BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 10-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Inactive Member

Default Get it together

My wife and I are retired in our early fifties. We live in North Idaho, on our beautiful sixty acre, very well secured and equipped ranch. We can operate on or off the power grid and are able to survive for several years on what we have set up for ourselves. What we are looking for are a few qualified adult only couples (three couples) of like mind and spirit, to hook up with our current group out here. We would all plan to join up at our Ranch in the event of a local life threatening disaster of any sort.

We realize we can not sleep, take care of the chores and watch the borders all at the same time. Six additional folks (healthy and non smokers) with qualified eyes and hands can go a long way in successfully holding on to, what we all already have worked so hard to set aside for our personal futures. We initially qualify folks by what they have already acquired and accomplished, not by their intent or talk of future preparations. So, whoever might become our friends and join our current group, must already be carrying their own weight in completed preparations, provide their own supplies, have the means and have the mental picture of defending themselves and this small group in whatever way is required.

In turn, we can provide a very secure and comfortable semi remote location and great fellowship to those couples we might hook up with. If a couple is accepted by our group, they would then need to acquire a well equipped R.V. for their personal living quarters. We have already created sites, water, power and outhouses to handle only three. Considering the size of our Ranch a dirt bike or ATV would come in handy for you to get around, or you can walk. Once a couple is fully qualified, there will be some room available to cache nonperishable supplies here ahead of time. We have also teamed up with some of our other secluded neighbors here in various ways, doing much of the same thing, watching each others backs.

Again, each couple will need to be fully stocked in every area they expect to draw from, because the length of your stay here with all of us will be determined by when it is safe for you to leave or when your personal supplies run out. We can not get involved with families and children, just mature couples not wishing to overthrow the government, challenge local authority, hate others outside their own race, doom and gloom mind set or trouble makers. Just good American citizens wishing to hook up with like kind, working together to survive a possible crisis successfully. Please contact us and tell us about yourselves. Drop us a line.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:58 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Re: Get it together

I am a little worried about you and this post.
Please be careful.
I posted something awhile back about, would anyone want to participate in a communal camp where all were interdependent to survive TEOTWAWKI, and no one here said that they would be interested. Mostly it had to do with independence and trust issues.

I would be very hesitant myself to extend such an invitation on a board where anyone could take part. Most folk who "get it" are already prepared or preparing. Those who are not - or who have other interests in mind than simple survival - may be likely to put on a face that may fall off, revealing some not-so-nice characteristics, once they are with you for an extended period of time. Sorry to sound so untrusting, but there it is - those who are not independent enough to make their own plans are probably not independent enough to survive - or to make decisions that will help others to survive - whatever happens.

Since my bro lives in ID, too, and since we are planning together, perhaps a networking area of support and interdependence by areas, states, or areas of states would work - each one on their own property with their own facilities, but being aware of others with different and applicable preparations - might be better?

60 acres is a lot to protect for two people. That's kinda scary - I could do 10 or even 20, but 60 acres of upland mountainous and even wooded terrain is rather intimidating. Too many variables, and too many angles of approach, unless you are on the top of a cleared table mountain - and even that is scary. Good luck and please be careful...
Old 10-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Inactive Member

Thank you Wiley, for your input. We are not alone (two of us) by any means. We have a number of in town family involved as well. We are simply looking for 2-3 couples to introduce themselves and their qualifications. Everyone up to now has fallen way short as we have very high standards. I know what you mean. There is a very good chance no one will qualify, nothing ventured, nothing gained. However, if one might be brought on board, they would have to have developed a long term relationship with us, live in the area, be examined and checked out, not just show up. What we are looking for is a couple, well stocked and ready, yet might live in a suburb where survival is not a good option. It would require a life threaten event to bring us together and close down this Ranch. Net working during such a time with other families outside of our dead end dirt road area would be foolish and dangerous. If/when something does occur life will become dangerous for all. Sure, we could be taken out, so could you. If you know your forests and woods, hillsides and draws... it becomes a death trap for those who don't and might venture on them. We sure aren't moving into a bunker. We can do it with who we already have, but a couple more would help.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:58 AM

I know just what you mean, as it is just too much for one couple,but I have to go along with WC.
I wish we had a community, not a commune, that we could trust and count on. sigh. Our place is not as advanced yet as yours, we are working on it, and then what. I hope my kids can make it home in time once the SHTF.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:06 PM

Some more thoughts I had today...

As an independent cuss, I would feel really uncomfortable living on someone else's property, under their rules and approval. For one thing, I smoke - why would I have to quit because I lived on the property of someone who decided that I could not live there unless I quit? I like to hunt, and I like to fish, and I like to ride horseback for hours, and I like to do these things alone. I am not a communal type person, nor even a community-type person - although I do play a mean hand of Uno, Spades, and Hearts... ;D
I like to drink - and if I made my own wine or beer, would I have to ask permission to drink it, or have to share? Naturally, I would not expect even a benign form of anarchy, but to ascribe to and be directed by someone else's rules in which I would not have a say would be uncomfortable and chafing to me. My first rebellious question would be - What are YOUR qualifications? Why should I listen to your ideas, or abide by your rules? LOL see what I mean? I was raised to question authority ("Who made them the authority, anyway?&quot and raised my children the same.

I just don't think that independent-minded people would agree to this. It concerns me that those who would take advantage of such a situation would agree - initially - though.

And - I HATE to bring this up cause I know you will immediately think that I am one of those flaming characters bent on self-destruction and martyrdom, but it makes a fine example - Randy Weaver and his family knew their woods intimately, too. For all the good it did them. Those who are determined to overwhelm or to be aggressive are not deterred easily.

Bookwormmom, my kids are fully aware of what we are doing, and they are making plans to join us prior to any SHTF incidents. We are each in the process of shutting down our "outside" lives to disappear quietly, peacefully, and without trails. Simply and cruelly, as much as I love them, I cannot afford for them to show up at the last minute, either empty-handed or followed by a ravening horde. They were raised with Darwin's rules, and are very much aware.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:26 PM
Inactive Member

Say what. geeze you guys. We own the place so guess what... do the math please. Next, we will close down all access to and from our site... so when your smokes run out, then what. Smokers can not hike the hills or keep up either. You glow in the dark and stand out in the dark on long watches. Another truth. No drunks as well. A little wine off duty is fine. There are NO means here to make your own booze. Nor will there be. Bottom line you do not fit, no loss. I could care less about Randy Weaver. We pay our taxes and have great standing with the local laws guys as well as the Feds. We will not cross swords with them at any time so why should we be fearful???? We have no desire for half baked people and those that have all kinds of wants and needs. This is about getting through to the other end. Period. Maybe this is the wrong site. My call handle is "serious" and that my friends... says it all. Only the serious need post to us here. Take your bad attitudes elsewhere. Thought we would give it a try. Another site we blog on develops much more mature people. If you are fully prepared but lack a good place here in North Idaho to weather a storm, so to speak, drop us a line. Do you have a full years supply of T.P.?? Meds?? Food?? Clothing?? Ammo??? Toothpaste??? Shampoo? Everything else??? More than likely not. We have enough fuel deposits to run for two years with out leaving, do you??? We have all the above and tons more. What qualifies us is we weekly upgrade and re-examine our position. We spend thousand and thouands, do you?? What we find over the years is you are all talkers but not doers. That is the sad but real truth we see everywhere. If the shoe fits... wear it. Most people we meet talk the talk, but never walk the walk. As said above.. Darwin will rule and we plan on seeing the sun rise for years to come. Do you... will you??? Sorry if this sounds tough but ..."frankly my dear... I don't give a damn" now that was a great movie line, along with "a man must know his limitations". Our children take over here when we get older, they are ready.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:56 AM

One year's supply? No. Two. We were trained by Mormons on how to do it, and two years is minimal.

I used Weaver as an example. The military or the government are not the only people who have heavy armament. Plus heavy armament is not the only problem; those folks who thought that de gummint was going to save them after Katrina are another example of what happens when there are no rules and no police and no way to enforce things. If people know where you are, and know that you have something that they want, they will band together to take it. Gangs and masses of people took buses TO New Orleans to loot. If there is a massive power grid failure or any other natural or man-made disaster, humanimals will be on the hunt. The hungrier and more desperate they are, the more aggressive and self-righteous and even self-excusatory they will be. Also the more cunning and destructive.

If you look at all of the posts on this forum, you will see that most of these folks are "doing" -they are doing it in their own particular ways and driven by their own particular beliefs. Not just talking. But talking about it, sharing ideas and what has worked for them and what hasn't, as well as philosophical chats, political and social commentary, and even humor are what make us human. Sharing these things with like-minded people is educational and gives us a deeper understanding, a pause for reflection, as well as essential information and ideas for improving things.

Your last response provides more information as to your attitude and motivations - as well as a great insight as to what people could expect from you personally if they take you up on your offer - than you could ever know. Thank you so much for your offer - but I think I'll stick to the people whom I already know personally and with whom I have developed a trust, mutual preparedness, similar attitudes, and mutual understanding, and whom have already been invited to share the load based on that trust and understanding. ( A few people who think that they will be invited to share with us - and who haven't been, because of their refusal to adequately prepare - eliminate themselves by their attitudes and their inability to get along with others.) One sorts the wheat from the chaff over time and imperceptibly.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

No offense intended serious but when you gather a bunch of true independent thinking minds together, it's hard to figure who's the boss. Although your intent may be good, I don't see this as being a good idea personally..

IMO.. I'm a true "Doer" and I couldn't imagine being on someone elses property knowing that I'll never own any of it or knowing the fact that I could be dislodged at any time. This just doesn't fit my mindset. I understand the group effort thing but that's what neighbors are for. They do their thing and I do mine and I don't care on how they do theirs or should they about how I do mine..

Good luck on trying to combine folks like this on a common property that no one owns..
~Don
*Robert Frost*
Old 10-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Inactive Member

No offense taken. I have seen countless posts of people trying to get on board or start a group. To little, to late. We have one couple right now from a different source that are professionals, military training/instructors. Over two full years worth of everything down to the heavy stuff. Problem is they live in suburbia and are looking to relocate. They do not want to try and recreate the wheel but hook up with a wheel already in motion. We do not want independant self willed people. We want people that will bend and do what is needed for the common good and survive. Those that have the supplies, are happy folks, helpers and not complainers, see what can be done rather than what can not be done will make it. No where 12v did we say someone would be dislodged off of here. Are intent is to simply come together to ride out a national disaster, or attack. We have no intention of having you live here for the rest of your life. This is not your new home, just a place to go and safely wait out while the area gets back on it's feet or it is safe to relocate. No disaster I have ever heard of in modern times has prevented the population from moving about after a month or two. I can not see why anyone would be stuck here for all that long. two years? If so, just what would be left to go back to anyway. So folks please do not think we are providing you a new home, we are not. But if you live in North Idaho and your present location...due to work or whatever will not provide you with the secuity you need then look us up. 12v, we do have some of our community out here on our dead end road engaged as a common contact and support network. Down to band adjustable radios. But we can not see them or they us. We have a good sized group right now on our two homes and RV sights right here. We are extending a hand to those who qualify to come and stay if they need to to weather out a crisis, not set down roots. I see us as being the most flexible in these post, not you guys. Go for it and try to go it alone your way. Wiley, so what if bands of thugs hungry and feelin tough are roaming around looking for whom they may devour? We know that, just why do you think you are privy to that. Alone... maybe you can hide, but two years worth of gear, etc. is not esay to hide. Safety in numbers is our thought. Enough on board to have four sets of eyes dedicated to watching. With a moments notice another 8-10 artmed peole up and moving. That provides good sleep and rest. As folks say when they come by, boy you guys are sure tucked away up here, what a wonderful place. I rather doubt we will get many roving bands of thugs comin here unnoticed. All the way out here, through the country are hundreds of other homes with no gates, easily approachable and redy to be plundered. They have their small food reserve, deer rifle and figure they will make it. We can observe our only dirt road into here from one of our hilltops for a clear mile. We can also block it with dropped trees or a burm cut with a dozer. This is no half baked operation out here. But again we offer a reasonably safe place. Probably safer than yours, maybe not. The details of it are privy to only a few. We also have another couple trying to complete their preparaptions to qualify.Very nice folks by the way. The reason you must live nearby is we all need to ba able to get to know each other and fellowship long before any such event might occur. This offer is not extended to people who will not be able to do just that. Folks in the North Idaho area are welcome to respond to us. The rest of you...I just can't help but wonder why you even spend your time posting on this site??? You clearly say you will not be part of it, don't want to, probabaly live far away and more. I can tell by your posts this is not for you. So why both posting your bummer news??? We are the ones going to all this trouble to try and help save a few others of like mind and will. That says way more to me than you nay sayer who offer nothing to no one. But advise that is. Try putting that in the common food pot and serving it.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Ok.. I misunderstood the part of not living on the property. So basically it's a place to go and hide if things get tough with a bunch of like minded folks and stick together untill the threat goes away. This might work for someone who doesn't have a place of their own to protect or for someone who lives in a city to escape the madness that would be sure to happen in an emergency scenario..

But again.. IMO.. It would seem to me that the type of folks that you would attract are the ones that haven't really done anything for themselves or have never accomplished a "safe house" of their own. (read nothing better to lose) I'd be a bit leary myself..

How I see it is that I'm the captain of my ship and it doesn't matter what resources I have, (big or small) I'm going down with it. I couldn't imagine leaving here to go and hope to survive somewhere else even if it was at my neighbors home. I'm sure my neighbor would feel the same way. I would certainly help my neighbor if he approached me for it because I would know that he was in dire straights. I'm sure that he didn't want to leave his ship either..

I need to ask you if you were raised in the country or in a city. There are two totally different mindsets involved here. I could see a bit of selfishness here to draw in folks to protect what you have and let what they have just go to the wayside. In my eyes, a proud person would never go for anything like this. This would lead me right back to the quality of the persons that you collect..
~Don
*Robert Frost*
Old 10-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Inactive Member

Serious, i am new here but i have been lurking for a while and i think you came to the wrong place to look for sheeple, in case you hadnt noticed these people are doers, they will defend their stake to the death and it probably wont be theirs, the kind of people you are looking for are thew ones who will never be prepared because they are blindly following everyone else, if this is the kind of person you want i am sure you can find enough that you can sway to your thinking, as they love to follow, to build your little army, but dont be surprised if they are useless or worse they have just hustled you into inviting them to your spot so they take it while you sleep, if by chance this turns out to be a mistake for you dont head south you might run into a place somewhere around the grand canyon where things are done a little different we dont do touchy feely stuff here we shoot first ask questions later
Old 10-23-2007, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote..

"things are done a little different we dont do touchy feely stuff here we shoot first ask questions later "

I didn't want to be that forward but that's pretty much the way it is here too.. LOL

Welcome to the mix..
*Robert Frost*
Old 10-23-2007, 02:58 PM

Peace,

Wow that was some hello, lol well welcome aboard and enjoy.

"It is reasonable and just I should have a right to destroy that which threatens me with destruction". -John Locke
Old 10-23-2007, 05:09 PM
Master Pontificator

At this point, anyone interested will get a hold of you. I don't suggest you continue to attack a community of people who gather and post for a multitude of reasons. Some folks live in the city and some rural. No one has the exact same ideals and while yours seem fine for your needs, others are just fine as well. By coming here and claiming you have some "just add water" compound and are looking for takers to help watch while you sleep is pretty bold and from what I can see, goofy. Good luck on your search and perhaps while you are here you can get some decent information on improving your setup instead of demeaning others advice and information.

Tripper
Old 10-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Inactive Member

I guess we aren't very clear to you all. We all run alternating shifts, we all do the easy and hard. I can not believe that in all the hordes living in highly populated areas there are not able to say, we have are stuff together but have not been able to afford to buy a second home or property to bug out to. This is an offer to those not already there, in location. Sorry oh hairy one... Mad tripper, you must be a burnt out druggie. You will not qualify either. As posted you Must have all you need, not be running here to survive off of us, fool. Please reread and weap. Each and everyone will be checked out. Many have looked into it, none so far have made it. Leave behind what may I ask??? A track house, apartment, mobile home you will defend to the death... fools. Learn to pick the hill you will die on. In town is not that place. I am truly disappointed with the caliber of people on this sight. I do not believe for a moment you have really invested ten of thousands as we have to build a safer place. Multiple water sources, fuel depos, food reservers, firing lines, two well built homes, multiple back up power supplies, fresh food, gardens, hot tub... and all kinds of ultra high tec gear and fun stuff. Well so long losers, we are looking for just a few... like the Marines... locals who realize their digs will not cut it. None of you posters live in North idaho so again, why post?? I think the weak, big talkers and wishful thinkers post here. At least I am willing to stste my limitationa and that to do it right we still need help. You all are determined to go it alone. Getting picked off by others as you sleep.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:05 PM

Peace,

Serious,

Name calling and degradation of others is not allowed on this forum, please refrain. Calling us all weak big talkers and such is juvenile to say the least.

You pandered your commune and had no takers, even though, it is a tad rude to start generalizing and condemning us all after your grand total of 5 posts.

If you choose to remain a member please abide by the rules.

Good luck

Thanks,

"It is reasonable and just I should have a right to destroy that which threatens me with destruction". -John Locke
Old 10-23-2007, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious
I guess we aren't very clear to you all. We all run alternating shifts, we all do the easy and hard. I can not believe that in all the hordes living in highly populated areas there are not able to say, we have are stuff together but have not been able to afford to buy a second home or property to bug out to. This is an offer to those not already there, in location. Sorry oh hairy one... Mad tripper, you must be a burnt out druggie.
Look This is a very good topic but a very bad way of exploiting it.

Reasons.
1. you would like a compound setting so you work together as a team effort to help keep the property and goods at bay.

2. you would like serious people who are willing to take your command and ideas.

3. you think you have it all thought out

4. You get angry way to easily.

NOW the other side of these

1. GREAT idea having help BUT everyone wants something to call they own so unless you break the property up in to sections where the other half owns they own keep you will not find REAL people to help.

2. You are to demanding to others who may have a better or different idea on how to do things. " GIVING ALL ORDERS "

3. You may have put alot of time and effort in to this thought but real simple things can DEMOLISH your whole plan, IE: someone gets tired of listening to you bark nothing but orders instead of giving others ideas a thought and they throw mutiny on you and POOF you are gone.

4. You have shown your true colors on people who will not listen to what you say by getting angry instead of just listening and maybe learning something new or pondering a different idea." you can learn something new every day"

I could go on all day but maybe you should listen before you decide OR think before you react these are the things that make a good leader not a plan but a way out of the first plan and into an alternative plan in case the 1st does not work..

SO with all your well thought out processes WHAT HAPPENS if you have a MAJOR flood ?? your food and ammo are gone and you cannot do anything then what if you have to listen to someone else cause they SAVED you and are allowing you to live on they land??? YOU KNOW my dad said it the best.

" it is better to keep your mouth shut and look like a fool then to TALK and relieve all doubt

Just my 2 cents

P.S. I would have "seriously" SHOT you the 1st day we were together if the SHTF because of the way you act THEN WHAT all your hopes and dreams down the drain You NEED to gain respect b4 you order....
Old 10-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Inactive Member

i totally agree, you came here with your advertisement, some really well versed individuals offered their thoughts on your proposal and instead of learning anything you have gotten angry, insulted people and really just displayed your lack of qualifications.

in my neck of the woods we each have our own stake, we are located in areas that cover all access by road, we hide in plain site, we also have a system set up for all to respond in an emergency. each has their own vested interest to protect and realizes that we may have to work as a team to do it.

their is no commanding officer, each leads in their perspective area of expertise, and if you dont respect that you might end up alone fighting the hoards.

that quote was one of my fathers favorites as well!!!
Old 10-24-2007, 01:15 AM
Inactive Member

SErious.....seriously u cracked me up ;D

1 year supply wont work for me....two years either,so i got ten years ,just in case.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote.. From Serious.. ???

"None of you posters live in North idaho so again, why post?? "

I've read this a couple of times now and I'm asking you the same question. If you have this figured out, why do YOU keep posting?

I'll stick to guerrilla warfare myself. It's been proven to be effective. Ask Hitler.. LOL
*Robert Frost*