Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Building/Tools

Building/Tools Anything to do with construction, remodeling, etc.

Old 03-31-2007, 01:08 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Post & Beam Barn Kits

I saw this in an article in Farm Show; Sand Creek Post & Beam is a company in Nebraska that manufactures reasonably priced post and beam barn kits. I thought it might be worth a look see. Their prices start at about $10,000 (18x20) and most kits average $30,000. They manufacture them, put the post & beam together at the factory, disassemble and ship. Kits include just about everything for the basic structure. At first blush it looks like a viable and affordable way to build either a barn or a house that preserves the past with a pretty good looking and substantial structure.

www.sandcreekpostandbeam.com

Old 03-31-2007, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Post & Beam Barn Kits

It would definitely make a nice shell to then build a house into. About what size is the $30k package?

If I had my project to do over, I'd do it inside a steel barn/shop building. Just get the shell up and the basics and then go from there over time. This would be the same idea, only prettier!

Old 04-01-2007, 11:49 AM

Pretty nice. You'll probably find that most timber buildings are factory pre-built using either hand tools or (even better) CNC machinery. The CNC method will give you much tighter tolerances, and is much better in my professional opinion. 30k is not bad, considering what your overall budget is going to be. Consider that that 30k doesn't include necessities like sitework and foundation. Also, you'll need to know what is included in the 30k as far as exterior sheathing and roofing go, and how far they take it, finish-wise. Consider whether windows/doors are included. Also, whether ANY necessary interior rough carpentry is included like floor joists and sublfloor (assuming that interior partitions are not necessary).

My office has done a couple of timber framed structures, although none were residential. I would have to say that if i had the budget to build new (and i was in the market) that i'd do a timber framed house.
Which would have advanced the most at the end of a month--the boy who had made his own jackknife from the ore which he had dug and smelted, reading as much as would be necessary for this--or the boy who had attended the lectures on metallurgy at the Institute in the meanwhile, and had received a Rodgers' penknife from his father? Which would be most likely to cut his fingers? - Thoreau
Old 04-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Master Pontificator

The article in Farm Show was the source for the pricing and they only mentioned the “average” pricing of $30,000. The Sand Creek site does not go into the pricing on line… I sent for their catalog to see just what the price line is like and what is included/or not included. I'll post if they follow through.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Master Pontificator

I heard from Sand Creek. They sent an on-line catalog site:

http://www.sandcreekpostandbeam.com/..._Catalog_E.pdf

They also sent a PDF file for pricing, but I can't figure out how to post that attachment. Any thoughts? I can download the attachment in their email and it shows the price sheet, but I can't seem to post it and have it work. The attachment looks like this:

PriceSheetInserts[1].pdf

The "title" at the top of the PDF screen looks lik this:

PriceSheetInserts[1][2].pdf - Adobe Reader
Old 04-06-2007, 09:27 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

From what i can tell, those barns more "resemble" the old traditional barns than are actually "like them". These appear to be stacked beams with metal brackets (cut from sheet steel) holding them together.

With NO mortice and tennon joints, they would be quite easy to build, and MUCH cheaper if you just bought a small sawmill and put one together your self... More work forsure, but much cheaper forshure too!!

I've been thinking of building a cabin exactly the same way, saw out the beams myself, and use brackets and rebar to hold it all in place..

I figure i'd check into makeing the patterns for the brackets out of posterboard, and then see about haveing someone cut them all out on a water jet... I think if a guy looked around, he could find someone who would do it reasonable? That way i wouldn't have to torch them all out myself. Also a water jet leaves them ready to use too!

I just down loaded the pdf, everything you need is there to copy for deminsions and even the shape of the brackets...

BTW, I'd post the price list, but i didn't find it??

DM

Illegal immigration is ruining America, look what it has done to the White House.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Master Pontificator

Here is the price sheet, thanks to some great help from ZooNana... THANKS!!!

http://the-gulch.com/files/pricesheetinserts%5B1%5D.pdf