Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Frugal Living

Notices

Frugal Living Anything to do with saving money, living for less, how to save, free stuff, etc.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy View Post
I too would be insterested in some ideas of what you have you would like to barter & what you would take for exchange. Would love to see some pics if you could. I think it is a great idea.
sissy
I would love to do this---
Excellent idea.

Annie

Old 11-22-2012, 12:49 AM

One of the best Christmas presents I ever received was from a doctor working in the same hospital where I was employed at the time. She took fresh cedar tree trunks about about 3 to 4 inches in diameter and cut them in ~ 1 inch thick slices. Bored a hole at the top of each one and tied a red or green ribbon to make a loop. Christmas tree ornaments that doubled as air fresheners when the tree came down. Such a simple handmade item that she took the time to craft herself unlike most other docs who did the quick run through the mall and bought whatever cheap trinket they could find. I love the smell of fresh cut cedar.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanb View Post
The past two months have been sorta of a struggle getting a new budget together for my income loss. So far I am doing ok, had to give up the cell phone and some extra things on cable. I did my first shopping at a thrift store called Goodwill, found some nice winter shirts for my daughter, got them home and washed them with some homemade laundry detergent and they look so nice, so I am thinking instead of buying new clothes for the guys this year is get them jeans and winter shirts at this store and just add some new socks and tee shirts. The kids will only get one gift this year from Santa and one from us, along with a Christmas party where they will get a bag filled with goodies. Would like to know what some of you are doing to cut back on cost at Christmas.
Thanks
When we celebrated christmas, we only bought the kids 3 items each.
1 thing they wanted, 1 thing they needed, and 1 thing they never expected.
We stopped celebrating christmas about 4-5 years ago.

I used to 'save' for christmas. Had a little christmas fund, and when it was gone, I was done shopping.

If I had to cut back this year?
I think your plan is a good plan.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:43 AM

Dave - that's a great idea! slip one into a drawer with wool sweaters, hang in a closet... so many ways to use these.

One year, we were down here at the beach, closing on our house in early Dec. A mild storm had blown through a couple nights before... and I collected a nice batch of shells & driftwood... and used them for my make-a-gift: a mobile/wind chime sort of thing.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StockdaleDave View Post
One of the best Christmas presents I ever received was from a doctor working in the same hospital where I was employed at the time. She took fresh cedar tree trunks about about 3 to 4 inches in diameter and cut them in ~ 1 inch thick slices. Bored a hole at the top of each one and tied a red or green ribbon to make a loop. Christmas tree ornaments that doubled as air fresheners when the tree came down. Such a simple handmade item that she took the time to craft herself unlike most other docs who did the quick run through the mall and bought whatever cheap trinket they could find. I love the smell of fresh cut cedar.
Dave
And they kill a number of bugs----scorpians for one and moths etc and they are a natural air fresherner as you say.

Good idea----

Annie
Old 11-23-2012, 03:42 PM

We have at LEAST three Christmas gatherings every year just with the families. Sometimes, depending on if we visit with my Bio Mom, or get invited to others as "family," we have more than the standard 3. I keep the wrapping paper and ribbon/bows after it has all been torn off. Each Christmas, I make cards and one or more ornaments from the previous year's wrappings. Sometimes I use the paper to make other gifts such as jewelry (bracelets, pendants on ribbon, brooches) or decorative items (dust-collectors )

EDA: I also use Christmas "trash" to make cards and gifts for my friend's 9 kids to give their teachers each year. I also use other "trash," including but not limited to cardboard, clear plastic packaging, empty creamer cups, and coffee stir sticks.

april

Last edited by aprilconnett; 11-23-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:10 PM

April would you share directions for some of the things you make with the trash items such as creamer cups and stir sticks and the like?

I'm trying to figure out how to decorate the many empty bottled coffee containers I've got so I can turn them into vases for artificial flowers. I've heard that I can cover whatever I put on them with a thin layer of ModgePodge to make it waterproof, does anyone know if this is true or not? I'm not doing this for this Christmas but hope to have a few ready for next Christmas to use as last minute gifts.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYellowRose View Post
April would you share directions for some of the things you make with the trash items such as creamer cups and stir sticks and the like?

I'm trying to figure out how to decorate the many empty bottled coffee containers I've got so I can turn them into vases for artificial flowers. I've heard that I can cover whatever I put on them with a thin layer of ModgePodge to make it waterproof, does anyone know if this is true or not? I'm not doing this for this Christmas but hope to have a few ready for next Christmas to use as last minute gifts.
Starting a new thread so I don't hi-jack this one.

april
Old 11-26-2012, 12:54 PM

We do get our children gifts but they are a communitive or group gifts... games, legos, museum memebership, etc. Stuff that they/we can all do together.

We don't do gift exchanges outside our household... a side from an occasional plate of homemade cookies.

Christmas day we when we get together with the inlaws it's fun but casual and relaxed... finger food potluck and card games. LOVE, love, love it.... no gift-giving competition, no wasted money or time, no akward thanks for off the wall gifts, no hurt feelings over a gift or lack of, not a bunch of stuff to haul and then find a place to store, no paper clean up, no crying children because somebody else's gift is better, etc.

I really used to dread Christmas and despised shopping for everyone or spending time and effort to be creative but since we quit doing the gift thing I really enjoy it and have a great time.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:07 PM

I'm wondering who, besides me, no longer puts up a Christmas tree. I quit many years ago because I just couldn't afford a live one and the artificial ones I could afford seldom lasted more than two seasons even if it was put back in the same box it came from. I don't decorate for the season either, though I do celebrate to the fullest of my ability.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:58 PM

I bought a cheap Christmas tree 15 years ago from Wal-Mart and it's still as good as new. I do take care when putting it up and taking it down.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I'm wondering who, besides me, no longer puts up a Christmas tree. I quit many years ago because I just couldn't afford a live one and the artificial ones I could afford seldom lasted more than two seasons even if it was put back in the same box it came from. I don't decorate for the season either, though I do celebrate to the fullest of my ability.
MYR
I dont either and dont have room.
I have a pretty wrealth out on the door.
And a small center=piece on my table.

I love to take a drive and look at the lights.
And every once in awhile I will go to our Mall
and take in the sites and sounds.

Annie
Old 11-29-2012, 02:16 AM
Master Pontificator

If more people would embrace practical gifts, we'd all be better off.

I don't think we'll exchange gifts this year. To be honest, none of us "need" anything. Most likely we'll eat like kings - those who can cook will eat well IMHO. Enjoying time together is a gift in itself.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:08 AM

I've been out in the woods and fields a lot the past few days. Late afternoons are best. At least in my opinion they are. Cold, still, quiet except for a few of nature's sounds (trying to block out the airplanes in the distance). Sunlight is golden right now, low in the sky and burnishes tree trunks and grasses and even gives color to dirt roads. As the afternoon slips into twilight the moon rises. Last night it was brilliant, Venus (I think) close by it at the 11 o'clock position. Stars began to peek out, a few at first and then more by the minute as the sun slipped far enough below the horizon as it crept off to sleep for the night. The overhead dome of heaven went from turquoise to azure to lapis.

These have been my gifts the past few days.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I'm wondering who, besides me, no longer puts up a Christmas tree.
I do -we trek out into the back 40 and find one. I try not to get a balsam fir (I think they smell like cat pee) - hoping for a pine this year. Some years I'm smart enough to find the tree in the fall and put a piece of flagging tape on it, so I can find it again the week before Xmas. Most years I forget and am trudging through snow and then trying to knock the snow off trees to see if they are nicely formed.
I use my son as my "tree height indictator"..if it's much taller than him, it's to tall for the house.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:36 PM

Another reason I no longer put up a tree is my cats. They think the tree and its ornaments are their own private toy land. Especially if the ornament rolls once they get it off the tree.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:40 PM

Bought the granddaughters the Kindles for Christmas today, spent a little over $220 including tax for them. Next, once my SS check hits I'll be getting each of them a rigid cover for the Kindle to protect it. I didn't see much of a variety for the covers, just one like is on their mom's and a pink plastic one. I'll probably get the one that matches their mom's and let them write their name on the front so they can tell them apart. I'd prefer to get 3 different ones but don't know if I can find them. By the way, I've NEVER spent this much money at Christmas and probably never will again. But these keep the girls reading without cluttering up their room or the apartment with lots of books.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:23 PM
Master Pontificator

The bank statement came in today and I did very well in not over spending at Christmas, buying on sale and using promo codes to get extra savings really paid off. Everyone in my family got new clothes, jackets, and a family gift, plus a couple extra gifts for extended family member and friends. I even had enough left over that I was able to buy paint and a new rug for the sun room which will become my daughter's new bedroom and her bedroom will become my new pantry and laundry room.
I feel really proud of myself for sticking with my goal of not over spending at Christmas.
Thanks
Old 01-06-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanb View Post
The bank statement came in today and I did very well in not over spending at Christmas, buying on sale and using promo codes to get extra savings really paid off. Everyone in my family got new clothes, jackets, and a family gift, plus a couple extra gifts for extended family member and friends. I even had enough left over that I was able to buy paint and a new rug for the sun room which will become my daughter's new bedroom and her bedroom will become my new pantry and laundry room.
I feel really proud of myself for sticking with my goal of not over spending at Christmas.
Thanks
Thats awesome jean!! Good for you for being thrifty and creative. Isn't it a nice feeling to know Christmas is done, needs/wants were met, everyone is happy and you don't owe anything on it.

I have to ask......is your daughters new sunroom/bedroom (which sounds like a VERY pleasant space to have for ones own) part of her Christmas present too?
Old 01-06-2013, 08:52 PM
Master Pontificator

No, it's not part of her Christmas, she had the sunroom when we first moved in the farm house, but had to move her into another bedroom untill we got the old beadboard ceiling painted and insulated windows in. I just finished painting the room and the large hallway that joins the sunroom. Her dad build her a book shelf like the long cubbie boxes and hung it on wall for all her books. It has so much storage that all her art supplies and home school books can fit in it. On the other side of the hallway, she has a large cork board and chalk board, it looks like a little school room and she loves it. This puts her closer to us away from the back side of the house, which I always worried about her being that far back in the house.
Thanks