BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 10-01-2018, 03:46 PM

Default The View from the Mesa

Hello from New Mexico, `been off grid since `83. It took my wife and I about 10 years to get near completion. Still not there. We moved in and that's always not a good idea if there are unfinished projects to be done. Never the less it was much cooler in the adobe than the small wood structure I made for us to live in and work out of. The wife of my life passed on in April of this year. 41 years of mostly very harmonious bliss. Typing this still hurts like crazy but with out her our life could not have happened. She worked 4 days a week right beside me and also did 36 hours of nursing care which kept the boat afloat. It was a golden period to be cherished.

The place is not without it's flaws but it's still standing and keeping me and our two cats comfortable year round. We did organic gardening for a while and got tired of battling the critters who shared their mesa with us.

Organics are much more common now so it's just easier to go to the store for most stuff. I say that as tho it wasn't a half day journey, but that's the trade off for paradise found and nurtured.

I'm here thanks to the folks behind the scenes who helped me get logged in so thank you Ilene Duffy and staff.

I'm getting old and not so energetic so I found a used Jotul F500 on craigslist and picked it up in Tijeras near Albuquerque and actually got it in the house with the help of a few very good and big people. The thing weighs 445 lbs so we took off as much as we could and made some ramps and now all I have to do is figure out how to get a chimney erected and not burn the place down.

It's my hope to access some of the experience garnered by those of you living this mostly self sufficient life to make my task easier.

There is an existing penetration I'd prefer to use if possible. It will require two 45s [or??] and a slanted flue section or two to keep the smoke moving freely. I wanted the stove more central to our living area than I had it before. The heat circulated well from the lowest part of the house, but our old stove had no ash pan and daily and sometimes multiple emptying of the ashes covered the place in sterile wood ash. So it was a constant effort to keep clean.

.... if someone has experience in this area..... of course, I did it once already but it was a vertical run and a no brainer. Plus I was 30 years or more younger. So I look forward to some ideas and absolve everyone of any responsibility for providing information. Common sense and courtesy will prevail....

I have information on clearances available from Jotul. I just am unsure about the slanted run of pipe. There is triple wall thru the penetration so that's ok I just need to find a way to brace everything to stand up to chimney brushing. I know to keep the fires pretty hot but I don't have lots of hard wood around so I'll just have to keep an eye on the build up in the pipe from banking things down at night.

So please, what should I be aware of and what have I forgotten to ask? I look forward to getting to know some of you hearty and adventure some individuals

Ron

Last edited by ron45; 10-01-2018 at 03:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-02-2018, 04:48 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Welcome back, Ron. Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable folks here will be able to help you out.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:05 AM

Welcome back..

We to are getting to the older stage of life, and while we don't have everything as "prepper perfect" as it could be, it is good enough to be comfortable for us for our remaining time.

I think that is what counts most.
Good luck.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:09 PM

Default Thank You Tim

It is my hope that someone will have some knowledge on the flue questions.

Ron
Old 11-08-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
Welcome back..

We to are getting to the older stage of life, and while we don't have everything as "prepper perfect" as it could be,....
That's why us old guys are reading The Bible again--we're cramming for "Finals."