BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:47 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
You could try silicone tape as a temporary solution.
I will give that a try. I'd really like to limp through the winter if I can. I have the odd feeling if the hose fitting breaks off in the pump, I may need to buy a new pump housing for the blade. All that may take some time and I'd rather have that done after snow season if possible.

I will probably take it to the guy that sells snow blades and repairs them. I figure if he messes it up he will be able to fix it.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:21 PM

As a birthday gift to myself I am leaving the back door open for 2 hours. The screen door is shut but there is still quite a bit of air leakage.

The pets find this exciting: it is snowing but it is not nearly as cold as it usually and all 3 of them have been outside (there is a pet door in the screen door)

The young cat is sitting in front of the door, listening to the birds singing.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:37 PM

That STINKER! The young cat parked himself directly in front of the cat door so the old cat could not get back in! It reminds me of high school all over again.

So I let the old cat in, and my feet are getting cold so the door is, alas, now closed.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:17 PM
Master Pontificator

-30 last night, still -5 now but very sunny

Terri, just remember: all cats are jerks

all the snow melted and it was raining the other day, I thought I might get a chance to get some work done out back stacking wood I cut in the fall, but then we got a foot and a half more snow and another deep freeze, so all it really did was undo the shoveled out driveway.

got a ride to town for groceries, first time in 7 weeks I have "fresh" vegatables on the menu (matter of perspective, grocery fresh is no where near as fresh as what I pick in my yard in season, though nothing grows in -30 with over a foot of snow on the ground).
Old 01-16-2018, 10:42 AM

-3 this morning, windchill has been -20 to -30 since yesterday afternoon, but should get better sometime this afternoon. School called because of the windchill so my granddaughter spends the day with me.

So far two closing days this year. Last week when we were suppose to get ice, 6" of snow and high winds, but only ended up with the wind, and today. Guess we can't really call these snow days.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:55 PM
Master Pontificator

Cold, cold, cold here. Wind chills have been down to -35. My house is south facing so when its sunny like today I get a lot of solar gain which feels great. My electric/gas budget billing has been $90 a month but I suspect I'm going to see that increase after all the cold. Last winter was very mild which is why my budget dropped from $115 to $90. I'm glad they make adjustments throughout the year rather than hitting me with a bigger increase later.

We keep having little snows of 1/2" to 3" amounts but the wind blows it into a drift where I have to shovel. Glad its light weight snow and not 3 or 4 foot drifts like some years. We're due for a thaw in a couple days which I'm so looking forward to.

I haven't been to town since Dec. 19 so have a long list of shopping to do. I'm out of shelf stable milk so hope Dollar Tree has a supply when I get there. I can buy milk locally but have to pay an extra 33% so I try not to shop here. I'd love to support my local store but my budget doesn't allow paying that much extra for nearly every item and for some its even higher.

I haven't been accomplishing anything worth mentioning. I have been keeping up with my physical therapy and hitting the treadmill daily. I find myself drifting from one project to another without actually getting any of them done!!
Old 01-17-2018, 12:52 AM

-6 F here this morning but hey I got nothing to complain about

Quote:
Even the eyelashes freeze: Russia sees minus 88.6 degrees F

https://www.yahoo.com/news/big-freez...131009936.html

Last edited by MissouriFree; 01-17-2018 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:09 PM
Master Pontificator

warming up around 25, cloudy

was out this morning from 9 to 1230 pruning apple trees. went in for lunch now.

heard from a friend that another friend lost their house last night in a fire. they kept 10 cords of wood in the basement next to the furnace so when that ignited the whole house went up and was a complete loss, fortunately everyone (including the tenants from the upstairs apartments) got out.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:21 PM

Another warming spell coming, should make 50 tomorrow. But looks like a wet weekend, rain to start and maybe snow Sunday night and Monday.

Got lucky this past week with my Jeep. I had it in for spark plugs and the mechanic noticed an oil spot on the floor. He called and asked who changed my oil and I said the dealer where I bought the Jeep because they gave free oil changes when I bought it. Well it seems the oil filter was not on tight, and a Jeep that holds 5 quarts of oil only had 1 quart in it. There is no gauge and no light came on.

I told him I just checked recently and the last oil change was a while back, so it didn't make much sense to me. We had a couple nights close to -20, he said sometimes the filter seal can contract and cause it to leak, especially if the filter was not real tight. I went back and looked where I had the Jeep parked in the barn when it was that cold, and found a spot on the floor from when I ran it while in the barn.

He said it probably leaked when it was cold after that, and when it warmed up it would seal back up. Talked to a customer today and told him what happened, and he said they had the same thing happen to one of the fork lifts.

Guess if I wouldn't have changed the plugs, I might have been changing the engine.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:56 PM

Feed, water, let the chickens out for the first time in a week, come in to a nice breakfast: it is GOOD to get back into my usual routine!

DS, who was helping me with some things, has gone home again and now I can settle down into my usual pleasant lifestyle. Heck, even the weather is cooperating.

I can happily putter around for the rest of the day, and eat leftover chicken for dinner. I will probably go to youtube to find a recipe for a tasty sauce to dip the chicken in: the day that I roasted it I served General Tso's chicken sauce to dip it in and that was very good. I will find a different sauce today. Because I am a diabetic I like to made the sauces because I can sweeten them with NutraSweet (I am a diabetic)

I think today I will make a big bowl of egg salad with pickles and onions and use that for sandwiches for a bit. One of the joys of homesteading is that I can eat like a king.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:19 PM

A balmy 0C at this hour. Pretty much the high for the day, but the lows are now at what the best high temps have been of late. Barometer is higher, meaning sunny or high overcast rather than tree top overcast. All this with about 30 minutes extra day light has made it more bearable. Snow came off the south roof of the big sun porch with a resounding KER-WHUMP sound.

Hauling replacement wood to the basement like a mad man to replenish. Seems it has been taken extra wood over usual this winter so far. But then this years wood is especially poor. But it still works well. Hauled chicken scratch from town. The light on a timer in the chicken house has helped to keep the girls producing well. Even one of KarenBC new young banty hens has taken to laying on an occasional basis. She is very happy with that.

Have gotten 2 - 3 new garden seed catalogs in the mail.. Here you must be quite mindful of seed descriptions and zone maps as they all seem a bit different for this area. Some catalogs will list us as a zone 3 close to 4. By the calendar and everyday weather we are much more a zone 2b at very best. Doninalaska has seemed quiet of late, I suspect he is busy with bedding plants and such.

Otherwise just planning spring/summer projects. Garden, livestock, reseeding pasture. Some logging to do. Remodel of rabbit barn, wood shed and log storage. Also about the time all this is beginning to be available to work on carnivore and omnivore predator spring activity will start. Time to be watchful of that.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:39 PM

Tim, I have tried to post occasionally, but the forum deletes my posts as too short, even when they are several paragraphs long.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
Tim, I have tried to post occasionally, but the forum deletes my posts as too short, even when they are several paragraphs long.
I know just how you feel.

The bank just called. My credit is so bad, they want their calendar back.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:36 PM
Master Pontificator

Doc, that was pretty funny

38 degrees, cloudy, was out at first light cutting cedar for fence posts and a few larger ones to mill. then the crank shaft on my saw broke. another large repair to do just when the weather is actually good for working in. took out my 3rd saw (1 already in repair shop after mice chewed through gas line) and ended up cutting 10,000 board feet worth of logs, 60 fence posts, and about 20 cords of firewood before I stopped for the day. used 2 gallons of gas and a gallon of bar oil. worked all day with only a break long enough to make 4 LBs of homemade French fries and a LB of pan fried sausage for lunch.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:43 PM

Do you treat your fenceposts? How do you eat 4 pounds of french-fries and a pound of sausage for lunch. Even when I was working hard and active, I couldn't eat that much in one meal!
Old 01-21-2018, 06:52 PM

Another storm coming through, but it looks like the main snow, 10" or 12" is to the north. Drizzle all day today and it appears drizzle or rain until late tonight or tomorrow morning when it may get cold enough to snow. They say 1" to 3", which is fine by me.

Don, found some silicone tape and put that on the hose fitting of my blade. It does hold onto it self, and stretches nicely to get it good and tight. Maybe I'll get enough snow to see how it works. I'd prefer not though. We're getting close to the end of Jan, it can just as easy wait till March and be rain. I don't have to scoop that.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:26 PM

Good. I have used it as a temporary fix on hoses, and it seems to work until you can get around to a more permanent repair.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:52 PM

Well it may get tested after all. I was afraid this storm might track farther south like the last storm, and it appears that's what may happen. Went from 1" to 3", to 4" to 8", and 12" or more keeps getting closer. Add high winds and the drifts will be pretty big, so in the end I'll probably need the tractor.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:32 AM
Master Pontificator

Don: I was guessing at the volume, I had a 1 lb pack of sausage and the potatos I peeled weighed roughly 4 times as much. might have been as low as 4 lbs, but I guessed 5. I eat 1 massive meal a day, I been known to eat a large pizza 2 dozen wings and a 2 liter of soda in a single sitting (not often since that costs $35). got myself banned from the all you can eat steak at ponderosa years ago. i'm also 6'4" tall and have size 38 pants.

I don't treat the posts, they are northern white cedar and are already naturally rot resistant a 6" post will last 30 years easily, some last as much as 50 years. only treatment I do is to dry them out before using and peeling the bark off to further slow rot.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
... I been known to eat a large pizza 2 dozen wings and a 2 liter of soda in a single sitting...
I used to know a waitress at a pizzeria. She was always amazed at the fatsoes who would come in and order a family size pizza for themselves... with a diet pop

I've been meaning to ask you, Setanta...I've got a crowded hickory grove I need to thin out-- many trees 1 ft diameter and 60 ft high but narrow crowns from crowding.

What would be the firewood yield from one of those trees?