BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 10-25-2015, 10:04 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
Ammo shortages have only to do with paranoia nothing else.
Where's the proof?
Old 10-25-2015, 11:10 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjr View Post
Where's the proof?
Because there is no other reason. Gun laws have not changed. Like I said we enjoy more 2a freedoms now than anytime in kast 30 years ( at least xsince none renewal of assault weapons ban) . While a small few ( ( NY and maybe CA)
Have enacted laws many more states have passed laws protecting our freedoms.
Fedgov has done absolutely nothing despite Obama scares.

When did the shortage start ? 2008. When Obama elected ..
People went nuts thinking he was going to take our guns.

Manufactured are making more than ever but people still talk about stocking up 10,000-15,000. Rounds !!! Why ?

Just like after newtown ar style couldn't be had. Same paranoia. Now Walmart won't even stick them anymore cause they don't sell.

That paranoia
Old 10-25-2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Because there is no other reason. Gun laws have not changed. Like I said we enjoy more 2a freedoms now than anytime in kast 30 years ( at least xsince none renewal of assault weapons ban) . While a small few ( ( NY and maybe CA)
Have enacted laws many more states have passed laws protecting our freedoms.
Fedgov has done absolutely nothing despite Obama scares.

People went nuts thinking he was going to take our guns.

Manufactured are making more than ever but people still talk about stocking up 10,000-15,000. Rounds !!! Why ?

Just like after newtown ar style couldn't be had. Same paranoia. Now Walmart won't even stick them anymore cause they don't sell.

That paranoia
You really believe Walmart quit stocking a gun because nobody was buying them? Please that had nothing to do with it.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
You really believe Walmart quit stocking a gun because nobody was buying them? Please that had nothing to do with it.
Yes I do . Pretty good friends with the guy at Local Walmart
The ar styles had been in the shelves and had not moved for 6 months.
That was last they were going to get in.
Of course to some everything is a Conspiracy ! What makes you think it otherwise ??the bottom has dropped out of the ar market.
I suspect walmart is going Back to where the money is ---hunting .
In fact the while industry is down the last two years. The bubble brought on by the scares after the newtown shooting has burst . I think I read somewhere hand guns and tactical sales are down 25 % since just plast year.

Last edited by MissouriFree; 10-26-2015 at 01:08 AM.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:01 AM

Default Healthy paranoia

Quote:
People went nuts thinking he was going to take our guns. . . . That paranoia
Any experienced stock trader will tell you that paranoia is good for business if you play the options game.

But technically speaking - "paranoia" (i.e., an unfounded fear) might be a bit strong.

Points to consider:
  • Our governments, (national to local) have done some unconstitutional things like banning certain guns/accessories/ammo. Let's not forget New Orleans, post Katrina. In other words, there are some valid reasons to exercise prudence.
  • When the government knows that we, the people, have them outgunned and out numbered we are fulfilling the very spirit of the 2nd Enumerated Right. This results in peace.
  • When individuals stock up on arms and ammo they effectually create a distributed arsenal which could come in handy in the case of a "Ferguson" or "Watts" or terrorist type event where citizens might be separated from their home base for a time. If I get stuck near your area, wouldn't it be good to know that you could supply some extra forces?
  • Let us not forget: Building up supplies when the picking is easy will have a pay off later. I know several who have made some good cash off of arms and ammo. Those .223 rounds are more stable than a dollar. Were the customers paranoid? Or just paying the price for delayed prudence?

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:53 AM

I understand. What you are saying but I stick with paranoia.

The fear is indeed unfounded. Especially if you have to go all the way back to Katrina to find something.
The fact is that our 2a freedoms are in better shape now than they have been in a long time .
It is indeed paranoia not" stockpiling " when people Storing. 10's of thousand rounds of 22 cal. That is not a round that one looks to in one of those events you speak of.

I stand on paranoia ---- unfounded fear of what ever.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Of course to some everything is a Conspiracy ! What makes you think it otherwise ??the bottom has dropped out of the ar market.
In fact the while industry is down the last two years. The bubble brought on by the scares after the newtown shooting has burst . I think I read somewhere hand guns and tactical sales are down 25 % since just plast year.
I think I would listen to what the CEO said about the day they announced it instead of some worker in the store.

.... " "Our focus in terms of firearms should be hunters and people who shoot sporting clays, and things like that," said McMillon in June. "So the types of rifles we sell, the types of ammunition we sell, should be curated for those things."

When asked at the time if he would curtail sales of semiautomatic guns, McMillon said "yes."

"We want to serve people who hunt and fish and we want to have a great sporting goods department," he said. ...."
Old 10-26-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I think I would listen to what the CEO said about the day they announced it instead of some worker in the store.

.... " "Our focus in terms of firearms should be hunters and people who shoot sporting clays, and things like that," said McMillon in June. "So the types of rifles we sell, the types of ammunition we sell, should be curated for those things."

When asked at the time if he would curtail sales of semiautomatic guns, McMillon said "yes."

"We want to serve people who hunt and fish and we want to have a great sporting goods department," he said. ...."

LOL Bones.
I read that and thought about posting it but you seemed pretty well convinced of the reason in you first post on the subject when you said:

Quote:
you really believe Walmart quite stocking them because nobody was buying them. Please that had nothing to do with it.
So I didn't.

Quote:
"It’s based on what customers are looking for and what they were buying when they come into Walmart," he says, adding that modern sporting rifles, or MSRs, were sold in less than a third of Walmart's stores. "It’s very similar to what we do with other products. If there’s not customer demand there, we’ll phase it out."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...fles/32407803/

Try this

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/wal...-looking-guns/

Last edited by MissouriFree; 10-26-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
LOL Bones.
I read that and thought about posting it but you seemed pretty well convinced of the reason in you first post on the subject when you said:

So I didn't.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...fles/32407803/

Try this

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/wal...-looking-guns/
Yep I read those as well, all from a Spokesman not a CEO.

You think it might have something to do with they just do not want another lawsuit?

Or could be they are sitting on the shelf because they bought high and now cannot compete with prices now they have gone down.

Back on topic still see nothing to attribute the lack of 22LR on the shelf. I have a hard time believing people are still buying out the stock as soon as it hits the shelf so they can mark it up and sell it again. Why can I buy 500 rnd of 223 for not much more than 500 rnd of 22LR ($99-$124). 223 has significantly more powder and brass. That is if you can find a Brick anymore.

Last edited by Bones; 10-26-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Yep I read those as well, all from a Spokesman not a CEO.

You think it might have something to do with they just do not want another lawsuit?

Or could be they are sitting on the shelf because they bought high and now cannot compete with prices now they have gone down.

Back on topic still see nothing to attribute the lack of 22LR on the shelf. I have a hard time believing people are still buying out the stock as soon as it hits the shelf so they can mark it up and sell it again. Why can I buy 500 rnd of 223 for not much more than 500 rnd of 22LR ($99-$124). 223 has significantly more powder and brass. That is if you can find a Brick anymore.

You " opinion" is what it is / opinion despit the facts. And you. Are entitled to your " theories" despite facts. When I see "could be" , maybe, don't you think ? It turns in that and nothing more.

Last edited by MissouriFree; 10-26-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:19 PM

Unhappy New Yorkisstan I know to well

I /we lived in NY for 32 years just moved out last year 2014. I was a President of the Wayne County Federation, Director with SCOPE, Director and President of Williamson gun club, NYS Muzzle Loaders assn. and a founding trustee and President with Region 8 north instructors association. PLUS a handful more seats and titles.

Even with the down state mentality out voting us the libtards still get a foot hold upstate.

I'm still sorting thru my plunder and found 2 bricks of 22lr and 9 boxes of 22m today. I can sell 223 55gr jacketed remanufactured for .40c each including tax...brass case with LC head stamps.
Just sold 600 rds of 223 on 10rd clips 62gr green tip included 2 spoons and ammo can for $300.00

I have been playing with 223 55gr cast boolits and reduced loads the primer cost as much as the powder.

Last edited by blackpowderbill; 10-26-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:50 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
AR's are still selling strong here and if Walmart really & truly wants to cater to the hunting crowd, why are they eliminating those hunters that use an AR from the hunting equation? Walmart like a lot of others say what is convenient (for themselves) at the moment.

Last edited by Jjr; 10-27-2015 at 01:01 AM. Reason: corected spelling
Old 10-27-2015, 01:00 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
You " opinion" is what it is / opinion despit the facts. And you. Are entitled to your " theories" despite facts. When I see "could be" , maybe, don't you think ? It turns in that and nothing more.
It appears when someone else is speaking, all they offer are: theories, hypothesis and opinions, yet when you are talking, anything you say is "hard evidence!" Your buddy's opinion at Walmart does not equate anymore to "hard evidence," than do your own theories & hypothesis.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:58 AM

R
Quote:
It appears when someone else is speaking, all they offer are: theories, hypothesis and opinions, yet when you are talking, anything you say is "hard evidence!" Your buddy's opinion at Walmart does not equate anymore to "hard evidence," than do your own theories & hypothesis.
Thats why I provide links to statements and reports ( in this case first hand report from a store employee , CEO statement, spokesman statement ) not merely an opinion that the statement is a lie. Which is all I have heard hear.
If you have anything other than your opinion bring it on-- just like I did.

Apparently Walmart is not just dropping ar's .

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/w...171642170.html

Of course this could just be cover and a lie also.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:46 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Apparently Walmart is not just dropping ar's .
Just for the record: I/we do not shop at China-mart, and if they went out of business tomorrow, I would not shed a tear. Quite the contrary, I would probably throw a party!
Old 10-27-2015, 09:48 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Just for the record: I/we do not shop at China-mart, and if they went out of business tomorrow, I would not shed a tear. Quite the contrary, I would probably throw a party!
So you go to another store to buy the same products walmart sells but at higher price?
Old 11-18-2015, 12:51 AM
Master Pontificator

When there are no places left at which to shop, but Wal-mart then we will shop there. And yes it might cost a little more, then on the other hand maybe not.

Back when the boy was shopping for a handgun, we went to the local sporting goods stores, but none had the brand and model he wanted. Then we went to Bass Pro and they had what he wanted but the manager was at lunch and had the key to the display case. Lame excuse I know. Possibly true, regardless it was past lunch time so we came home.

After eating lunch, I phoned Nichols Sporting Goods about 60 miles to our South. I shopped at Nichols fairly regular, and recognized the ladies voice who picked up in Sporting Goods, but I very seriously doubt she recognized my voice or name either one, since I was routinely a cash customer.

I told the lady what the boy wanted, she did not have it, but could have it Tuesday (this was Saturday). Gun and two ten round magazines as a package deal. I asked if she could add three 15 round magazines. She sure could! At that time the price was nearly $700 before tax. I gave the lady my name and told her to order the items and I would be down to pay for it in an hour and a half or so, since I was about 60 miles away. "Where are you at?", she asked. I told her.

There was a momentary pause, and she told me, "You don't have to come pay for it now, I'll order it and you can just pay when you pick it up." Try that with Wal-Mart. Some people look at more than just the bottom line.

Then there's how Nichols treats their employees and customers, vs Wal-Mart. The neighbors wife worked for Wal-Mart a decade or so, and if you want to hear a real ear full, I'll see if she would like to contribute to this thread. That way you can get it from the horse's mouth as the saying goes.

I can repeat dozens & dozens of stories told to me when working about Wal-Mart and their questionable business practices. All of those stories may not be true admittedly, but as the old saying goes where there's smoke there's fire! Then some of those stories were people I personally knew and work with over a quarter century relating their personal experiences with Wal-Mart. There are good, honest and reputable people employed at Wal-Mart, but the business as a whole does not have a very sterling reputation here, and from past news articles, I am lead to believe their reputation proceeds them in many other locations as well.

I have always told the kids, "Integrity has a high price tag!" But it is the ruler by which ethical people measure EVERYTHING.

What is the yardstick with which you measure things?