BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Water

Water Drinking water, wells, ponds, saving, purifying, etc.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:03 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Water Seep

My property straddles a valley that starts narrowly at one end near the top of a ridge and ends wide and low at the other end. About half way down, the boggy pasture finally collects water and forms it into a small, actual stream. Along the upper course of this stream, the surrounding slopes of grass are very moist, actually seeping out water which flows slowly down.

If underground water flows down a hill and finds a specific path along, say, a crack or groove in the underlying rock, you have a localized spring which can be directed into a pipe as a source of water.

Does anybody know of a way I can develop these seeps into anything useful?
Old 04-25-2017, 11:50 PM

My only advice would to make sure nobody, and I mean nobody, know what you're doing.
The last thing you would want is for some government agency getting their nose in your business.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:51 PM

don't know what folks in your neck of the woods do, but down here in Texas, a person so fortunate to have major seeps would dig a tank, let it fill with water and stock it with fish. Also good for irrigating the garden, and as a watering hole for the critters both domestic, and wild.--shoot, most of us do it hoping we get enough rain that the run off will keep it full.

JVC
Old 04-26-2017, 02:11 AM

Find the source of the seep (a spring) and build an enclosed cisteren. Plumb out the overflow and plumb a buried gravity feed for your needs to the house/farm
Old 04-26-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Professor View Post
Find the source of the seep (a spring)....
That's the whole point: just as a stream is a down hill groove, so to speak, in the topography where the ground happens to be below the water table for an extended distance, a spring is an underground stream that has just one localized spot that's suddenly exposed above ground.

A seep, OTOH, is more like an underground swamp with ground level just barely below the water table and extending for a considerable distance. It doesn't have a point source.

I'm thinking of eventually dredging it out to form a pond.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of another way to get t to flow in a practical manner.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:47 AM
Master Pontificator

Doc, you probably have a spring. Springs which just seep, just have the lowest flow rate of all springs. If you can locate the point where the greatest flow is occurring, and that may not be possible with a very low flow rate, concentrate your effort into developing the spring at that point. It might be possible to increase the flow rate with a little excavation work.

Good luck in developing the spring. If you can develop the spring into a quality water source, then protecting the integrity of your spring from any surface contaminants is your paramount concern.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:41 PM

Doc
I was "trained" by depression era relatives. The translates to: I was kid getting in the way while they did work. But I saw a lot of "make something from nothing, using nothing".
On a small farm in Kansas they put in something that sounds a lot like what you have. Don't know if it will work for you, but...
Long diagonal cuts were made with a plow on the sides of a damp slope. Think shallow V. The dirt was shoveled out of the cuts making them into shallow trenches. A barrel with cutouts in the sides was sunk into the ground at the point of the V . Water ran down the trenches into the barrel when it rained, dewed heavily or maybe just collected from the ground. I don't remember it being especially efficient, but I don't remember what the purpose was, either. Maybe livestock watering?
In your case I would do the same, only adding drain pipe to the trench.
Might be worth a try, or the concept give you some ideas?

TickFarmer
Old 05-02-2017, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the example, Tick-- it tends to confirm what I was thinking.

I don't really need another source of water- I have a well for the house and the stream for the livestock. I was just wondering if anyone knew a trick to get this extensive ooze zone (200'x50') to concentrate into a small, flowing area, possibly thru a pipe.

I suspect digging it out as a pond is my only choice.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:52 PM

I am on a seeper well here in SD---no rain fall makes for iffy water.
I am very conservative in its use----hopefully by spring I can have it drill deeper---I have a pump in the basement.

water has always been my rant---the older I get the more I prize water.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:24 AM

To do as I believe you are asking, I've seen farmers bury perforated plastic drain pipe which collects the water and delivered it out the end. It's used to dry out a boggy area of fields so the area can be used for crops but I woful;d think if you want the water just collect what comes out of the end.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:27 PM

Great idea, Jeff!

Usually a pipe is jammed into the slope parallel with the flow of water downhill. But if I take a drain tile 10 or 20 ft long and bury it perpendicular to the flow, it'll take the water, low volume at any single point, and collect all the flow along the course of the tile.