BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 07-06-2008, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Com'on, 'Ol Timers..

I haven't been around much as of late but I'll go anyway.
My family and I have lived off grid on 35 acres along a river in north Idaho for the last 6 years.
We built our cabin and all of the outbuildings ourselves including a 6 stall barn for our horses. We were without electricity for the first 6 months (used oil lamps and candle light) and without a bathroom or laundry for the first 18 months (we still have our outhouse out back). It wasn't nearly as bad as we thought it might be...more like an adventure.
One daughter is grown and off in college, the other is 13 and homeschooled.
Life is good!
Old 07-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Inactive Member

all of your are amazing I hope soon I can live the life
Old 07-19-2008, 02:17 AM
Inactive Member

Hi all. Back after a long long time. Had to re-register. I may have some 12 volt questions for you soon. I'm back to find some help on heating and water. Will post inquiry on the proper board. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:21 AM

Hello all! I haven't posted for awhile......

I originally joined BWH in '97 under a different handle. I went through a bad time, but came through ok with the help of my friends here.

I am the mom of a 4 1/2 year old son. He is the best thing that ever happened to me! ;D He amazes me everyday! While I have always been interested in living a self-sufficiant lifestyle, I have really gotten into it since having him.

Christopher, my DS, has Down Syndrome and lots of medical issues. Some related, most not. One of his issues is an immune system disorder. He has none. It is a genetic disorder, so there is no treatment. He will not be able to go to school, or go out like to Wal-mart. Because of this, we have been told that all of his food is to be organic, and preserved by us so that we can control salt, etc. So , we get to be self -sufficient whether we like it or not!

So, since my son was born, I have not been able to work outside the home. That is ok. My mission now, is to keep our family on half of what we were getting before my son came along. Sometimes we do well, sometimes we don't.

We originally were looking for a small farm. That is still our goal. So that our son has a place to live and learn. Right now, we live in a house in town on almost an acre. While we aren't allowed to have any animals (i.e. chickens, rabbits), we do have a large garden. We have put in some fruit this year, and plan on expanding that. We are working on hooking up rain barrels, and our next "task" is to figure out a way to lower our power bills.

We are learning lots and lots from all of our friends here.

Steph
Old 08-05-2008, 03:39 AM
Master Pontificator

I am a want to be, I enjoy gardening, and the outdoor life, my background in Retired USAF and a BSA scoutmaster, My life has taught my the need for SR. I believe everyone should grow a victory graden (WW II) term.
Michael
Old 08-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Guess I'll add my two cents worth. I'm a wannabe and probably always be because I was diagnosed with Stage IV Rheumatoid Arthritis in Jan. '01, Stage V will put me in a wheel chair. Much as I hate it I can't do a lot of things I used to do or even want to do. For example many times I have to get my daughter to open a bottle or jar I want open. Can't get down on my knees anymore without a lot of pain, can't sit flat down on the floor or ground and get up again without help most of the time, can be embarrassing believe me.
Last Sept. my daughter and her hubby separated, not her decision but she's learning to live with it, so I moved in to keep her off the streets, literally. She now has custody of her girls and gets child support, we did without it until May, but still have a hard time making ends meet. Right now we live in a trailer park in a 2 bedroom unit and would love to have a house. I've put in for housing assistance, since I'm disabled the list is open, but I've been told I've got a wait of anywhere from 1-3 years. We will need a place where we can have pets, we just adopted a cat, and hopefully a garden.
When I moved I lost my library as I had no way to move it and will have to start rebuilding it once we find somewhere larger where I can have my own room.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:43 PM

How do you earn stars?????
Old 09-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby_Maline
How do you earn stars????? *
Keep posting..
*Robert Frost*
Old 09-30-2008, 10:31 PM
Inactive Member

I may not be an old timer and I seldom post anything, but I read a lot of what is posted here. I have been off grid for 10 1/2 years with no regret. I have two 80 watt panels, a C40, and 8 Interstate golf cart 6V batteries in a 24V system. I get along fine on it. I have a generator to run my wringer washer and power tools. When I replace the battery bank, I intend to add two more batteries and two more panels.

For my solar panels, I scavenged up a satellite dish stand....the old type that was huge! LOL.... I took the dish off, built a frame for the panels and bolted it to the stand. It can be angled and rotated to almost any degree.

I catch rainwater from the roof. I filter the big stuff and then run it through a carbon filter to the house. (I also chlorinate the water). The drinking and cooking water also goes through another filter to take the chlorine back out. My drinking water is more pure than any municipal water ...I do check it.

I have a Crystal Cold propane fridge that I bought new in 2002. I heat with wood only. The last propane I had delivered was the first of may and I have only used roughly 5%... I used to heat my bath water on the cookstove, but then I found an almost new 7 gallon RV water heater. I cut a hole in the side of the house and slid it in with the outside door access....just like in an RV. I only light the pilot about ten minutes before I need hot water. LOL

With my solar system, even though it is small, I have a 21 inch flat screen TV (bu never turn it on LOL) , laptop computer on DSL, Bose stereo, etc. There has only been a couple times that I've had to start the generator in the winter. But, when I "upgrade" I will take care of that as well.

When I built my little 24' x 24' house (with open floor plan), I ran two lines of wiring. I also used a breaker box from an RV. When the generator is running, I pull the cord out of the side of the wall (just like in an RV) and plug it into the generator. All the lights are 12V. Every place that I put an electrical outlet, there are two outlets. The ones on the left are labeled for 12V and the ones on the right are labeled 110V. I also knew enough to know that if I was to be in a hurry and plug something in, I may put it in the wrong socket! So, I bought the child protectors. The thinking was that if I have to take the time to pull one of those out, it would force me to think more about which one I need to use....

My house cost less than $5,000 to build. I dismantled a hay barn one mile east. Each evening I would bring a trailer load of lumber home to unload. Later I dismantled a very old and small dairy barn. After that, I helped a guy dismantle a house in town in trade for some of the basement rock and for all the maple hardwood flooring. So, I had almost all the lumber I needed and of a quality that you can no longer buy.

By the way, I was raised on a large place in west Texas. But, today, I have about 200 acres. I have had cattle for many years as well as chickens and even goats a time or two. I now have goats again. I had a billy and nanny delivered today to add to them and will have about 20 more delivered next month. Most of them are Nubians.

OH! And I became a stay home worker 18 months ago. I had to have a partial corneal transplant and my employer fired me when I told them. No...in Kansas you can fire someone for almost any reason you want. Actually, you don't have to give a reason and they were one employee shy of falling under the Family Leave Act. It was a farmers co-op.

I have two horses and two dogs. Both dogs are stock dogs. The old one is blind now but healthy and the young one is a little over two years old. Both smart and great cattle dogs....lots of help.

The older gelding and the old dog I got at just about the same time either 11 or 12 years ago. The three of us have been buddies for a long time.

I have a large garden and can most of my food. I only spend about twenty dollars a month in groceries....gotta have my coffee! (and few toiletries. LOL)

I guess I have rambled on long enough. But it only took me ten years to reach a self-suffiecient lifestyle. Try it. You'll like it and if I did it, ANYONE can do it!

Paul 'n KS
Old 10-02-2008, 01:12 AM
Master Pontificator

Paul I would like to hear more, it is interesting
Michael
Old 10-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Inactive Member

Michael,
Thanks. What more would you like to hear? LOL I am a guy with few words. I don't know how much more there is. But I will share anything I can.
Paul
Old 10-03-2008, 01:37 AM
Master Pontificator

I am hoping you would start some threads about your DIY projects, like your home.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Inactive Member

Archangel,
I am basically shy and not much of a "talker". I am not good at initiating "conversation". I'll see what I can do. lol
PaulNKS
Old 10-19-2008, 11:09 PM
Inactive Member

Hello 12vman and all from WV. I know 12v from another board and he has been very helpful. I also have some solar panels w/backup diesel gen. for emergency power. I am into growing some of my own food, alt. power and using what I got. Glad to be here.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:42 PM

I will be contacting some of you and pick your brains.
Im new to homesteading and country living. Does it count if i married into a hillbilly family ;D
I always have lots of questions.
thanks for sharing all your stories. they are all great .
taynormom
Old 11-17-2008, 12:39 AM
Inactive Member

If I kept on the path my dad set me on, I would be an old timer. I grew up on a five acre spread in North Carolina that my family and I cleared and built on ourselves. It was a great spot, near a swamp. I maybe saw five cars a day back then. We grew, fished, and hunted a lot of our own food. I used to pick blackberries from bushes in the woods behind my house, and make my own jam and ice cream with them. We had a great deep well, homemade playground equipment, and plenty of room to live and play. The downside was the goofy hand-me-downs that I got from my grandmothers. It was tough to be in middle school and wearing a skirt with green pigs on it.

Now I live in a Colorado suburb. I'm raising my kid in a sea of houses. I don't know many of my neighbors, but I have a ton of them. I spend my spare time flinging the poop from my neighbor's dog out of my yard and into their driveway and stirring my compost bin. My kid plays in a park with kids that scare me. These kids run around with cell phones better than mine, and clothes that cost more than my entire wardrobe. I feel bad that she hasn't ever been inside a tree house, or swung on a rope over a creek. Neither one of us have had food that comes from any other source than a grocery store in years.

I miss simpler times. I spend two hours of my life in traffic daily. I spend a lot of time jockeying for position in grocery store lines, dropping my kid off at events, and trying to keep my sanity. This is a far cry from the way I grew up. I grew up in the backwoods, and I was raised to be self-reliant. I lost my way. I could use some help and support. I know I sound a little whiny; but its lonely, expensive, and ridiculous in my world. Help!

Melissa
Old 11-17-2008, 01:04 AM

Hello Melissa, we are pleased to have you join us. You have done a good thing ....you have tried to start a path back to a more rewarding way of life......hang in thee some time it takes a while but you can go at a pace that fits what you can do, hang in there you will find a way...Matthew
Old 11-18-2008, 01:34 AM

well, I'm sure I qualify as an "old timer" because I joined this forum way back in '97....but been a BWH reader/then subscriber since the first issue!

Live on 15 acres in north central Alabama....have learned so much from the folks here and have made some wonderful friends! (you KNOW who you are!!!!)

I have nine goats....am slowly switching over to pgymy/Nigerian Dwarf because I am getting older and they are just easier to handle (my earlier goats were all Boar/nubian crosses); Have leared the smaller goats have even sweeter personalities than the bigger ones, (if that is possible---ALL my goats are extremely spoiled). In addition to the nine goats I have 13 Angora rabbits (have had as many as 35); about 200 laying hens and five very contented roosters; about 20 ducks; two dogs, and six cats...

We were a homeschool family but our last graduated homeschooling in 1999 and is currently in the electrical business with his dad.

I am a writer/reporter/photographer by trade but also sell homemade goat milk soap, dried and fresh herbs, homemade jellies, "farm fresh eggs from happy chickens," lap and baby quilts, and anything else I can grow or make here on the farm!

I've worked for newspapers most of my more than 30 year career but the past two years have been blessed to write primarily for agriculture and homesteading-related magazines and newspapers!

Want to really expand the herbs this spring!

My word of advice to any new homesteader is: get your land paid off as SOON AS POSSIBLE and THEN NEVER EVER REMORTGAGE IT for any reason whatsoever!!!! I'm talking from experience. Our land and home were free and clear in 1990 but then I was talked into another mortgage and now it won't be paid off again for about four years...

My other advice is to ALWAYS have working, battery-operated smoke detectors throughout your house, no matter whether you are off grid or on, and no matter what you heat or cook with!

best wishes to you all!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyCoyote
What*I looked for specifically was: 1) A place with real winters... 2) A place that was very rural but not so far removed that one could not develop a sustainable community...3) a place with intelligent and (school as well as self) educated people...4) A place where there was no zoning, limited gubbermint involvement,and an unlikelihood of future development or growth; 5) a water source that was pure and unpolluted...
May I ask what general region you found this place? That's basically my desired qualities for a future homestead.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:02 PM

Been lurking for quite some time, but recently felt inspired to post to a thread. *I first joined up and posted back in 2004 -- but have mainly been lurking since -- Figured I should post an intro post again. Seems my original intro is no longer on the board.

Live in north-central Ohio in a rural county on 2 acres. Haven't done as much for the lil' homestead as I had originally planned. But working on rectifying some of that right now. *I grew up on 155 acres in south-eastern Ohio and come from a long line of Appalachian hilljacks to the mid 1700s. *

I really enjoy BWH Magazine and enjoy reading the posts on this board. I'll try to get the time and energy to contribute a bit in the future.

* * -Mike