BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 11-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Inactive Member

Default Moving North to the South

I'm newly arrived in Alabama after spending four years in a small village in Mexico to be near my son, wife and three grandkids. I'm an artist, art teacher and currently looking for a studio/house in the country.
I have become a big proponent of the Berkey Gravity water filters that my son sells on one of his web sites, having depended for it as a drinking water source for four years in Mexico.
I have become an opponent of the bottled water industry and the corporate mentality that drives them to exploit natural resources for short-term gain. Even the Mexicans "don't drink the water in Mexico" if they can help it and the bottlers have come in to take up the slack created by inadequate municipal service. Not unreasonable, as long as provision is made for those who can't afford the expense of bottled water. Enough already. More info on http://drinkingwaterwisdom.blogspot.com/ if your interested. Anyway, it's good to be a part of the group and look forward to exchaging info and viewpoints.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Inactive Member

Default Re: Moving North to the South

Welcome to the Forum!

I don't care much for bottled water, either. I'm a big fan of the Berkefeld products; if you are used to spending $1 a bottle for Deer Park or whatever, consider how much water one of those Big Berkeys can filter in 24 hours. They pay for themselves in no time.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:18 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Re: Moving North to the South

Peace,

Welcome and enjoy.

I too find the 2-3 dollar plastic water bottle repulsive, but the alternative, tap in many locations for folks is not an option with out some sort of filtration/purification.

I believe the first bottled water was from eveian, when held up to a mirror spells naieve. lol

"It is reasonable and just I should have a right to destroy that which threatens me with destruction". -John Locke