BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 12-31-2008, 10:03 PM
Inactive Member

Default Re: Com'on, 'Ol Timers..

Wow,

I feel very humbled after reading the posts in this thread.
Thank you all for posting and thank you BWH and Oliver for this great site and forum.

I'm a 40 something single male with a varied past but a clear goal in mind for my future. I have a great career in embedded systems engineering and 3 degrees. I put four years in as a electronic tech in the Army and worked in a coal mine to put myself through college. I ride Harley and enjoy firearms, hunting and the shooting sports. I reload to get better accuracy for my target rifles and good loads for hunting. I work on my diesel truck and Harleys myself and am pretty good at carpentry.

The current state of things in the US, lead me here and the folks here have helped me realize "it's not too late" to prepare for whatever may come. I also realize I can't prepare for a large meteor strike and the worldwide devastation that could follow.

So I'm looking for land (30 acres would be great) but enough to build my own gun range would work also.
I'd like to build my own home, plant a garden, hunt, do some target shooting and generally live more like our ancestors did a hundred years ago. Well like they did with some of the modern things that would take some of the 'work' out of living so I can enjoy the simple things. A chainsaw and gas powered log splitter would help put up the firewood needed for heat (maybe cooking), a small tractor would help get that garden planted. Then I could stop occasionally and enjoy a sunset, hike through the woods, etc.

Course, the above paragraph largely depends on my retirement funds being there when I retire and me being healthy enough to do those things above. *

Thanks again to all those who have posted.

Cheers
Old 12-31-2008, 10:12 PM
Inactive Member

Oh yea,

I'd like to add this.

I browse a few forums on-line -- gun/survival oriented sites, Harley sites, and the occasional diesel truck site.

This is the forum I stop by most and post on.

May not mean much to others, but figured I'd share that.

Cheers
Old 12-31-2008, 10:19 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

gunsnhogs - Welcome!

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Be an ant....not a grasshopper!
Old 12-31-2008, 11:42 PM
Inactive Member

Thanks pcrowder.

Doesn't that song have "cold beer on a friday night" in it?
I think it's the same one but can never catch the artist's name.

Yep, life is good with the big Harley's radio tuned to a country station, and me happily singing along ;D

Course, if I tried to make a living singing, I'd starve!
Old 01-16-2009, 11:55 AM

I'm not an old timer here, but I will be 60 soon and raised on a farm. We had hogs to kill every year when I was a child, and had cows to milk. I worked in a machine shop for over 30 years until I had back surgery 4 years ago. I can't do any hard work now, but do have a small garden. I will not ever be able to really be a homesteader, but my wife and I are looking to buy some land and build a small cabin on it.
We are thinking about west central Canada near our son. I hope we can make this work out some day before we get too old to make the move.
I want to thank the people that make this site possible.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:11 AM
Master Pontificator

cal nc welcome
Old 01-26-2009, 01:16 AM

hey there,, maybe you can help point me in the right direction.. a friend of ours who lives up in the hills has an old windmill tower...angle iron i believe is what its made of the spinner is still on it and its not hooked up to anything.. i told him one day that i sure did covet that thing and he said i could have it if i wanted it,, he had no use for it.
i asked if he was joking he said no take it... well the problem lies in this area.. i dont know how to dismantle or lower that thing and i would like to use it to go off grid.. i am looking for horizontal generators in stead of the commonly used kinds and would like to know more about generating electricity from the wind...any infor you guys can give me would be helpful
Old 01-28-2009, 12:34 PM
Passed On

Hey!!!!!! *Just WHO are you callin old anyhow ;D
MLH
mlh
Old 02-22-2009, 04:56 PM

Howdy to all y'all from the Panhandle of Florida! Wow! This place sure has changed! I registered as a member when y'all first started the BHM online forum experience and no one showed any interest so I never really spent much time here. Then we got our property and "new" old house; then I got real sick and spent six months in the hospital...y'all know the drill...LIFE! Last night, spent a few hours chatting in the "living room" and felt good to be back. I just found out that my old username/password was somehow still active after all this time? It must be 4-5 years? Time to cut the cheese;literally. Sunday is cheesemaking day. God Bless and all y'all do take care!
Old 03-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Master Pontificator

It's been longer than 4-5 years, i was here in '02 in a previous incarnation. Sometimes the bickering has gotten too much for me, but I always come back, lol.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:09 AM

I had not realized that this place has been around longer than five years...but guess so now that you mention it. I do know that the format has changed drastically, having to learn this clunky FireFox is no joy. I know that I was connected to BHM online before hurricane Ivan; will be six come August this year (2003-2009). We ended up living in a park model travel trailer; we lost our home due to Ivan; which hit us full force when it made landfall, in Pensacola, FL, where we lived at the time. I know that I had read about the "new" website presence for BHM about a year before that storm. If it wasn't for the magazine and the old website, I don't know what state of mind I'd be in now...especially while living in the trailer we had five more Category 3+ hurricanes after Ivan,to hit the Panhandle. We have this house paid for and are seriously thinking of building an earth bermed home next and let my sister move in the first house.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:01 PM

aint been here that long,been readin the mag a long time,just got the putor...live way up on a mountian in rural montana,caint even spell electricity.....off road off grid,wood cookstove,moved here from alaska where i lived in a cabin i built an grew a lot of my own meat an veggies,built my own sawmill,used that ta build the cabin an outbuildings....so im startin all over again.....this time im gonna video a lot of this stuff an will make it available to all,wanta see how ta build a sawmill for less than 2500$ a cabin for less than 6000$ stay posted for future developements... ;D..i love this place an all the folks here,i know im a little rough around the edges,an hope you will all forgive if i have offended any...yer pal huck
Old 04-02-2009, 12:03 PM
woodzman

I haven't been here all that long, but I've been around long enough to know a good place when I find it. * *I was born and raised in the Adirondack mts. here in NY. and moved to the central part of the state when I was in my teens. I was brought up on hunting, fishing, trapping and a huge garden. My dream has always been to move back up there and it's finally comming true. I bought some land several years ago and built a little cabin back in the woods. Nothing fancy, wood stove, propane lights and a good spring. I cleared an acre or so for a garden and there's enough firewood to last the rest of my life. I'm gonna pay off what I owe here in the next five years, sell the place and I'm going home. *;D
Old 04-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsnhogs
Thanks pcrowder.

Doesn't that song have "cold beer on a friday night" in it?
I think it's the same one but can never catch the artist's name.

Yep, life is good with the big Harley's radio tuned to a country station, and me happily singing along *;D

Course, if I tried to make a living singing, I'd starve!
Yup! It's by the Zac Brown Band...they have a really cool cd out now...I put it in and listen to it when I go check/herd cows...

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Be an ant....not a grasshopper!
Old 05-18-2009, 10:49 PM

Pretty much a newbie here myself.
I'm a 90 yr old body with a 38 yr old age who mentally feels like a 20 yr old. ;D

I grew up in the city/suburbs however we were lucky to have a double lot.
We had a good sized garden and raised rabbits in the back yard. Pretty hard
being country at heart and stuck in the burbs. :-/

Had many years of being young and not so smart but along the road
I lucked into marrying a wonderful man who also lived on an acre of land.
I've since gotten my head on straight (somewhat)
I've most recently (mostly with the economy & loss of my job) started
to try to become more self reliant. Looking back I guess I've actually been
doing it for a while anyways. Since I've realized it, I've been trying to come
up with a plan on how to go about it without hurting us in the process.

Now to get dear hubby FULLY committed to my way of thinking. ;D