BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 02-01-2009, 03:55 AM
Banned

Default Ammo Shortage

As one would expect after the Obamanation of Desolation ammo is really getting hard to find. The ammo shelves in every Walmart store in the OKC metro is close to bare meaning 15 or so boxes of varing types but mostly odd ball stuff. There is not one brick of .22 ammo at a Walmart to be had within 200 miles. Could this be one of the marxist means to surpress freedom. Something stinks to high heaven and it sure ain't gun powder.

Rick
Old 02-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Re: Ammo Shortage

well we have a shortage becouse we aer buy'n so much.
stay on your toes, but when you have a run on the sporting goods store, what do you think will happen? Those things aer not cheese burgers. When you have so many back ground check the state can't keep up...and when you have major gun dealers with empty stores it adds to the crazy demand. Who is going ot re tule for a fad? are we to think that gun dealers will pick up and expand for a short term rush on the markeet?

the limet on .22 ammo was imposed along long time ago. it's been overlooked. I think even if Guns are outlawed..they will be like Pot in some states.. or booze in the 1930's
Old 02-02-2009, 02:08 AM
Banned

Stopped in one Walmart yesterday that had a sign over the almost bare ammo shelves that read "onbly 4 boxes of ammo per customer".

My brother called from TX today saying a local Walmart got in a case of Federal .22 in bricks. It didn't last long.

Rick
Old 02-02-2009, 11:36 AM

Walked into my local store yesterday. all guns in place.. no change. know why?? everyone in my town has plenty of both.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Master Pontificator

All the gun shops in my town have plenty of whatever you ask for. business is booming, and they are ordering extra to keep up with the demand. everything is 100.00 more than it was this summer though.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:10 PM

I'm pretty well stocked up on .22's and other ammo but like Rick I always enjoy being able to pick up an extra brick at W-M from time to time for a cheap price and it's been slim pickens since November. *I figured that the stock would come back after hunting season but it hasn't happened yet. *I'm sure that ammo is available if one wants to pay more or look a little harder but I've gotten spoiled buying bricks cheap. * *
Old 02-04-2009, 05:09 PM
Inactive Member

Outdoor America in OKC had bricks of Federal & Blazzer 22.s They also 500 rnd (might be 550 rnd) boxs of Federal. Tuesday 02/03. The also seemed to have a good supply of ammo in other caliburs too. I didn't check the prices.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the update aintaokie! Do they keep the ammo behind the counter, where you have to get an employee to help you? It's been a while since I've stopped by Outdoor America and they were usually to busy to get any help. I've thought about stopping at Brigadoon's surplus in Del City. They carry some ammo. It looks like W-M might be pooping out on ammo, just like when they removed rifles from many of their stores.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:39 AM

The wal marts here are bear as well. Prescott AZ. I was told they will be getting another shipment around the middle of Feb. I am in good shape but it would make for good bartering in the not to distant future.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:47 AM

Walmart has gotten rid of all the guns; there's a lonely muzzleloader on the shelf and that's it. Plenty of ammo tonight; bought a 100 shell box of 12 gauge. Couldn't find any .22s, but that's usually behind the counter, and there wasn't any help around.

Stopped at my favorite hardware store yesterday and picked up a brick of .22, and some .410. No shortage there.

I've been trying to get a little with every paycheck, but the prices are so crazy I have to cut back. The box of 12 g. I bought today was almost 25.00, and I used to get it for around 15.00.

At least it didn't have bar codes on it. (Yet!)
Old 02-05-2009, 03:33 AM

Was at Fleet Farm today here in Green Bay. Plenty of everything except 5.56

Ya'll really need to shop somewhere besides Wally World.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Inactive Member

Watonga Jim Outdoor America has all the ammo behind the counter. The best times to go there are weekdays before or after the lunch crowd, and early Sat. morning. I found that Monday mornings are the best time for me. Also H&H has ammo, but they only carry certain brands.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Inactive Member

IMHO, PANIC BUYING is the cause!!! Everyone is running and buying everything they can get their hands on. And the raw materials.

I can't believe the cost of AR's, AK's, FAL's...etc...etc...

Who would have thought AK's would sell for 450+? and DPMS "run of the mill" AR's for 800+?

Makes me think I should have bought all those AK's etc..from people that wanted alittle money in their pockets in the past 2 or so years...could have gotten premium prices nowadays..lol

What I can't really figure out is, why are people willing to pay, lets say $125+ for 200rds surplus .308, when you can go buy new production for the same price? Thats what I can't figure out...maybe because its in a sealed battlepack or something? Ammo will last for along while if you take appropiate measures.

Don't expose it to extreme climate changes, etc...

Hell if your that worried, put it into GI cans and throw in some dic. paks, or seal it yourself.

I think its only going to get worse, so I will have to admit...im buying .308 every week 100rds at a time, don't go broke all at once, and gets me out to gunshops every week...might find a deal? lol
Old 02-08-2009, 11:50 AM

As of 2/6/09

Right now my Wal-mart is 100% out of everything but shotgun ammo. They have no clue when they will get restock as their suppliers are out.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:16 PM

Local paper just ran a story about this...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,2201778.story

From the link:

---
After months of heavy buying, gun dealers across the state are experiencing shortages.

Some say it began with the election of President Barack Obama. Others say it's about the economic downturn or fear of crime. Whatever the reasons, ammunition has been selling like plywood and bottled water in the days before a hurricane.

"The survivalist in all of us comes out," said John Ritz, manager of East Orange Shooting Sports in Winter Park. "It's more about protecting what you have."

Demand for bullets is so strong that suppliers are restricting deliveries.

"Where we used to get 20 to 30 cases [in a shipment], we may get two to three cases now," said Vic Grechniw of Florida Ammo Traders in Tampa. "The supply just isn't there. . . . Everybody is pretty much rushing out to get their hands on whatever they can."

Most in demand is handgun ammunition, including 9 mm and .45-caliber for semiautomatic pistols and .38-caliber for revolvers. Clerks at local Walmart stores, including Apopka and Kissimmee, say those sizes, along with .22-caliber, are on back order at the chain's warehouses.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Banned

Just returned from a trip to Texas and was able to find a Walmart that had 11 bricks of Federal .22. Now I can go do some plinking for a little while.

Rick
Old 03-03-2009, 02:40 AM
Inactive Member

Pretty bad round here too.... Wally-worlds sell out there stuff soon as they get it.
At the Super W the other day they had NO .22lr, NO 9mm, NO 45ACP, only 2 boxes of 40S&W
They had some rifles ammo but mainly the obscure (300win mag etc) 45-70 etc.
Still had quite a bit of shotgun ammo, but all birdshot etc, no buck or slugs....
Though friday at a smaller wally-world I did get a couple bricks of .22's and one of those 100rd winchester white box 9mm... love that stuff!

edz
Old 03-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Inactive Member

my local wal-mart had about 10 boxes of ammo left, pretty bad shape, only 1 box of 30-06, no .22's, and most of what was there was FMJ, look at the bright side, Obama's already stimulating the economy! ;D ;D
ken
Old 03-04-2009, 09:29 PM

Our WM same as 9er's. Nothing but high end shotgun shells. Found 45ACP at local gun shop but no white box, just Am. Eagle and PMC JHP. The guy at WM said they'd been out a while and had no idea when they'd get more.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:53 PM

There's plenty of ammo to be had around here... Some of it not cheap, but there's ammo every place i go that sells it...

DM

Illegal immigration is ruining America, look what it has done to the White House.