BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:04 PM
Master Pontificator

that's why I gave up fishing, kept loosing my best lures, that and I wasn't fond of always being asked to show my license.

80s today and sunny, been the same for weeks now. hauled 2 loads of logs to an amish mill, picked up my generator from the repair shop, I hope it works now so I can run the washer the first time this year, tired of hand washing.

was told the lumber would be ready this evening so left the trailer at the mill figuring I would pick it up loaded with lumber, but when I got there I found out they broke the sawblade and didn't have a spare, so I asked them to unload the logs and I would be back for the trailer in the morning. tomorrow I will need the trailer to get back to hauling firewood (I have 5 trailers and only that one is in usable shape right now, finally got the tractors fixed, got tired of waiting and ripped them apart myself, then I had help when there was more problems than I could fix, fortnatly my out of town neighbor was back in town that day). only 2 and a half months till firewood season so I gotta get back to hauling, I only got 60 cords stacked so far.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:48 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Had to go back Tuesday to get my boat that I'd left by my camper. Told my buddy if he wanted to give it a try we could fish evening for a couple hours. It was 95 with a heat index of around 102, but we did manage to catch some fish.

Yesterday was the same as far as heat is concerned, and today is another repeat of the others. May get a bit of a break towards the weekend.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:58 PM

The folks who do youtubes as "Deep south homestead" are right: a dehydrator makes a PERFECT way to culture milk. I got a batch of yogurt done in record time, so I have ordered the stuff I will need to make feta cheese and mozzarella cheese.

It is hot, and I have a sore throat, and after picking a few blackberries I was all worn out. So, today I am having a quiet day for the rest of the day.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:06 PM
Master Pontificator

85 and sunny

been sunny and 80 to 100 for weeks, while that means I have been able to get lots done it also means the area is in serious drought conditions.

today I hauled and split about 4 and a half cords of wood, also finished the siding on my workshop, cut a few more logs to size and will haul to the amish mill in the morning, where I hope to pick up my previous pile of logs if they had time to mill them.

and yesterday I built a 4x8 chicken coop to sell
Old 07-13-2018, 09:18 PM

Happy Friday the 13th.......
Stayed home today and yesterday. Not going to temp fate... snicker

Cool forenoons, warmer afternoons, windy all day and dry. No more afternoon thunderstorms.

Got some done. FINELY finished up cleaning barns. "Spring Cleaning" and re-arrange the vestibule of the chicken barn. The one year old full size hen that set hatched one wee chick. Her first set so better than none. Banty hen with 7 chicks are all doing well.

Got some trim mowing done. Now to hook brush hog to the tractor and get-r-done...... Need to pump up a tire on the tractor first. First, make another cup coffee. See if there is any cherry pie left. If not any cinnamon raisin bread.

Last night as dusk came, got up off couch to change blue ray disk to see about a 2 year old bull moose standing in the gate to the lower pasture. About 30 meters from living room window, just watching movie with us I presume. Horns all in velvet yet looked like two big voyager canoe paddles next to his ears. Now I know why so many top rails of fence in that pasture on the lake side are down. Bugger.

Have the garage sale map from the news paper for Pot Hole City and list of sales all ready. Will make an assault first thing in the morning and see what treasures there are. This years season off to a slow start it seemed. We have found some treasures, but seem few and hard to find.

Terri..... I looked through this Deep South Homestead . com and couldn't fine "culturing milk" video you mentioned. Sweetie likes yogurt, I can get along without.

I suspect "Food" area would be the place to post a link to there video, and your process details and such. Now I am interested in how your venture into cheese making goes. Please be sure to share this info. Thanks eh....
Old 07-13-2018, 09:53 PM

Tim, as you may remember, I had a real problem with a young bull last winter. He trashed my fish-cleaning station that had been there for 20+ years, destroyed a wooden potato bed/box that had been around a couple years, and wiped out a number of trees. Good luck with your bull when the rut starts!

You might want to check out this guy for fermented milk products. He was the cheese guru for many years in Ohio, and was a professor of dairy agriculture (I think) at the University of Cincinnati. He taught me a lot online, and his stuff goes back into the 1970s:

https://fankhauserblog.wordpress.com...for-new-folks/
Old 07-14-2018, 12:06 PM

Tim, my apologies for the misunderstanding! They do not have a youtube about culturing milk (yet). What happened was, a subscriber mentioned the tip to them and they passed it on during their usual hour long Saturday night youtube. They are live at that time: people ask questions and they answer them.

Their dairy goats are not yet old enough to be producing, but looking at the size of them I predict that they should be in milk this spring, Maybe then they will have youtubes on making yogurt and cheese.

What I do when I make yogurt is, I just mix milk into what is left on the bottom of the carton of bought yogurt (or my own made yogurt) and I set it in a warm place for @ 12 hours. In the past that has meant an ice chest with a couple of jars of hot water, but the dehydrator works better because I can just set the temp and not have to replace the hot water when it cools off. The yogurt in the dehydrator was done in 8 hours instead of 12, so that was a plus!

Now, my yogurt is not as stiff as store bought, so this time I added non-fat dry milk in an attempt to stiffen it up, but it did not work. For the next batch I will try adding sugar.

Also, the yogurt does come out tart and I prefer it sweet and flavored, so I like to add some artificial sweetener (I am a diabetic), some vanilla, and some berries. Since I got a few handfuls of berries today, I shall have home made blackberry yogurt with tonight's dinner.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:47 AM

A break from the heat coming tomorrow, more importantly a break from the humidity. Low 80s and low humidity will be a nice change from what we've had lately.

Need to contact my internet provider on Monday. I'm suppose to be getting 10 mbps for speed, but the last few days it seemed slow. Did a speed test last night and found I was at around 3.5 mbps instead. Which means upload speed is next to nothing. I needed up upload a 10 minute YouTube video so thought I'd do it overnight because of the slower speed. I started uploading at 10 pm last night, and it finally finished at 7 am this morning.

The whole thing is kind of ironic because just a few days ago I stopped in to pay my phone bill, and while there talked to them about the new internet speeds that start next month. Of course out in the country we don't get nearly the speeds the town people get, I thought it might be nice to see how fast I'll be able to get with the new speeds.

Seems I will be able to stay at the 10 mbps I have now, and my landline/internet package will go from $100 a month to $90. If I upgrade to 15 mbps my bill will go up $2 a month. After dealing with 3.5 mbps, I'd just be happy with 10.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:46 PM

My last batch of yogurt came out thin enough to run through a straw, and yet I could tell by the flavor that it had properly grown the culture.

Since we do not care to drink our yogurt I thickened it by letting I drip for several hours with a paper towel as a strainer, and it was good. I did some on-line searching and apparently the problem was that I had not scalded the milk as I usually do: at 18o degrees the proteins change. I did a second batch after heating and cooling the milk, and it was much better.

So, now the heat has broken and it is really very pleasant at sunrise, but I seem to be burned out on yard work. I do what I need to but it is a case of hit it 'n go inside: I have not even gone fishing yet. I DID find time to enjoy last night's sunset!
Old 07-16-2018, 03:59 PM
Master Pontificator

93 degrees and sunny

very sad this morning, I no longer live on a dirt road those are fairly rare and living on one is a bragging right to express just how remote you are. the town has paving stuff out there now paving it. at least i'm still half a mile from any utilities

more chicks hatched yesterday, 9 buff orpingtons hatched out by a bantam hen. 4 bantam chicks hatched out the day before (there were more eggs but the hen gave up after the 4 started to run around, so the rest got cold and died while only half hatched). total head count is 45 bantams, 30 buff chicks, 12 adult buffs, and 5 broodies currently setting on eggs.

started work on the next phase of my workshop but its too hot out, and I am sort on lumber, got to pick up the next pile from the amish, and with the paving going on I can't do that right now.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:08 PM

Bear activity has picked up in the area, but still nothing here. The Dept of Fish and Game killed 4 brown bears trying to find a predator that is sitting in ambush for humans--a predator bear. They are waiting for DNA to come back to see if they got the correct bear. I had a squirrel in my "big" greenhouse tis afternoon. I went over with the dog to side dress and water, and all heck broke loose! There were either one or two red squirrels in the greenhouse (things were moving so fast I couldn't tell how many there were, but the dog went CRAZY! I have set traps in the greenhouse, so we'll see what we catch.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
93 degrees and sunny

very sad this morning, I no longer live on a dirt road those are fairly rare and living on one is a bragging right to express just how remote you are. the town has paving stuff out there now paving it. at least i'm still half a mile from any utilities

more chicks hatched yesterday, 9 buff orpingtons hatched out by a bantam hen. 4 bantam chicks hatched out the day before (there were more eggs but the hen gave up after the 4 started to run around, so the rest got cold and died while only half hatched). total head count is 45 bantams, 30 buff chicks, 12 adult buffs, and 5 broodies currently setting on eggs.

started work on the next phase of my workshop but its too hot out, and I am sort on lumber, got to pick up the next pile from the amish, and with the paving going on I can't do that right now.
We still live on a dirt road, but pavement isn't too far away. School busses don't run on our road, so it is a low priority. Sorry your loses are so high.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:57 PM

Busy garage sale weekend.... Saturday went to town with the map and list from the newspaper. A couple town errands also made for a busy day. Found out the next community up from us had a community wide sale Sunday, so we were off again. Only small stuff for treasures. The big item of the weekend was sweetie found a bigger, better book shelf for beside here "reading chair" and favorite lamp.

Community of Fishy Flats qualifies as a bush community by location, distance away from Pot Hole City, and population make up and density to qualify for a district elementary school, and a provincial volunteer fire house and trucks...

On the way home she asks the question... Which came first, the book case or the book ?? This woman is a never ending adventure.

Talked to the honey bee and hay guy. Arranged for hay later this summer, early fall. He was telling about having as many as 8 black bears in the hay field when the dandelions were at there peak. Rolling around eating things. He also has had several "incidents" with bears in his bee hives. One yearling or 2 year old was so persistent to get through electric fence, enclosure surrounding hives, and making a mess breaking things until the bees would finely drive it off. Saying that is the only animal he has had to take "drastic" action with so far this year. Knock on wood. We have had no damage or loss so far. However I have had to make 2 bears "leak" as they left the yard as when first seen they were initially headed strait for the livestock barns. NOT behavior I will tolerate.

Calm, hot, muggy today and most of the next week. Highs 25C, but lows no more than 4C.. These are big temp swings for the day, even this high in the bush. Go figure.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:59 PM

Today I made a pint of tomato sauce: the first of the year. I froze it as we are not going to need it this week.

I could kick myself for forgetting to taste it: this Is a new variety for us, and while it makes a dry raw tomato that nobody likes it MIGHT be a good cooker!
Old 07-17-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
Today I made a pint of tomato sauce: the first of the year. I froze it as we are not going to need it this week.

I could kick myself for forgetting to taste it: this Is a new variety for us, and while it makes a dry raw tomato that nobody likes it MIGHT be a good cooker!
Terri, what is the name of the variety?
Old 07-17-2018, 12:35 PM
Master Pontificator

heavy rain all night and still raining today, in the 70s I think

we had almost a month with no rain, down to drought conditions, so yesterday I gathered up my trash, loaded a broken couch in the back of my truck with the intention of running trash to the transfer station today. but last nights rain soaked the couch, sure I could have taken it out anyway but the scalehouse fee is based on weight, and a soaked couch will be very expensive. I should have done this 2 weeks ago, last time I tried to throw the couch out it also rained overnight, then I tossed the couch in the yard, where it sat for a month until I tried again. I think I am controlling the weather since it only rains when I go to throw out that couch.

at a friends place today using his high speed internet, can't do much else on a rain day
Old 07-17-2018, 06:24 PM

I had a GOOOD morning!

I did sleep in a bit, until after 7, and then I let ads run at swagbucks while I took my meds and drank my morning caffeine. By the time I was ready to face the day I had earned 25 cents. Also the gift card for my past earnings arrived on the internet: $25 which I spent on an on-line Walmart order later in the day. They deliver to my door if I order $35 worth of stuff, so I added pet food to my grocery order. But that was later.

After I felt fully awake I let the chickens out and then went fishing at a local lake: I caught 3 nice bluegill for my lunch. Then it was home again, and I checked that melon I had been watching and it was nicely ripe and so I brought it in.

The chickens have had a sudden drop in egg production, so on a hunch I gave them cat food when I brought out the melon seeds and they went NUTS over the catfood. They let the melon seeds and scraps lie untouched until the catfood was gone: I think they need more protein in their diet. I will see that they get it.

Then I watered my plants a bit and I sat down for an hour before It was time to clean the fish and cook them for my lunch. I was tired!

My day was easier than you folks who have been cutting and selling wood, but I am not as LIVELY as I was 20 years ago!
.................................................. ...............................

And, the variety of tomato was Roma Red, and I have since found out it is not an heirloom. It is also, alas, a Determinate tomato so once the tomatos have ripened that will be it for the year. The sauce I made from it was a nice, fairly thick sauce. I might cook it down just a little when it is time to use it but I suspect it will be just fine the way that it is. I will just need to add onions and spices and things to it before I serve it over spaghetti.

Tonight we will have leftovers, and for dessert we will have that melon with home made vanilla yogurt on top.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:46 PM

Overcast, about 5 degrees cooler today, but muggy and a few drips of sprinkle on the way home from town. Did some usual errands, thrift store, bread and milk grocery stop, library stop.

Got a nice Black & Decker folding work bench at the thrift store. Got a pair of 20 gallon yard tubs. Use them to muck barns.

Good lunch at senior center, coffee through drive up window.

Last year, year before (?) We had a bunch of Roma of one kind or another tomatoes in the green house. Worked well to can for sauce, soup, and the like. Always used them in other stuff, not canned alone.

===========

Setanta....
Send me the couch. When we need rain, I will load it into our truck. About every 2 weeks should work out well.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
I had a GOOOD morning!

I did sleep in a bit, until after 7, and then I let ads run at swagbucks while I took my meds and drank my morning caffeine. By the time I was ready to face the day I had earned 25 cents. Also the gift card for my past earnings arrived on the internet: $25 which I spent on an on-line Walmart order later in the day. They deliver to my door if I order $35 worth of stuff, so I added pet food to my grocery order. But that was later.

After I felt fully awake I let the chickens out and then went fishing at a local lake: I caught 3 nice bluegill for my lunch. Then it was home again, and I checked that melon I had been watching and it was nicely ripe and so I brought it in.

The chickens have had a sudden drop in egg production, so on a hunch I gave them cat food when I brought out the melon seeds and they went NUTS over the catfood. They let the melon seeds and scraps lie untouched until the catfood was gone: I think they need more protein in their diet. I will see that they get it.

Then I watered my plants a bit and I sat down for an hour before It was time to clean the fish and cook them for my lunch. I was tired!

My day was easier than you folks who have been cutting and selling wood, but I am not as LIVELY as I was 20 years ago!
.................................................. ...............................

And, the variety of tomato was Roma Red, and I have since found out it is not an heirloom. It is also, alas, a Determinate tomato so once the tomatos have ripened that will be it for the year. The sauce I made from it was a nice, fairly thick sauce. I might cook it down just a little when it is time to use it but I suspect it will be just fine the way that it is. I will just need to add onions and spices and things to it before I serve it over spaghetti.

Tonight we will have leftovers, and for dessert we will have that melon with home made vanilla yogurt on top.
Determinate paste tomatoes work really well for making sauce and such. They tend to ripen in a short time, so your harvest is condensed and you can get your sauce making over and done. We use a lot of determinates here due to the short season, but for fresh eating, the indeterminates work as a few tomatoes every day over a long season. I guess it is not considered an heirloom by many since it was developed by the USDA instead of saved by families over time, but the variety is over 50 years old and is open-pollinated, so it has stood the test of time. It has also been selected over that time for improvements just like heirlooms.

Yum on the melon!!
Old 07-18-2018, 01:42 AM

I have decided that I am good with having the Roma Plum tomato being a determinant because my other paste tomato is Amish Paste, and I have grown Amish Paste before. It will yield until frost. The first tomato will give us a big slug of tomatos now, and then the Amish Paste will take over. The kitchen should be well supplied.

Do you need to grow your tomatos in the greenhouse, or are you able to grow them outside?