Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Tractors

Tractors Big ones, small ones, old ones, new ones, buying, using, fixing...you get the idea.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Seasonal Tractor Preps....

OK...... Today I took the bracket off my tractor that mounts the mid mount mower deck. Greased, checked bolts, and mounted the bracket that holds the pto shaft and mounting bracket for the front snow blower.

Snow blower was ready to go before I put it away last spring. So no problem there. Hook up and go.

I the front end loader can stay on with the pto bracket, and I have the skid shoes on the 5' rear blade hooked up on the 3pt hitch.

Block heater is checked out so I know it still heats. Got the drop cord plugged into the wall and the timer programed. I only run the block heater for 2-3 hours before the usual time I get out to move snow.

The only thing I haven't done yet is get the chains for the rear wheels down yet. That will only take 3 minutes and no use tripping over them on the floor until I need them.

How bout you who have to deal with snow ?????
Take care
-----
Summer mode......

Old 11-16-2012, 04:12 AM

Take off brush hog after mulching garden. Change oil, grease, check coolant, bat water, and hyd fluid. Check sediment bowl for H20

Remove ORC from PTO shaft and replace PTO cover,

Plow and harrow garden.

Install tire chains. Get plow ready. Haul cordwood until snow is too deep. Plow the driveway.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:31 AM

We used to change the bucket on the tractor to a wide plow for moving snow, but it always seemed that when we needed a bucket, the blade was on, and when we needed a blade the bucket was on...

So...

Last year we welded extensions on to our bucket. Just 1-1/2 foot extensions on each side making the narrow bucket, now 8 feet wide.

I thought I would have to buy a narrow bucket for digging work like moving gravel and sod, but it works okay as is even with the wider bucket. I say that because while the narrower works better, you can still dig well enough so that we do not have to buy a new one.

So now our winter tractor prep is easy. We use our tractor daily, and since I log a lot, the chains are already on and with the wide bucket...a bucket that can dig and move snow, there is nothing to swap out.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Master Pontificator

Although I could use a snowblower, I've not yet been able to afford one, so I simply remove the ballast bucket and put a blade on. Scrape with the blade and move piles with the front-end. I have a heater and a battery blanket as well as a float charger for extended idle times (when I don't need it, not when the engine is idling).
Old 11-29-2012, 02:18 AM

Not so much snow here in southern Indiana, usually, that is. But a few years back we got 34" in one night and drifts. So, it does happen, but 4" to 8" is more normal for us. I put a 42" blade on one of our old Case Ingersolls and that does it. We are retired, so if it gets REALLY deep, we just stay inside and stoke the wood stove.

Tractor maintenance is more important to us in winter. The tractor with the blade will stay inside the garage, warm and ready to go. The one mostly used in the garden will stay in the barn. But both will take their turn soon getting oil changes and needed small repairs and maintenance in the garage. I need to make new skids for the snow blade, too.

I keep wheel weights on both tractors, so that isn't an issue. I did away with the fluid in the tires ASAP after I got them. No corrosive salt in wheels on our place. The tires dig just fine for our use, so no chains needed, although I have a set. I would like to make a set of front weights for one tractor, though, since it has a rear mounted tiller and gets pretty light in the front. That is a winter project.

Getting ready for winter here is mostly making sure the garden is laid by with a cover crop and assuring that the woodpile is high enough.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:22 PM

I have a didital timer that I run the block heater on my tractor with. It has a 7 day program menu and a battery back up to preserve the program. I program it to run for 2 hours a day between 8 and 10am about the time I get around to go move snow when needed.

I plugged it in today, but will have to get out tomorrow and check that it is indeed heating and replace the battery, just for backup.

By the way........... ALWAYS entangle the drop cord that is on the heater through the steering wheel............. You do NOT want to see what happens with a 25' cord when you are 26' out of the garage...........

Don't ask.......