BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals > Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control

Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control Please...no posts about Barney, Kermit, Miss Piggie, etc.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:25 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Crows

Crows seem to be rampant this year.
Got to thinking and discovered we haven't seen a single eagle this spring and summer. There is usually at least one around.

Crows have been everywhere. In Pot Hole City, along the river, there are always a bunch around. This year there are many, many more than usual. Every street and parking lot has a group scouting around. All the way along the highway out to our lane any time of day, and as many as 5-6 at times in the
early morning checking out the chicken house and yard.

There was on especially bold one who would be right in the chicken yard a lot. The chickens and geese would huddle on the far side from this bird until it left. Not good as they weren't spending that time eating and growing while it was there. It took me about 10 or a dozen tries, but I finely "took care of business" with that problem. Could not let that threat continue to hang around as we have 10 or so half grown chicks ready to turn out with the general flock.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:59 PM

I'm looking at a .25 cal benjamin pellet rifle for such problems.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:34 PM

I'm looking at a .25 cal benjamin pellet rifle for such problems.
That will work, if conditions are OK to use that tool.

I'm thinking I have enough light fence wire and chicken wire gathered to build a Ladder Trap. That will give me 24/7 coverage of the area and let me be selective of what does or does not get released. It will be easy enough to build in panels that pin together for storage or transport.

Another option is a scaled up version of a Larson trap. This is meant for magpie size birds, but can be resized for anything I suspect. Problem is it is a one at a time live trap and requires constant attention. But it will be smaller, cheaper to build, easier to get into service more quickly. Will see how things work out.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:36 PM

No many but more tha last year. Them and doves seem to be the only ones that look at you in the window. What’s wrong with a good ole 22.? I’ll take a shot at them - never hit up - they’re to alert. But they fly away and tell each other about the gun. Works for a few weeks.

Last edited by MissouriFree; 09-18-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:21 PM
Master Pontificator

I've noticed more crows, vultures and squirrels than usual. Not as many hawks, either. That probably explains the increase in squirrels.

Son and I were driving down the road the other day and a red tailed hawk hit on it's prey about 18" inches from the side of my car. Scared the (blank) out of me since I didn't expect it to dive right in front of my car!

Beautiful bird, though. Seeing it so up close was a real treat!
Old 09-20-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryMom22 View Post

Son and I were driving down the road the other day and a red tailed hawk hit on it's prey about 18" inches from the side of my car. Scared the (blank) out of me since I didn't expect it to dive right in front of my car!

Beautiful bird, though. Seeing it so up close was a real treat!
Did you see what the prey was ??? Was the prey on the ground ??

If the prey was a bird in the air, the predator could also have been a Peregrine Falcon. I suspect the falcon is about the same size as a red tailed hawk.

A number of times I have seen them hit pigeons on the fly around farms. You might see the pigeons, but you never see the falcon until there is an explosion of feathers in the air. First time is kind of a shock. After that it is "way to go, one more down" cheer.