insurance rate which is 155$ per month.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:03 PM

Hmmm. I always assumed the VA here billed Medicare since they wanted to record my new number, but I don't know for sure. I have private insurance as well, and I seldom get any bills from the VA.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:00 PM

VA does not bill Medicare on any of its plans.

Here is some info on additional insurance for vets.

Hope it helps

https://iris.custhelp.va.gov/app/ans...ll-medicare%3F

Last edited by MissouriFree; 10-05-2018 at 03:19 PM.