BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 05-27-2008, 10:54 PM
Grand Master Pontificator
Super Moderator

Default Re: Com'on, 'Ol Timers..

"12V man is cool but, he won't come out here and set up my solar stuff for me."

If I could fit it in, I'd make a road trip..

"..and pizza shop 7 blocks away.

That makes the trip even easier! ;D
~Don

Katrina-Sisu.. It don't matter how many stars ya have. Let's show 'um what we have here! Get out under that light!!
*Robert Frost*
Old 05-28-2008, 12:28 AM
Passed On

I got 51 stars, all on my flag. ;D
Old 05-30-2008, 02:36 AM

Not realy sure if meet the criteria for old timer but I have been here for a long time. I first came to this board when the Countryside forum floundered. I mostly lurk in the shadows but post occasionly. I am 39 , female and happily married for the second time. I am a nurse by profesion. Hospice is my love. I live in West Virginia, where I have spent most of my life. When I am not here the mountains always call me home. I was raised on a small farm by two parents. My father was a coal company executive and my mom stayed at home with the kids. We had some tough times but always had love. My dad gave me free reign of the farm when I was a child. By the time I went away to college I had built a farrowing operation that produced over 1,000 pigs annually. All of which started from a project pig for 4-H when I was 9. I was selected to attend national 4-H congress when I was 15. I have also raised chickens, sheep, slaughter cattle, cow and calf operation, rabbits, and goats. At 18 I won the individual national 4-H sheep judging contest. I majored in biology in college and found my niche as a nurse. I have been a mother to two daughters who came into my life at 7 and 9 years of age. One is now a social worker for a hospice in the eastern panhandle of WV and the other has a BS and is the mother of a beautiful 9 mo boy and wife of a med student. I am currently living in the Greenbrier Valley of WV with my husband who is the GM of a restaurant. I work in a nursing home in VA. It is a 100 mile round trip commute but I only work three days a week. Currently I have meat goats and a guardian donkey. I also have a large garden in which I raise most of our food along with a friend. I also hunt and fish, two hobbies I have pursued since chilhood. We recently started an orchard and will harvest our first strawberries, apples, cherries, pears, peaches and plums this year. We do not have credit cards and I work OT to pay for the big things we want. I know that when the shtf we will be able to care for ourselves and probably a few others. My grandparents who were farmers and my parents have prepared me to care for myself and family in times of need. This how many families have always lived in appalachia. We truely care for and about one another. I thank my parents for giving me the knowledge, imparting the wisdom, and encouraging the dreams.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:52 PM
Inactive Member

I'm an 'ol Timer but not on this board. This is my very first post. We have 7 acres in the woods and have been here since 1977. We have blueberries, pear trees and apple trees. Raise a few vegetables and flowers every year.

In the winter when we lose our electricity we resort to our wood heating stove. I love cooking on it and our favorite is a pot of beans and ham hocks.

There are many trees and a lot of brush on our place. A creek divides our property. A few steelhead and salmon come up the creek at various times, but we don't fish for them because there are so few and there needs to be a comeback of the run numbers. Besides it's illegal in this side creek which is an excellent reason. ;D

We have planted Douglas fir and Cedar trees and some Noble fir. Several Yew trees, big leaf Maple and vine Maple were already established here. So we are well treed. In fact it looks like a jungle!

We thank God we are so fortunate to live where we do although it is hard to try to keep up at times.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Inactive Member

Well, I FEEL old. I grew up with hillbilly gypsy parents who lived in boxes, trailers, campgrounds and fixer-uppers until I got sophis-T-Kated and went to school and college. I ran the rat race of 18 hour days, trying to raise my daughter alone, and companies shipping me from stem to stern. Then, when I was 48, my health imploded and I crumpled from the pace. BUT, I always had a garden every place we lived. I have tiny patches of grass to look at but the rest of my yard is veggies, and anything I can get to grow up North here. I'm a single Momma on disability, but man-oh-man did my kid ever blossom when I brought her up to a tiny town and its super school. I've only lived here 3 years and have lots of work to do with clay soil and solar/wind power but it is fun and peacful. I wish now that I had lived this way my whole life. Still fighting the city to get in 2 chickens but have my eye on a spot of land outside the city. I have a busted up knee and don't breathe so good but I am full of lots of TRY. We will see what develops.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:35 PM
Master Pontificator

Born and raised just south of Memphis, TN. I could walk, through the woods, to the Mississippi River in less than an hour. Back then, we didn't think twice about swimming in it or eating Catfish from it. When I was 8, I hopped on a boxcar in Horn Lake, MS, rode it to Hernando and took another one back. Six hours later, my grandmother was NOT ammused but never told my Mom. That was the first and only whippin' my grandfather ever gave me. It didn't hurt, physically, but I sure hurt inside.
I remember, at near that same age, walking Peabody and Beale Streets alone. Kids can't do that these days, I guess. :'(
Great-grandparents had a peach orchard in Wynne, AR. Me and my cousin JoAnna from Texas loved to have pit wars.
In '79, my parents moved us to north-central Arkansas where I still reside even after spending time in OK and TX.
A college degree in Industrial Tech led to self-employment as a gunsmith until the ATF wanted to check my underware size and insurance went thru the roof. Spent a decade in the Marine Industry engineering custom-fit boat trailers. Soon got into the Mountain Bike craze and took a job working for my dad at his bicycle shop. Ten years later, I found myself in a Drafting job, designing counter-tops for laboratory furniture. Still there.
I'm really good at growing tomatoes and buying Kraft Miricle Whip with long expiration dates. If I can't have a salty / tangy fresh tomato sammich, I don't know what I might resort to > .
I met Elvis when I was 6. I had no idea who he was.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:11 PM
wy0mn

48yr old geezer here.
Raised poor in the rural south. Earliest rental homes I remember were without electricity, and without indoor plumbing until I was almost a teen. We raised our own beef, hogs & chickens. As well as gardening.
One of the only times I remember seeing my Dad cry was one year he asked what I wanted for xmas and I told him a new hoe handle! True story.
I've picked cotton for funds to buy my own school clothes & shoes, cut firewood, and dug pits for outhouses, milked by hand, and plowed with a mule. I got my extra spending money running a trap line.
Being poor, I wore hippy hand~me~downs from a burby cousin. You've never seen a cow laugh until you try milking in platform shoes, and lavender, corduroy, button fly, bell bottoms with no butt pockets!
Spent over a decade in the military, 'round the world in both directions! In '92 I sold my contract, and bought a small farm in TN. While there I gardened, raised hosses, donkeys, & got into orchards. Japanese Beetles, NAFTA, and white trash neighbors convinced me to pursue my dream for solitude & self sufficiency.
I have 40 acres of prairie thats 70mi from town, 28mi off the pavement, and 2mi beyond the grid, in addition to our house in Medicine Bow.
Cabin is under construction, wind genny, PV's, batteries & woodstove are just waiting on their new home.
I work as a wind turbine technician for AES Seawest in Arlington WY. I hold a degree in Criminology, FCC licensed radio op and C&R FFL licensee. I have been a cop, minister, OTR trucker and alcoholic. Life is full and constantly changes.
Have that with a cookie Don! Serves ya right for askin'!

Lex
Old 06-07-2008, 10:22 PM
wy0mn

Is it my deodorant , or my personality? I seem to kill every thread I post to.
People! Make comments, push my name off some of those threads!
Old 06-08-2008, 11:39 AM

ill be here dang it.. you aint a Yankee are ya ?
Old 06-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

LOL.. You pulled Doc outta the woodwork! ;D

I'll take that cookie.. Thank You!!

I get that thread killer feeling myself sometimes. Guess that's the way it goes..

I was born a yankee, Doc. But I love grits! Does that make me OK.. (hehe) 8)

Lots of great post! Thank to everyone for adding! Let's keep 'um going..
~Don
*Robert Frost*
Old 06-08-2008, 03:31 PM

Peace,

For a head of lettuce I am pretty old 39, for a mountain I have not even begun in years.

Owner operator of own handy man construction company (day) and martial arts gym (evenings) for the last 12 years. Finally had a string of financial good years 4 years ago and have been on the big dig for the homestead each summer since. Not afraid of dirty work, nor reluctant to learn new skills, intent on total self reliance by 2010 and on schedule.

Have been a subscriber to the BHM mag for some time now but have been selecting it off the rack for about 10 years. What an absolute treasure to have had these resources available here and in the publication.

The rest of me is pretty much here in the infamous halls of discussion, what you read is pretty much what you get, I refuse to lie to others, but most important I refuse to lie to myself.

Proud to serve with my fellow members in moderating this excellent site, and grateful for all the members here and their contributions. I have found Mr. Duffy and Mr. Del Signore to be ample resevoirs of patience and wisdom ...thank you.

"It is reasonable and just I should have a right to destroy that which threatens me with destruction". -John Locke
Old 06-09-2008, 02:29 AM

My body says I'm 60 but my mind still thinks I'm 20. My folks were hunters and fishing parents but we lived just outside the burbs with a little acrerage. we were lower middle class money wise and in todays world we would have been considered disfunktional. I didn't know this until I went to collage. but I must admit that my family always put the fun back in disfunktional. Seems like I have been taking care of people all my life. 66 thru 70 Viet nam. 71 thru 73 corrections officer. 74 thru76 preacher. 78 thru 99 corrections officer. 2000 thru present job coach for DD Adults. Now its time to head for the mountains. I'm done taking care of others , it's time to see to me and my wifes lives.
Flatwater
Old 06-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Inactive Member

Hi All !

Hi,
I'm 53, and a retired firefighter/educator. I recently moved to Mississippi from Florida. I am currently building a house in one of Ms more rural counties. I'm also a CB'r and Ham operator. I'm thinking of a sort of hybrid energy system - although energy here is not bad. Glad to be on here. bye

wyman
Old 06-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Master Pontificator

Hey merlin. Welcome aboard! I grew up in DeSoto County, MS, just south of Memphis. Many fond memories.
Sooo...your'e a Ham, huh?? Mosey on down to the Communications board. There are a few of us here that are getting into Amateur Radio and would love to have another brain to pick.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:44 AM

Well, OK, I'll bite. Or is that, byte?
Anyway, I am a 50 yoa married female, born and raised in Charleston, SC. Ever since I was 14 I dreamed of living in the backcountry; in low mountains with no humidity where I could raise my own food and hunt on my own land. I ran my mother's garden and learned the best way to gorw everything thru trial and error; folks used to say I could put a dead stick in the ground and a week later it would flower! *Well, I got married and raised three kids, but everywhere I went I had a garden, sometimes chickens when the zoning would allow. The further I got away from the dirt, the less I liked it, but I tried to keep my nails dirty and broken.

Along the way I have been a waitress, EMT, Firefighter, newspaper reporter, political columnist, campaign manager, speechwriter, Advertising executive, graphic designer, mainframe computer programmer, ceramicist, politician, emergency management consultant, community development co-ordinator, aging consultant, and store manager. I have worked on a 1,000 acre farm in OH, plowed with a '47 JD tractor and harvested with a MF combine. I have helped birth goats, cows, and horses and taken care of them - but always someone else's, never my own.

In my gardens at home I determined that the best way to grow things was organically, and have subscribed to that theory ever since. I have grown potatoes in the desert of NM and TX, and practically everything everywhere! *During the approaching Y2K debacle-that-wasn't, I counseled folks on what to do for preparedness - and what NOT to do. So many folks had such unusual and potentially deadly ideas for survival that it really scared me - like the guy in Washington, DC, who was storing five gallon cans of gas - in his closet - in his apartment. Then I realized how woefully unprepared most people are for a tragedy of any sort - be it natural or manmade. I found this forum back then but I was mostly a lurker.

When hubby got his back crushed (he was a firefighter/paramedic) three years ago, I finally convinced him that we would be better off living more frugally and more independently. He turned me loose to find a homestead. We found one - 60 acres and a 1910 farmhouse - for sale VERY cheaply. We paid all of our outstanding bills, rented our house to our daughter, paid half down on our homestead, and moved two weeks ago! We are still getting settled, but the plans are in place for an underground greenhouse (we moved from the deep south to the midwest) and a huge garden as well as chickens and Dexter cattle.

What *I looked for specifically was: 1) A place with real winters; because it is my experience that the baby boomers are moving south to avoid the winters, and inundating it with their needs and desires and Wal Mart mentalities - which would make it a very poor place to be in the event of a calamity; 2) A place that was very rural but not so far removed that one could not develop a sustainable community - she bakes bread, he raises beef cattle, etc - in the event of long-term collapse; 3) a place with intelligent and (school as well as self) educated people with common sense and 'natural cussedness' 4) A place where there was no zoning, limited gubbermint involvement,and an unlikelihood of future development or growth; 5) a water source that was pure and unpolluted as well as not easily pollutable; an area that would be easily amenable to alternative power sources. When I found it we hauled bootie. ;D So right now we are getting arranged, getting things hooked up how we want them to be, and meeting our very down-to-earth neighbors.

I am into herbal as well as alternative medicines; I have lupus and it affects my ability to fend off diseases, especially infections, and fewer people around is safer for me, as are the herbal treatments. As an EMT, I am a medical nihilist - I have seen too many people demand treatment for not only imagined/ emotionally induced illnesses as well as for illnesses that are fleeting and cure themselves without treatment. I firmly believe that not only my lupus but many other diseases are caused by the contaminants and overprocessing that are introduced into our food and water suppies as well as the air we breathe and the things that touch our skin every day, from unnatural materials to plastics. I'm obviously not a fanatic about it - I'm typing on a keyboard!! ;D ;D - but I am aiming for a simpler lifestyle. I believe that everything from the Chinese swamping our borders, thru the volcano off the Canary Islands falling into the sea and swamping our Eastern Seaboard, to our own government swamping us with irreversible fiscal damage, are all possibilities; but I don't lose sleep over any of it. What will be, will be - but I am doing what I feel is best for me. *

There! Now ya'll know me! LOL And the black helicopters can't find me here! *;D : ;D
Old 06-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Inactive Member

I have not been round for a bit due to , well I guess life.
I have not checked yet to see who is still here but I was around when Lotus died having her baby.
Alma (as always), Doc, 12VMan, I think Ozarkman was was here then and a number of others. But MAN ther are a lot of newer members. WOW, But I shouldn't be surprised with the economy and global concerns.

I live in Rural Southeast Iowa. Right now were are having flooding out and about us But where I am is up on a good size hill that the neighbors cuss us in winter for. They always say "The Poole Hill." as Poole is our last name. But I am married for 16 yrs the 21st of this month to a Disabled Viet-Nam Vet USMC (No wimps here, Ha ha ha ha.) Actually it took me the first ten yrs to make him realize I was never in the Marines and I am actually human and Female at that. Men may be able to work harder but I think the weaker sex can work smarter.
Ok I didn't want to get that going but and wives like me would understand. I think the USMC aught to give wives of combat vets a stipend for some of the things you go thru. But thats another story.

We live on a farm just the two of us, and have three different types of gardens. We have animals mainly for enjoyment. Chickens, ducks, goats, horses and sometimes you can never tell what other critters you might find here.

Being the youngest of 5 children in my "city" family every one thinks I am being held hostage, or have flipped my lid. But I am just anti-social. I don't like being around people and I can't stand the concrete jungle. The noise, pollution, crime and God Blessed Lights at night! I have NO yard light and LOVE seeing the stars at night. Plus I can't sleep if it's bright so I have to take pills to get to sleep if I go to visit any of the family. I just can't wait to hit the gravel.
DH is 20 yrs older (and SOMETIMES wiser, But not this am!)
I do canning dehydrating and freezing, we have two full freezers and use them, DH helps when he can but he has health problems so I don't expect him to suffer. I forage in the woods. Morel mushrooms, wild black raspberries, ramps, blackberries, nuts, hunt Whitetail, and wild turkey. And I can fish! I am not afraid to field dress and get my hands dirty. Heck sometimes it helps to keep your hands thawed out for a minute, I know thats morbid, but just a little humor. Anyone who does the stalking technique would probly get it. Maybe even a few tree stand hunters.

Any who, Thats me. I keep to myself and mind my own business, but I will help a neighbor in need. We live 12 mi from town, and that ain't far enough out for me but hey it keeps the city slickers at bay. They don't like it here at night. It's too spooky I've been told. "And thats just the way I like it." came my reply. Ha ha ha ha...
Suz...

Old 06-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Inactive Member

I forgot we have the grandkids too. On occasion the Grand's come and love to feed the goats or pet the ducks (well it's more like chase them, but they have fun.) And I love irritating our DIL as she tries to keep up with the jones's with my flower gardens, But I spend MY OWN MONEY on my plants and do just a little more adding every year. She spend boo coo bucks of the money her husband WORK'S for and wants instant gratification. We have been her 11 years. I buy from our local Amish green house and just add a few new things each year. But she will go out and spend hundreds, not take care of the stuff and then they move. NOT taking what she could of the plants.

Okay off that rant. We have 5 Grands and 1Great and 1 on the way. I love being this young and being able to enjoy the kids. One of our Grandsons just completed his Chemo. Austy was dx with Leukemia when he was 2 1/2. He's now 5 nad starting pre kinder summer school. So that is really great.
For everything we have gone thru in 16 yrs I thank my Blessings as I hear of so many others worse off.
Thanks Y'all for keeping the boards up.
Suz...
Old 06-20-2008, 12:37 AM
Inactive Member

You guys got room for a newbe? I grew up in Baltimore. The square peg in a round hole. I felt at home at my Grandaddy's in Tn. Married and moved around mostly in Texas. Finally got back to Tennessee at last. I have 11.5 acres and I love it! I've planted a small orchard. I found a wild beehive on my land and now I have to find out how to tame the little beasts. I have a small garden, I hope to have enough tomatoes to can. They're easy. I've done that thruout my married life. I love genealogy, I come from Smokey mountain and Pa. Dutch stock. I am home at last but need some do it yourself instructions.By the way, Hello! Onetwig
Old 06-23-2008, 10:41 PM
Master Pontificator

I'll throw in here. I've been hiding a bit lately but it's busy season with all the work and of course 10 or 12 projects I keep going. I've subscribed for a while and then stumbled on the forums. Like most have stated, there is a ton of great info here.

I was raised in the Northeast corner of Pennsylvania. We had 60 acres, a few horses and a garden. Gardens and canning were a huge part of both sides of my family and my Grandparents continued to do so throughout most of their lives. My Grandmother on my Mom's side just quit canning last year, at 83. Fortunate for my wife and I because we inherited all of her goodies.

I enlisted in the Navy shortly after I turned 18 and spent 4 years on active duty as a Gunner's Mate and a SAR swimmer. I enjoyed it however it wasn't a permanent life for me. After I was discharged, I worked as a short order cook and also in a stone quarry. That lasted until I went to Penn State and took Electro-Mechanical Engineering. I acquired my Associates degree and a minor in Informations Systems. I worked for a CD/DVD manufacturer for 3 years. The first year or so as a line technician and the last couple as a computer technician. I then began work at a local school district as a computer technician and haven't really looked back. I also have a few business interests including a web hosting company and tech support for local businesses.

My wife and I purchased 24.54 acres about 5 years ago and sat on it for a while. In November of 2006, we started construction of our house and moved in June 1st of 2007. My father-in-law was on full time but we designed and built all we could. I designed and installed our radiant heat system as well as the floor plan and all the other goodies that make a home.

We currently have a flock of chickens for both eggs and meat, a starter orchard with nectarines, cherries, plums, apples, peaches, and pawpaws. We are working on getting our area set up for a couple of swine and working with our neighbors to utilize some of our property for pasturing some beef cows. Our garden isn't doing terrific this year but it is year 1 and I haven't been able to kill all of the rabbits yet. We are about half way done with John Silvera's chicken run/garden setup which will fix 99% of the problems.

Tripper
Old 07-04-2008, 11:05 AM

I'm an ol timer, been here for something like five or ten forum formats now..... since the mid-late 90's anyways.....mostly lurk now, got a tad too "politically correct" for me to want to post much.....

simply working for the dream.....which I will have some day

mostly gathering knowledge right now....

take care