Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Arts & Crafts > Sewing/Knitting/Crocheting/Needlepoint

Old 11-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Crochet hook size & yarn weight

Most of the crocheting I've done is with sport weight yarn, I love how heavy and warm an afghan made with it is, using a size G hook. My DD, who's very talented this way, tells me I was using the wrong size hook but I like the way thing turned out. Does hook size really matter as long as you get the project finished to your satisfaction? I realize if I was going to sell an item it would be best to use the proper size hook with the yarn but otherwise I feel it doesn't matter and I've always received compliments on my crocheting from others who crochet.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:40 AM

I was taught to use the hook that met the gauge of the pattern. I crochet tight so I always have to use a larger hook to make up for it. As long as your stitch count matches the pattern gauge you should be good OK.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:28 AM

That's the problem OnTopOfARock, I don't use a pattern as I don't understand them or if I do I can't seem to make them come out right. I've only found one pattern I understood and I had to modify it to an extent, instead of crocheting it in strips then fastening them together I just decided how many motifs I want in each row, multiply the number of stitches needed for each motif and crochet them all together. The pattern is based on 29 double crochet per row so when I want something 4 motifs across I multiply 30 x 4=120-4(the extra number I added to make the multiplication easier)=116 then I added 4 chains like it said and I have the correct number of stitches. Comes out fine that way. I guess you could say I crochet loosely as I've always got small gaps between my stitches but I can't wind the yarn around my fingers like you're supposed to nor can I curl my fingers like is shown in the books and videos. My rheumatologist that retired just over a year ago was amazed that I could crochet at all with the way the RA has effected my wrists, hands, and fingers. He told me to keep it up as long as possible because it would actually keep my hands and fingers more limber. Maybe that's why I'm having so much trouble with them right now as I don't do much of anything like that anymore and typing on the computer doesn't seem to help them. That's another reason I want to get back to crocheting if at all possible.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:48 AM

If that is the case then the bottom line is do what ever you have to, by whatever means, to maintain movement in your hands. If you have to use a hook as large as a rag rug hook to keep your hands moving - do it!

My mother had R.A. Her hands were so crippled she couldn't feed herself by the time she was 60. It is not a fate I wish on anyone. Take care.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYellowRose View Post
Does hook size really matter as long as you get the project finished to your satisfaction?
No. I always use a G hook with yarn. It fits my hand so well. With thread, I use a C/D. As long as you are happy with the product, it is fine to use the hook that suits your hand size.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:19 PM

Thanks ladies.
Momma I only use yarn, not thread, as I have enough trouble getting my hands to cooperate and work the way I want.
Went into what I call my "summer bedroom, this morning to get my package of socks & dug through my DD's hook case and pulled out some hooks, I now have one each, sizes F, G, H, & I.
When I was waiting for the bus at WalMart earlier I decided to try my hand at making myself a crocheted scarf as the receiving blanket I had to use would barely tie under my chin. I usually use a piece of flannel folded into a triangle with a band about 4 inches wide folded in the front so my ears are well protected. I can't find any decent flannel so I'm opting to make myself one. I'm going to crochet a long one, double the width I want, then fold it in half lengthwise and and whip stitch the long edges together. I'm debating on adding a triangular section to it like I would have with a flannel scarf but that will probably depend on how long the first portion takes and how well my hands hold out while making it.
When I got home I went into the utility room and brought out a large bag of yarn, it's got 3 different types and colors in it. I've got about half a dozen 3.5 oz. skeins of Natura Wintuk in Victorian Rose 4-ply worsted weight. Then there are probably close to 20 3oz. skeins of Simply Soft in Soft Yellow Worsted Weight, but it's a smaller yarn than the Natura. And lastly I've got about half a dozen 1.75oz. skeins of Natura Adavantage in Off White 3-ply Sport Weight yarn.
I'm using the Victorian Rose for my scarf with a size I hook though it is recommended you use a size J. I'm not sure if I'll make anything out of the other yarns as the Simply Soft is smaller than I like to work with as is the Advantage.
I've started on the scarf so wish me luck. I'm sure it will take at least a month, if not longer to make with my hands giving me problems like they are.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:22 PM

Forgot to tell you, the Natura yarn was from Woolworth and sold for 88 cents a skein, there's no store name on the Advantage price tag but it was 79 cents a skein. No price tags on the Simply Soft so I don't know how much it cost. Of course, I was given all this yarn so it didn't cost me anything. I love bargains like that.