BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Plants

Plants Plant-related topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:40 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Good Garden Books.....

For Christmas, birthday and various other holidays I have gotten KarenBC books by a master gardener named Jerry Baker. She is more than happy with reading them as she says they are down to earth (unintentional garden pun) besides amusing.

A couple posters (Terri, Doninalaska) have mentioned an author named Eliot Coleman. Wondering if his books are worth buying on Amazon, Better World Books (as long as shipping is free) ???? What little I see tells me Eliot Coleman is in the state of Maine. His prospective is from still quite a ways south of us, but more important east coast weather and seasons. That could make a big difference.

Will get what I can from the library of his writing to see if or how they may apply to this part of the GWN. But want to know if anyone familiar with his writing would recommend getting his books.

PPPPP
Anyone have favorite garden, fruit tree/shrub authors they use on a regular basis, and would recommend ?? Hopefully info useful in the far north.
Thanks....
Old 06-20-2018, 06:51 AM

Tim, Elliott Coleman still has some useful information on greenhouse management and year-round harvest that applies to those of us who live north of him. No one is perfect, but he is worth a look, especially if you can get it at the library or used book store/thrift shop. I also enjoy Steve Solomon's book Gardening When it Counts. Another author I use is Carol Dieppe from Oregon. She has good info on plant selection and varieties. She is south but still useful. Suzanne Ashworth is THE reference author if you are interested in saving your own seeds. That is my list. Coleman for greenhouses and harvesting in winter, Dieppe for plant selection, Ashworth for saving seeds, but if I had to choose only one, I would choose Steve Solomon for his unique view of gardening when you cannot fail. He founded Territorial Seeds, so he is not a northern guy, but his techniques have worked well for me here.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:34 PM

Thanks for the info..
Will make a list of names and such as I shop Amazon, Better World Books, and such through out the year.

SUPER, DOUBLE SECRET INFO.... When I make a score of one kind or another it sometimes gets stored in the old foot locker in the tool shop until an occasion to make a gift. Don't tell her........
Old 06-20-2018, 11:06 PM
Master Pontificator

Modern Homesteading by Logsdon, a classic on basic homesteading and farming, I got a first edition copy that's one of my most valued treasures (I found it in a dumpster behind a public library back in 2002 after they dumped all the old books)

the woodland homestead by Mcleoud, fairly new book, lots of good info on woodland management

any of the Mormon self sufficiency books by Warnock, lots of old school knowledge, presented in a way that's easy to follow.

foxfire books, very old school knowledge

self sufficiency for the 21st century by Strawbridge, modern types of knowledge