Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Food > Breads & Grains

Old 03-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Anyone have a "favorite" bread recipe to

I'm looking for some really good whole wheat or white ones...anyone have a really "tried and true"/ "old family favorite" one?

Old 03-11-2009, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Anyone have a "favorite" bread recip

I have a great whole wheat recipe.

it comes from pantrysecrets.net

It is worth the DVD.. it has like 50 things you can do with this recipe. I use it for pizza crust, bread, filled braids, monkey bread..

One hour from start to finish

Here is the half version. It makes 2 loaves and fits in my hamalton beach pro stand mixer.

5.5 C whole ground wheat flour
1/4 C Sugar ( I use honey, I like the flavor I get)
1.5 Tbsp Saf-Yeast
1.5 Tbsp Liquid Lecithin
1/2 Tbsp Salt
2 C very warm water

Put all in mixer and mix one min, check consistancy, adjust so it is not to dry.

Mix with hook for 5 minutes, spray counter with pam and work into two loaves. I usually bake once a week. We use one for bread and the other for pizza crust.

Let raise for 25 minutes and then bake 25 min at 350

Makes great bread bowls for soup, stew and chili

Fearn Liquid Lecithin shows that 1 tablespoon of liquid lecithin is equal to 1 1/2 level tablespoons of lecithin granules
Old 03-11-2009, 07:04 PM

Where can you get the lecithin? Have never seen it in any recipe before. I've seen gluten, but never lecithin.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:06 AM
Master Pontificator

you should be able to get liquid lecithin at a health food or a Whole Foods Market (if there's one in your area)
Old 03-12-2009, 04:44 PM

There is only 1 health food store within a 3 hour radius from me, and it's on the main street with only on-street parking, that I've never even been able to get in there. Maybe I can call ahead next time I have to go to the city, and make sure they have it before I drop in.
Thanks a bunch! ;D
Old 03-13-2009, 12:47 AM

You can purchase online.
http://www.vitacost.com/Fearn-Liquid...F-041178380303

I just did a google search for it. I have my mom purchase directly from pantrysecrets in Utah and mail to me. It has a great shelf life!!!!

If you purchase the dvd with all the recipes it is really worth it. They also tell you to add applesauce to the wheat bread for moisture.. I find that this causes it to mold faster. I do not advise adding applesauce unless your going to eat it in about 3 or 4 days. I can get a week or more if I do not add the applesauce. this bread is better on the wet side in my opinion. I turn it on to a counter sprayed with pam, not flour to shape the loafs.

i also add some whole oats to it for texture and I may experiment with some nuts and seeds now that I have more time.

Let me know what you think if you try it.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:42 PM

Great! I'll try it as soon as I can. We're in the middle of calving, and my son is sick, so we're really behind on everything right now!
Old 07-14-2009, 11:10 AM

Here's my favorite. It's a very rich, moist country bread:

1 1/2 cup water
2T butter
1/3 cup molasses
2T powdered milk
2t salt
2/3 cup oatmeal
1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/12 cup bread flour
2t yeast
Old 07-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RueTheDay View Post
Here's my favorite. It's a very rich, moist country bread:

1 1/2 cup water
2T butter
1/3 cup molasses
2T powdered milk
2t salt
2/3 cup oatmeal
1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/12 cup bread flour
2t yeast
That sounds good. Can I substitute white all purpose flour for the whole wheat and bread flour? Would it still turn out? I'm not much for whole wheat. And I only have all purpose flour on hand.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffodil View Post
That sounds good. Can I substitute white all purpose flour for the whole wheat and bread flour? Would it still turn out? I'm not much for whole wheat. And I only have all purpose flour on hand.
You can try, but it probably won't have enough gluten to hold together.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffodil View Post
I think you would have enough gluten.... even if you don't, it should rise just fine with that much yeast. However, It may not take as much liquid. All purpose flours don't use as much liquid as whole wheat flours.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:41 PM

Or you could just add a Tablespoon or so of Vital Wheat Gluten and should be fine.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:22 AM

Default I've been using this one lately...

It is very simple and not labor intensive at all, since there is no kneading involved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Ah9ES2yTU

Very tasty!

Tod

(my first post! (what's with all the "random questions"? very annoying))
Old 09-23-2009, 12:15 PM

This recipie came to me in kind of a neat way: my sister-in-law had bought an old house, where everything while old, was meticulously kept, reminded me very much of my Grandparent's place. When selling it, she got rid of a lot of old stuff, and gave me the bread machine, which came with it's original instruction book. Inside the book, I found this recipie hand written on an index card, in writing very very much like my Grandma's. And it's the kind of bread she would have made. These little coincidences just make the bread even better, seems to me.

Anyways, here's the recipie:

2/3 cup water with 1 egg beaten into it
3 tbsp. butter, cut up
2 1/4 cup bread flour
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. dry milk powder
1 1/4 tsp. yeast
1 tsp. salt
2/3 cup chopped mixed dried fruit

I put this in my bread machine, set on the basic cycle, for 1 1/2 pound loaf. It's turned out great every time! Don't know how to adapt it for hand kneading and baking in the oven, though.

One of these days I'll learn to bake bread from scratch, but until then, I love this bread machine!
Old 09-24-2009, 09:41 PM

I use my food processor to make my bread, the plastic dough blade does all the kneading for me. I use this recipe for just about everything; bread, stromboli, pizza crust, and cinnamon rolls.

Rich Yeast Dough
2 pkgs active dry yeast (4 tsp)
1/3 cup very warm (115*) water
1/2 cup butter (I have substituted oil successfully)
1 cup milk
4 1/2-4 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp salt
3 large eggs
2 Tbl melted butter

Add yeast to warm water in small bowl. Stir and set aside. Cut butter into small pieces. Warm with milk in small saucepan over low heat. Warm unbroken eggs in a bowl of hot tap water. (Dough rises faster if all ingredients are warm.) With PLASTIC BLADE in place, measure 2 3/4 cups flour into processor bowl. Add sugar, salt, eggs, dissolved yeast, and warm milk/butter mixture. Butter need not be completely melted. Mix, by turning processor "on-off" a few times. Then let run about one minute. This develops the gluten, makeing traditional kneading unnecessary. Turn mixture out into a large mixing bowl. Stir remaining flour in by hand, using a wooden spoon. The amount of flour needed will vary with the brand using and the size of the eggs. The dough should be soft and sticky. Cover lightly with waxed paper or plastic. Let rise 1 1/2- 2 hours at room temperature, or cover securely with plastic wrap. Refrigerate immediately. The dough will be easier to handle after chilling. To proceed without chilling, turn the dough (which has risen to double its original volume) onto generously floured surface, divide the dough in half and shape into 2 loaves and place in greased loaf pans. Cover with dishtowel. Let rise until double in bulk (about 1 to 1 1/2 hours) and bake 375* for 25-30 min.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:47 AM

Wow! That is a rich loaf! Sounds good!

I also like to use the food processor...I have the patience and attention span of a gnat ...so anything that makes things fast, easy and good, is a major plus!!!!

For a super-speedy yeasted and kneaded sandwich loaf...I use the following recipe...there's only one rise and so it's super fast!

When conditions are perfect I've made this loaf from start-to-finish in a wee bit over an hour!!!!

Who needs a bread machine?

This is a recipe for instant, bread machine or rapid-rise yeast only!
Don't try to use other yeast!!!

Inspired by a recipe from Jennifer Judd-McGee.

Speedy Sandwich Loaf

3 cups all-purpose flour. (or bread flour)
2 T. sugar. (I usually use just one T. of honey or homemade malted barley powder)
1 envelope instant yeast.
1 1/4 tsp. salt.
3 T. butter. (room temperature or warmer)
1 egg. (room temperature)
3/4 cup warm water (approximately). (very warm... 130 degrees!) I'm serious! LOL

Insert metal blade into food processor. Add flour, sugar, dry yeast and salt...process a few seconds to mix.

Add butter and egg. Begin processing, then slowly pour warm water through feed tube just until dough forms a ball, about 10-15 seconds.

Continue processing for 60 seconds to knead dough (I let it go longer, more like 2-3 minutes, just for good measure).

Remove dough onto a lightly flour surface. Cover and let rest for 10 min.

Roll dough into a 12x7 inch rectangle. Beginning at a short end, roll up tightly like a jelly roll.

Pinch ends and seam to seal.

Place, seam side down, in greased loaf pan.

Cover... let rise in warm, draft-free place until double in size about 30-45 minutes.

Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until done.

Tip: I stop the processor and pull the dough apart into several pieces a few times during the kneading. It kneads more evenly that way!

Tip: I use pre-warmed cast iron or glass loaf pans.

~Martin

Last edited by AlchemyAcres; 09-25-2009 at 04:16 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:50 PM

We never, ever purchase bread - this is one of our favorites - the seeds are optional, it still makes a good loaf - raisins are also good in this loaf - gives a sweet-salty taste. I also double it and mix it in my Kitchenaide following the usual method for the mixer.

Easy Seedy Oatmeal Bread ** - 350 - 1 Loaf w/ seeds

3/4 pound Bread Flour -- 3 cups
3 ounces Oatmeal -- dry 1 cup
1 Tablespoon Wheat Bran -- optional
1 Tablespoon Wheat Germ -- optional
2 teaspoons Instant or Bread Machine Yeast (or 1 packet)
2 tablespoons Butter -- or walnut oil or salad oil
1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
3 tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 1/4 Cups Whole Milk -- (or use water w/ 1/3 cup dry milk)
2 Tablespoons Sesame Seeds -- optional - toasted 2 minutes in microwave in shallow bowl
1/4 Cup Sunflower Seeds -- Optional

In food processor bowl, add dry ingredients except seeds. Heat milk or water to 110-120 degrees (use thermometer). Pulse dry ingredients. Turn on and slowly add liquid until dough starts to form a ball. Process an additional minute (time) or until smooth. Do not over process. Add seeds and raisins and process just until incorporated. I use the plastic dough blade.

Let rise 45 minutes until puffy, can leave it right in the processor bowl. May not double. Shape into loaf and place in greased 8 12/ x 4 1/2 " loaf pan, cover with sprayed or greased wax paper, and let rise 40 minutes, or until 1-2 inches over rim of pan.

Bake bread in preheated 350 oven for 30 minutes or until instant read thermometer reads 190 . If bread appears to browning too quickly, tent it with aluminum foil for the final 10 minutes of baking. Cool on wire rack.

Calories: 127 per slice. 1 gram fiber. Yield: 1 Loaf

If you use regular active dry yeast, the rising times will almost double.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:16 PM

Default For those on dialup...

The recipe for that You Tube bread was:

3 c. all purpose or bread flour
1/4 tsp yeast
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 c lukewarm water

A handful of wheat germ or whole wheat flour

Mix dry ingredients except the handful of wheat germ in medium large bowl a moment with hand

Add water and mix with hand until doughy

Cover bowl and let set for 12-24 hrs in a slightly warm place.

Preheat oven and cast iron caserole dish to 500* F

Scoop dough out, flatten on some flour, fold four sides up to make a ball and dust with wheat germ, then plop into the very hot cast iron dish.

Cover and bake 30 min (at 500*)
Remove cover and bake another 15-20 min.

Remove and dump loaf out to cool.

Super easy and very tasty. No kneading, very few ingredients to assemble.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom5farmboys View Post
I use my food processor to make my bread, the plastic dough blade does all the kneading for me. I use this recipe for just about everything; bread, stromboli, pizza crust, and cinnamon rolls.

Rich Yeast Dough
2 pkgs active dry yeast (4 tsp)
1/3 cup very warm (115*) water
1/2 cup butter (I have substituted oil successfully)
1 cup milk
4 1/2-4 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp salt
3 large eggs
2 Tbl melted butter

Add yeast to warm water in small bowl. Stir and set aside. Cut butter into small pieces. Warm with milk in small saucepan over low heat. Warm unbroken eggs in a bowl of hot tap water. (Dough rises faster if all ingredients are warm.) With PLASTIC BLADE in place, measure 2 3/4 cups flour into processor bowl. Add sugar, salt, eggs, dissolved yeast, and warm milk/butter mixture. Butter need not be completely melted. Mix, by turning processor "on-off" a few times. Then let run about one minute. This develops the gluten, makeing traditional kneading unnecessary. Turn mixture out into a large mixing bowl. Stir remaining flour in by hand, using a wooden spoon. The amount of flour needed will vary with the brand using and the size of the eggs. The dough should be soft and sticky. Cover lightly with waxed paper or plastic. Let rise 1 1/2- 2 hours at room temperature, or cover securely with plastic wrap. Refrigerate immediately. The dough will be easier to handle after chilling. To proceed without chilling, turn the dough (which has risen to double its original volume) onto generously floured surface, divide the dough in half and shape into 2 loaves and place in greased loaf pans. Cover with dishtowel. Let rise until double in bulk (about 1 to 1 1/2 hours) and bake 375* for 25-30 min.
Made this this afternoon, came out right at dinner time. Fantastic, thank you for the recipe!!
Old 10-29-2009, 01:45 PM

Your Welcome! I'm glad you liked it.