BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 06-02-2018, 03:08 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Sewing machines

Those of you who sew regularly,do you have a favorite sewing machine brand?

I just acquired two portable machines,one is a Brother,and the other is a Singer. I've only tested them to see that nothing is wring with them,and haven't actually sewn with them yet.

I had to give up both of my treadles when I got divorced,and while I miss them, I don't think treadles are going to be an option again any time soon due to my tiny living space.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:05 PM

I can only speak from my wife's experience, but she had a Brother, which broke and she replaced it with a Singer. She used to "free hand quilt" with her Brother, but the Singer didn't work the same. She ended up going to a workshop, and now does quilting with the Singer; she just had to learn the tricks of the new machine. I think both sewed just fine.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:36 AM

I bought a Janome HD3000 a few years ago when my vintage Necchi developed a few gremlins and I could find no one to work on it. I absolutely LOVE my Janome...sews so smoothly over pins, no pulling, handles denim like a dream, so easy to switch stitches, love, love, love. One of the few modern workhorse sewing machines I could find that was NOT computerized. I didn't pay $400 for it either. It was only $200 at the time I bought it.

I have my Grandmother's sewing machine too. It's an old all-metal Singer, probably first electric model, and when she last used it it worked beautifully. I just can't bring myself to use it though. It's sits by my bed tucked in its cabinet.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:35 PM

I did some test sewing with the Brother,and it seems to sew just fine,I wanted to be 100% sure there was nothing wrong with it before I get into a big project.

The Singer was missing the thread holder,but only cost me $1.29 to replace.

I am luck enough to have a sewing shop here in town that does sewing machine repair.

I've got two cabinet machines that have been in storage,going to have them brought in to me soon.We were going to do it this past weekend,but it rained both days.