BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 10-05-2015, 01:47 AM

I work at WW and have not seen .22lr for about 6 months I think. Of course by the time I get to work, sometimes 10 AM others 1 PM, it is always gone. They don't even tell me about it anymore. So I hit the local gun stores and such. But not gun shows. Those people are asking WAAY too much money.

But one think I am told is there is NO line of people waiting for it anymore. That is unless there is something like the 1000 rd boxes coming in. I know there were a few web sites saying when and what ammo is going places, but one friend told me his site doesn't report it anymore.

I'm Living My Dream! Three Horses, two Dogs and a Bit of Land!

Last edited by lraude; 10-05-2015 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 10-05-2015, 02:54 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lraude View Post
I work at WW and have not seen .22lr for about 6 months I think. Of course by the time I get to work, sometimes 10 AM others 1 PM, it is always gone.
An update to my 02SEPT post:

I happened to be in the neighborhood of that same store 2 days later. Out of curiosity, I popped in to see how well that stack of 22LR was holding up. I picked up the last 3 boxes.

So, the fact that the supply lasted few days does support the idea that the hoarders aren't necessarily staking out the supply.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:42 PM

I buy at Walmart. My store stocks ammoshelves at 7 am . Sign is posted to say that so everyone knows. There used to be a web site called "Brass buddy"that alerted folks but not any longer. Limits are still in effect 3 -100's, 1- 500 or 1 -1000. I stop in when I am in town and hit it right about 1 in 3. Sklylar, the guy the that works there says people aren't showing up at 7 the way they. use to. I even got a box of 22 snakes shot a couple weeks ago - something I had not seen I a long time.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:45 PM

I see from the White House release that the President is contemplating "Executive Action" on gun control following the Oregon shooting. I wonder where that will take us?
Old 10-05-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
I see from the White House release that the President is contemplating "Executive Action" on gun control following the Oregon shooting. I wonder where that will take us?
What I read was that he had his staff looking to see if there was anything he could do. But in his speeches he basically said there is nothing he can do and if people want something done then they have to do it them selves thru thier representatives . He literally threw up his hands and gave up.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
What I read was that he had his staff looking to see if there was anything he could do. But in his speeches he basically said there is nothing he can do and if people want something done then they have to do it them selves thru thier representatives . He literally threw up his hands and gave up.
I read a pretty good piece after the Charleston shooting. It helped me to realize a couple of very high hurdles the gun grabbers would have to surmount.

1. Apparently the gun grabbers point to the Australian gun confiscation (they called it a "buy back" but it was mandatory. ) The Aussies don't have the same ownership protections so it was relatively easy to herd the people into the gun grab.

2. The scope of the Australian gun grab is not even in the same universe as we have in the U.S. of A. We already have unconstitutional constraints to gun ownership ("shall not be infringed"). So, let's say an executive order came along to expand upon the unconstitutional infringements we already suffer.

Comparing Oz to Texas we find that the head count is similar - Texas slightly larger. The Aussies collected between 650,000 to a million guns and claim that made a difference. I seriously doubt Texans would be so forthcoming and even if we did manage to cough up a million guns that would probably only be a rounding error in the total gun count around here.

Now, if you recall the Connecticut rebellion and New York's "Safe Act" rebellion (even their Sheriffs and Troopers refused to comply) you see how even the Bluest states won't comply with tighter restrictions.

Currently, we, the people, are sucking up guns and ammo like sponges, further entrenching the will of the people against a tyrannical gun grab.

Having said all that, I think that gun and ammo sales are doing as much or more than the ballot box for the protection of our rights (rights which exist regardless of the constitution).

Ultimately, we may, someday, look at the ammo shortages as a key factor in preventing another civil war because nobody wants to fight someone that they know to be stronger than they are.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:48 PM

Here in the North East things are pretty good. Supply is there, not like it was a few years ago, but it's okay.

Prices are down this year, but not what they were.

There are still a lot of guys crying about the price...I tell them "At Least It's On the Shelves".

The thing I can't find is good powder for reloading. No problem with primer's...but powder is tough.

Still, there are deal on rifle and pistol ammo for target shooting.

...like they say...buy it cheap and stack it deep.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:42 AM

Powder is good here. Big box stores were low on pistol. Standard rifle was ok.

Varget is back on the shelves, big box.

Local places have all reloading powder and primers strong.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:37 AM

Yup Kachad...pistol powder is the tough one here. Keeping ymy eyes open!
Old 10-09-2015, 10:05 AM

Exclamation over priced

As a FFL I'm getting all kinds of flyers on what a great deal I can get. NOT at .10c or more per round.

$500.00 for 5k case. And what do I charge? 30% mark up doesn't even sound reasonable.

One outfit wants to sell me a bucket of 1400 Remington Thunderduds for $139.00. While china mart has the same bucket priced @ $69.00.

I've been telling guys to start down loading their smaller center fire cartridges.

Heck, you could purchase a HR 357 rifle. Load & shoot 38's and still be under the $500.00 per case price.
Take your 38 brass and reload it with you home poured 38's. A pinch of powder and primer and I figure not including you equipment cost, a person could load 6,000 38's for $300.00.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowderbill View Post
As a FFL I'm getting all kinds of flyers on what a great deal I can get. NOT at .10c or more per round.

$500.00 for 5k case. And what do I charge? 30% mark up doesn't even sound reasonable.

One outfit wants to sell me a bucket of 1400 Remington Thunderduds for $139.00. While china mart has the same bucket priced @ $69.00.

I've been telling guys to start down loading their smaller center fire cartridges.

Heck, you could purchase a HR 357 rifle. Load & shoot 38's and still be under the $500.00 per case price.
Take your 38 brass and reload it with you home poured 38's. A pinch of powder and primer and I figure not including you equipment cost, a person could load 6,000 38's for $300.00.
Agreed.

It's nice to see powder and primer on the shelves now. The last three months seem to have really freed up these components.

A long ways from the dark days where everything was short. Luckily, it didn't impact me really, since, well .... you know.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:45 AM

With all the school shootings, I would worry about a "magazine shortage". I suspect they will go after the Mags again and try to limit them to 5 shots.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:48 AM
Master Pontificator

i don't think shortages would stem a civil war, if enough angry people are pushed enough to tip the country into civil war then they would be making ammo in garages and makeshift factories. plus they would be using chechnian firecrackers and liberty pistols if required (chechnian firecrackers are homemade machineguns and sub machineguns, and liberty pistols are junky handguns that were airdropped into france in ww2 with the idea that insurgents could use them to shoot german soldiers and "liberate" their weapons). unlike a lot of more restricted countries where such weapons are regularly found, the US is full of tools and equipment and info that could quickly be repurposed into making them, they are very rare here because we already have ample amounts of guns on the market.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:32 PM

I have noticed that the local owned gun shops in my area have an abbundance of ammo...in the past year and a half they have 3 times as much ammo as back then...and it is a wide selection...prices aren't what they were a couple of years ago...but it is very available....at least around here.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
Most of anything he would do, will be hidden from the public. Regulations on ammo and gun manufacturers that will increase the prices at the retail level making it more difficult for average people to maintain their shooting hobbies.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael32170 View Post
Most of anything he would do, will be hidden from the public. Regulations on ammo and gun manufacturers that will increase the prices at the retail level making it more difficult for average people to maintain their shooting hobbies.
Good analysis.

Anything BigBrutha does would have no effect on the mentally ill or the criminals: they don't follow the laws, so it makes no difference what the laws are.

With 330M people in the country and over 300M guns, any regs making buying new guns more difficult would have little practical effect. Ammo has become more difficult to buy because the public, wary of his rhetoric against guns, have been stock piling it. Even a complete restriction on ammo sales would take a many years to deplete the public's arsenal.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:02 PM

Please explain to us how he could do that . Fantasy.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael32170 View Post
The background check is a good example. A more extensive background check will cost money, the FFL will be changed for the 'service'. He could require background checks be 'renewed' every few years. Then start raising the cost of the 'service'.

He can do what he did at the IRS but on the manufacturers.

He could create more safety regulations in shipping guns and ammo, raising the cost of shipping.

He could regulate spare parts.

He could require background checks on any one shooting at ranges.

He could impose quality standards on raw materials used to manufacture weapons and ammo.

He could impose stricter regulations on handling, storing explosive materials.

He could require builtin mechanical locks on all guns and make any non-complying guns illegal.

There are hundrends of options available to him. He has a staff that is working on ways to do this.

This is just a list of possibiliities. I am not claiming he will do these.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
Please explain to us how he could do that . Fantasy.
Same way San Francisco was able to run the last gun store out of their town. Guess they will no longer have any gun crime in the city.

IT will be done slowly

http://ww2.kqed.org/news/2015/10/13/...-store-closing
Old 10-15-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Same way San Francisco was able to run the last gun store out of their town. Guess they will no longer have any gun crime in the city.

IT will be done slowly

http://ww2.kqed.org/news/2015/10/13/...-store-closing
Baloney..
I wager there are other reasons he is closing .

Quote:
Wal-Mart, which sells more guns than any retailer in the country, also videotapes sales. Wal-Mart spokesman Brian Nick says that practice has not hurt the company’s business.