BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:06 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Voting was not bad: by the time I arrived most of the line fit inside so I was only outside for a few minutes.

I came home and started getting ready for bad weather until I ran out of steam. Then it started to rain so that was it for the day. I will be setting up a plastic frame over my best producing plants and then throw some scraps of plastic sheet over that. The weather man says it will warm up after this cold snap and so I think there will be enough heat stored in the earth to get my plants through this episode of snow and cold.

At any rate, the polls have now closed and so it is time for me to settle in with corn chips and diet soda and watch the results come in
Old 11-08-2018, 01:09 PM

Bad, BAD cat!

Lucas the cat has always loved to climb trees: well good for him. But now he had decided to climb the greenhouse. He goes right up the woven plastic cover. I am afraid he will damage it and so I am keeping him inside for a week to see if he forgets about it. It is harder than it used to be to get that cover up, not to mention the $300 cost of the woven plastic! heck he might be LUCKY to go outside in a weeks time!

On the good side I am mostly ready for bad weather: I need to buy chicken feed tomorrow and then I can get my 15 minutes of daily exercise by puttering around inside the greenhouse.

This next week will be chilly, with lows mostly in the 20s with a brief dip into the teens
Old 11-09-2018, 02:50 PM
Master Pontificator

terri, would you be able to put a secondary cover over the greenhouse? i had trouble with cats on the window or screen door screens, so i put cheap poultry netting over the screens, yes they still try to climb it sometimes but they can't tear it too bad and they hate the feel of the wire on the spot at the base of their claws so they don't try very often.

my own news: light snow/rain, cloudy, been doing lots of government work this week, or at least thats what i call it when i shove out the barn, only other time i had to deal with that much bs was when i worked for a government office. had a pile 20'x12'x4' and had to use a shovel to load it on the wagon, and it was shtf when i had to use a mattock to break up stubborn masses of hay and bs.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:43 PM

Yesterday's snow missed up, this morning it did not. Didn't amount to much, maybe 1 to 2", but the wind blew hard enough at times I couldn't see 10 yards outside my window.

Sun is out now and the wind has died down so I think I will head into town. Tomorrow is opening morning of rifle deer season, but they say an overnight low of 9. I think I will sleep in tomorrow and wait for an evening hunt. After a few days in the 30s and 50, they are calling for 50s later next week, which will be a lot nicer for hunting.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:26 PM

Bright, sunny, calm and a balmy -1C at this time. Skiff of fluffy snow on top of what we had. Just enough to cove all the places the dog had to re explore this morning. Winston C. can leave a lot of tracks for a short legged bugger.

Next 10 day forecast is for +4C to -4C temp range with no new snow forecast. So far.

To town yesterday. A couple bags of chicken scratch. Books to the tourism, rail station. Picked up books from an ongoing source. Last day of the current grocery adds. New adds in todays paper soon as I get myself out to get it in.

Many stores will be closed Saturday, Sunday, Monday since Remembrance Day falls on Sunday.

Moose season closed past Monday. Bear season closes next Wednesday, but with the snow now they should be pretty well all in the den.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:51 PM

I pulled 3 good heads of bok choi before tonight's venture into the teens. Just in case the covers and the greenhouse are not good enough.

Tonight we are having inch thick pork chops, stir fry bok choi with extra red pepper flakes, tater tots from the freezer, and cake with a berry-yogurt topping using my berries from this spring.

The great thing about homesteading is that we eat like kings. I buy things like cake mix when they are on sale, and the berries and bok choi are from my big back yard. And, breakfast was eggs from my own hens.

Lunch was my monthly lunch with my son, and we ate at Burger King. I raised him on scratch food and he loves fast food. Oh, well.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:15 AM
Master Pontificator

While winter isn't here yet, I have to keep reminding myself to be thankful that all this rain isn't snow. And yes, it's raining again!

Between headlights in my eyes and rear view mirror, lights from businesses, leaves on the road, the dark and the rain, I've decided that I'm a menace on the road at night. A few of these things at one time might be difficult, but all of them at once, as it was tonight, has got me feeling like I'm older than my 53 years. I was so thankful to get home from dropping the kids off at skating! That is what I hate about the rainy weather. At least, if it's snowing, I'm not going anywhere. But I feel too wussy staying home because of the rain.

Oh well, it'll be snowing soon enough!
Old 11-10-2018, 05:44 AM

It has warmed today with a high just about at freezing. Snow is predicted starting tomorrow...we'll see. We have three grandkids for the weekend while the parents are in Fairbanks. Maybe I will cut trees tomorrow. We noticed when we were in the Midwest/ Great Plains areas that the air had a dusty, chemical smell, in addition to the "country air" of the hog farms. My wife, who grew up in the region, said she couldn't recall the smell, so she didn't know if it was new, or if she just was used to it when she lived there. The air here is clean, and the only odor we smell is wood smoke in the winter.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:53 AM

Hi all.

Just getting first bits of snow this week higher up.

Been cleaning cellar and out buildings of any vermin before they settle in for winter. Spinning traps got about 25 mice so far in the barns, just a couple in basement (1800s farmhouse). Want root cellar not to get raided.

Bad time with a woodchuck before killing frost last month, after my winter squash and pumpkins.

Plenty of firewood stacked/split/covered that needs to get moved to house.

Have noticed the forum does not have as many regular posters as in the past. I miss the input from others about things.

Take care.

MP
Old 11-10-2018, 11:19 AM

Once I ventured out yesterday I found our couple inches of snow left us with some drifts a foot deep thanks to the wind. Put the blade on the pickup, but it seems to have an electrical problem. Have to take that in next week and see if I can get it fixed before the next snow. It's suppose to be mid 50s by the end of next week, so I decided to just drive through the drifts.

I could have cleaned the drifts with the tractor, but I have the forks on instead of the bucket. I'll need the forks again at the end of next week, and I just didn't feel like taking them off, putting the bucket on, then taking that back off and putting the forks back on.

Opening morning of deer season, but at 9 degrees I thought I'd stay in the house. Did see 7 deer in the pasture behind my house. They ended up coming up beside my barn, walked past my pickup, and walked down my driveway. Guess I could have stuck the gun out the front door of the house and got one, but I don't suppose that would be considered hunting. Plus the thought of field dressing a deer at 9 degrees wasn't very appealing.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
Plus the thought of field dressing a deer at 9 degrees wasn't very appealing.
Yeah, it was 15 degrees this morning and I only went outside to feed the chickens. I intend to stay inside until it gets up to 30 degrees later today: the work will be SO! much more pleasant! Especially as I have misplaced my all of my gloves.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:45 PM

I am pretty sure we broke some records in the last couple of days for cold in November: the weatherman says that it was 9 degrees the other night. Usually November is pretty mild!

And, this is the second year in a row that the colds have been colder and the warms have been warmer, and about 43 days after a major cold front hits it goes around the world and then hits us again. I do not believe that the average temperature has changed, but the fronts have been getting stronger, the colds are colder, and the warms are warmer.

I am starting to suspect climate change is affecting us, either Global Warming or another Maunder Minumum.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:56 PM

Heavy wet now last night with temps around 30 F. Probably not enough to require the plow. We may get more or it may melt. We'll see....
Old 11-11-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Especially as I have misplaced my all of my gloves.
Glad to see I'm not the only one that had to go glove hunting.

In the 30s this afternoon with some sun, so I think I will sit in the deer stand this afternoon.

I have the tractor plugged in so I can move a round bale for my daughter in a bit. Thought when I got that done I'd just plug the tractor back in so if I do get a deer I can go out with the tractor and pick it up. Putting it on the forks has to be easier then trying to get it in the back of my pickup.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:13 PM

This is one of the times it is great to be a homesteader.

A lot of bills are coming due this month, like insurance and I bought a dryer to replace the one that broke, etc. Fortunately I do not really NEED anything. The house is crammed full of food, I have a month's worth of feed for my laying flock, and I can always run up the credit card if I have to (I REALLY do not want to run up the credit cards. I just don't)

When money is tight homesteaders can just shrug and say "I will quit buying things for a while".

And that is what I will do. Tonight we will have leftovers for dinner, and I will make fried rice with leftover rice and add onions, bok choi, and eggs all of which are from my homestead and a simple meal will become a feast.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:26 PM

High overcast and 0C this morning. I mentioned to Sweetie that Doninalaska said this morning he has wet snow on the ground. She covered her ears and went La, La, La......

We don't have much snow on the ground, but it has formed a nasty crust. At chore time last night I got the tractor out and scraped the usual path ways we use to the barns. That made it easier. Not long to be finished drying pumpkins for bunny treats. Now we have seven or eight dozen eggs to dry. Doing that will gain fridge space and get us to a level on hand we can manage better for our level of use. The girls have slacked off to a 3-4 egg a day average. Sweetie does use dried eggs in baking. A lot of times she makes bulk batches of items for the freezer. Also she uses dried eggs with things like sourdough, local berries, and other goodies. Talking myself into a trip to the kitchen.

The local air port has a Reserve Air unit and Air Cadet units based there.

The eleventh hour of the eleventh day November 1918.
At exactly 11am PST today a trainer/fighter jet went over the house. That would be a direct path and best view past the big park on the hill in town where they have memorials and gatherings. Remembrance Day is a big thing here, even this far across the country and this deep in the bush.

Within 10 km or so of our place there are several old cabins, little more than piles of old logs anymore that are documented homes of men who left for the war and just never came home. It is little known this west coast Province and mountain area contributed a significant number of men and women to the WW1 effort from this country. That would go for WW2 as well, but that is a post for a different time.

When, where I grew up, I heard stories about my Grandpa and his best friend Fritz (Fitzgerald) coming home off the train in there uniforms, packs, rifles, and ammo belts.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:31 PM

Figured out the problem with the blade on the pickup. About a week or so ago the pickup wouldn't start. One of those deals where the posts get a film on them and the cables lose contact. Clean everything up and you're good to go again.

Well the negative cable end wasn't the best so I got a slightly used one out of the barn. Truck started and ran fine. But after the blade didn't work I hit the switch on it yesterday and it worked. Spent some time under the hood and felt the new negative cable end was the problem. Picked up a new one this morning and get it installed. Tried it out, it worked, so I put the blade on and went up the down the drive. My son in law had done some the day it snowed with his tractor, but didn't take it back very far. So once things were working right I took the snow back some more so when it melts later this week it won't be on the drive.

Haven't done much deer hunting too cold, 20s today with a strong wind so windchill is close to 0. When it warms up later this week we'll see if I deer hunt or fish.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:55 PM
Master Pontificator

To all the veterans on here, Thank you for your service.

Today started as a chilly 24 and made it to 46, but we have a big rain storm on the way for tonight and tomorrow morning. I moved all the chicken food into the shed this morning and actually enjoyed the crunch, crunch of my footsteps on the frosted grass. The chickens were far less impressed than I was with the frost, though.

Oldest son's girlfriend was here for the weekend helping him to unload 8 tons of gravel for the pad for a shed he is having delivered. He got a fantastic deal on a used 12 x 24 shed, delivery included for $500. He'll use the shed as a workshop. But anyway, Saturday as cold and really windy, with the wind chill in the 20's all day, and this very sweet but very impractical young lady showed up without a jacket, gloves or socks with moccasins on her feet! I scrounged through the closets and outfitted her with appropriate clothes and footwear, but what was she thinking!

On Sunday when the wind died down, we restrung s heavier gauge fishing line across the top of the chicken pen. Gave the old dog a bath and went shopping for new doors, but I wasn't happy with the types or prices, so I'll wait till spring to take the old door off, sand it and paint it. In the meantime, we'll add new weather stripping and I'll keep looking for a storm door, but I'm not spending my money if I can't find what I'm looking for. Around here, Home Depot and Lowe's are about the only choices unless you want custom, so I think I'm going to see if I can find a Reuse it store somewhere.

We may get our first snow of the season Thursday night, but then the weather should quiet down for next week. That will make travelling to my brother's for Thanksgiving easier.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:42 PM

I am trying to eat my freezer down some so that I can find things: it is pretty crammed! So lunch today was 2 small fish I caught last Fall, some tater tots from a bag, and the last of the carrots. Tonight I will make spagetti and use some of my frozen tomato sauce and for dessert there will be yogurt and some of my frozen berries.

I have barely made a dent in the freezer and I still cannot find things. I suppose that is a lovely problem to have but I will still be glad when I can put things in order, especially as THANKSGIVING IS NEXT WEEK and I will want to freeze the leftover meat!
Old 11-13-2018, 09:12 PM
Master Pontificator

We don't have that problem with freezer space around here Terri, as the turkey day leftovers never make it to the freezer!

Another rainy, cold day. Even the chickens are tired of this. I expect to go out in the mornings and find they've decided to become ducks!

By the afternoon the rain had stopped but the temps are dropping fast. They are calling for snow on Thursday afternoon, so I think I'm getting up super early to make a trip to town.