BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:41 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Up at 4 am to see it snowing in the yard light. Big cotton ball flakes until about 10 am, then salt crystals snow until about 10 minutes ago. Must be about 10-15 cm on the ground now. Dog hasn't even stirred to go out yet. Will have to use the tractor and blade for this. Will wait until tomorrow to see if it is done snowing this round.

Tomorrow and Saturday are predicted bright sun and -8 C cold for a high temp. Sat is to be local bush community hall Holiday Craft and such sale. I usually get some smelly cute stuff for Sweetie from the neighbors who sell Avon. Not going to go unless road crew has come through. I'm sure today news paper is already hopelessly buried.

Got the last of the pumpkins dried of what we can salvage. Got a couple jars of dried eggs ready for the cold room. We made enough spaghetti last night for the next 3 or so days, so will hunker in and rest.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:41 PM

Made it to the upper 50s today, which was a nice change of pace. Decided to let the deer stand sit empty and headed to the lake with the boat. Couldn't find any agreeable fish, but then the water temp today was 39 degrees. Tomorrow should be the same, before cold and snow on Saturday, so I figure I better hit the lakes again, only I'll try a different one tomorrow. This lake has some Musky in it, and they should love 39 degree water.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:17 PM

WELL !!! The weather sure made a liar out of me......

It snowed the other day and I though it looked like about 10-15 cm. No big deal, at least here in the GWN. Out to do chores yesterday afternoon and found it is more like 25 cm. Ugg... This required getting the tractor out. Got the tractor, did my duty and all is well. Glad I did move snow as today it is at todays predicted high temp of -8C and I'm sure it is froze pretty solid now.

High temps to be in the -5C or lower range until the middle of next week.

Sweetie is down to maybe 20 or a bit less boxes of books to sort and register. However that means we have about 30 boxes ready to go to MIL for her book distribution system. Has been fun, but I hope we get some recovery time before getting another collection like that.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:59 PM

It is a perfect, mild Fall day. Most of the snow has melted and so I broke out the riding mower and blew the leaves into piles. I filled 2 big garbage cans with leaves and dumped them into 2 raised beds that I am trying to fill: once the weather has packed things down I would say that I got 4 linear feed of bed filled. I will plant potatos there. There are more leaves to be gotten but I was tired so I came in.

The 2 beds are 30 linear feet each, so I have 56 more linear feet to fill this Fall. The next leaves to go in will be scattered along the length, so it will be easier to mix in other things to encourage the fill to compost.

I think dinner tonight will be sandwiches, as I did not put anything out to thaw. That is OK: we have cheese and pepperoni and other good things to make sandwiches with. Also we have berries from this spring that we can top yogurt with, and leftover bok choi salad from last night.

We will get more snow in 2 days time

Last edited by Terri; 11-16-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:47 PM
Master Pontificator

Got the first snowfall of the year yesterday. The weather forecast was way off so we ended up with about 6". My son started plowing for his boss at 4:30pm and didn't get home until after 2 am today! Poor kid was frozen through as he plowed with a cables tractor! The storm came down so hard and fast that half the plow crew was stuck out on the roads for hours and never made it in. Everyone in NY and NJ is in an uproar because the transportation people fell down on the job and weren't ready for plowable snow. Everyone just trying to blame someone else. Makes me crazy.

Anyway, hubby plowed us out this morning even though we expected lots of melting, which did happen as we are supposed to be below freezing again tonight. My client still made it in and actually showed up early, which was nice. Hubby picked up the mail on his way to work so I just stayed home today and did some laundry and cleaning. And I made beef stew and rolls for dinner. Figured it was a good night for it!

The weather should be calm with no storms due in before Thanksgiving, but it will be colder than normal and breezy. I can handle that!
Old 11-17-2018, 02:25 PM

Well after a couple days with temps in the mid to upper 50s, a cold front came through last night. Today it looks like 20s for temps, and upper 20s to low 30w for winds.

Fortunately it appears this will be short term, as next week it should be back into the 50s. Nice weather for Thanksgiving.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:06 PM

My new wintertime routine: Feed the chickens, and on the way out fill a garbage can with leaves

Then, either put the leaves in the hen house for bedding or put in a raised bed that needs more fill.

Then come in and do housework and take care of business. Summer really was more fun!
Old 11-19-2018, 11:22 PM

Sunny, calm, balmy -8C first thing this morning. Rising sun was very pretty where it hit the ice covered with snow on the lake. I don't suspect there is enough ice to be out on yet. I'm sure not going to try it. At this age, ANY outdoor recreation that includes the words "ice or snow" is NOT my kind of thing.

Moved 6-7 boxes of ready to use kindling to the basement by the big furnace. Helped a young guy assemble a new gas BBQ grill.. Just in time for the half a steer to be coming back from the meat cutter. You see a pattern ?? The thing I'm looking forward to the most from the half beef is grilled burgers with fried onions.

Sweetie finishing up with the big collection of books. She has several boxes ready for the passenger rail station. About 30 boxes for MIL to go to her distribution system. Of the whole lot from that person Sweetie thinks about 10% were bad. About half that with moisture or mold. The other half broken or things that no one would want. I enjoy an occasional story from a Readers Digest condensed books, but 100 plus volumes is more than anyone wants. Most of these I have run through the big wood furnace. They burn well enough, but do leave a larger amount of ash than regular wood. But none the less usable... I wonder if there is information on how many BTUs are in a cubic meter of books ??

Took the last couple jack-o-lantern pumpkins to the chickens. Cut them apart with a shovel and sprinkled a scoop of layer mash over the chunks. Things like that, the warm scratch gruel Sweetie makes, and other kitchen waste are real treats, and good for them. They always meet us at the gate like "what you got today?".

Tomorrow is a town day. Chicken grit, 2 bags scratch, cracked corn, day old bread store, bank, library, recycle bin, spare grill propane refill at Costco.