BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > After Sunset > Books/Poetry/Member Fiction

Books/Poetry/Member Fiction Discuss books or poems you've read or post poems or fiction you've written.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Currently reading the third book in the "Monster Hunter" series by Larry Correia, "Monster Hunter Alpha" awesome series great writer, knows his way around weapons, has a good sense of humor, loves poking at the government and liberals.

http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/

Make a Difference: http://www.lp.org/membership
Old 09-24-2012, 08:24 PM

Just finished, After America - the coming armegeddon - Mark Steyn.

It's kinda a horror-story, despite the fact that we seem to be living it. The book's footnoted all the way through, with the sources of the strange things he collects, to make his scary points.

He does make some good points about how to fight back and stop the lunacy.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:51 PM

Executive Order--by Tom Clancy
and No Easy Day(Navy Seal)

I read one put it down and read on the other--excellent books.

(I am a fan of black ops)writers.

Txanne
Old 09-25-2012, 02:59 AM

I am currently reading "The Sworn" by Gail Martin, it is the fourth of her books in a continuing fantasy series that my wife and daughters also read, excellent author and series.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:14 AM

The Ultimate Stress Relief Plan for Women

Great information.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:43 AM

No Easy Day was a good read! Already lent that one out.

I absolutely don't understand what all the uproar about this book was. I think he was even more careful to protect his buddies and techniques and op sec than Chris Kyle was in American Sniper.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:35 PM

The big fuss is because his eyewitness story differs from the political version put out by The O and Friends. There was no grab for a rifle by bin Laden or trying to use his wives as shields. He just got his head shot off for sticking it out into the hallway.

The story about the crash of the MH-60 was much better than anything fed to the press, too. Still no explanation for why the helicopter went out of control, though. They'd practiced the rope-in many times in a full scale mockup of the compound, so the story that the rotor upwash from the compound walls causing the problem just doesn't make sense. I also appreciated better why they didn't properly destroy that tail rotor.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:57 PM

I guess there'll always be something that goes wrong, in any situation like this, grumble... I don't know enough avionics to reverse engineer the situation. But, I think you're spot on, on the real reason for the uproar.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Banned

Missouri Free,

Thank You... You deserve something good for yourself. Something?? I dont know what? But you started this brilliant post, four pages long now, of good books for all of us to read!! Im writing down a list from all these friends of ours!! I had no idea how "well read" that all of us are? I guess it is the long winters, that brings it out in us? Anyway...
Good On You !!! I love books.

My favorite is... The Chronicles of Tao
by... Deng Ming-Dao
It is 476 pages long... but that is a good thing!! Ive read it three different times already; and I plan to read it some more. Again and Again... Winter after Winter

"It transcends the tangible and points to the mysteries we can imagine, and all we cannot"
--Los Angeles Times

Ironclad,
El Viejo Tejano Mucho Reado

Last edited by Ironclad; 09-25-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumble View Post
The big fuss is because his eyewitness story differs from the political version put out by The O and Friends. There was no grab for a rifle by bin Laden or trying to use his wives as shields. He just got his head shot off for sticking it out into the hallway.

The story about the crash of the MH-60 was much better than anything fed to the press, too. Still no explanation for why the helicopter went out of control, though. They'd practiced the rope-in many times in a full scale mockup of the compound, so the story that the rotor upwash from the compound walls causing the problem just doesn't make sense. I also appreciated better why they didn't properly destroy that tail rotor.
I understand from the Seal I saw on an interview--is that the tail bump something or caught something on the wall---and theY had to sit down in an different area.

I have so much admiration for the Seals---I get goose bumps---I read anything concerning them----what it takes to become a seal is unreal.
And their bravery is unparrelled--Like the Special Forces of Veit Nam era.
But we must remember--obummer did it all by him--silly self.

I love to read---I have always---felt so sad when I find people who cant read a book.

Txanne
Old 09-26-2012, 10:52 AM

Since I was a kid... I've always thought a day would come when us "folks" would have to defend our homes and communities -- that the fight would come here. It was just a feeling I had... and until '01 I had no reason to think it was anything other than an irrational, imaginary fear. I've read a LOT, taken some classes, and tried to teach myself - think through situations to their logical outcome and figure out what you can't possibly predict (try to guess what the unknowns might be, and what you can never know, in other words).

So, my reading has been all over the map. I also had the good fortune to share an office for a couple years with a "retired" Navy Capt ('nam, Bay of Pigs) who taught at the war college. After awhile, that translated into a "hobby" of studying tactics and strategy... and so I devour these "war stories" looking for bits and pieces of the story that helps me understand how these go from being abstract concepts... to reality... and what the risks and costs and rewards are.

I never want to have to do this for real... but I also can't help feeling that if I'm not prepared -- and I have to -- I'm going to be kicking my own butt in a not very good way. The opportunities to learn how to be ready are all around me, and if I don't ever need the skills or knowledge to defend myself... it still has benefits. Once again, I just have this personal feeling - about my own situation - it's now or never. Do it or always depend on someone else to do it for me.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehairedidiot View Post
Since I was a kid... I've always thought a day would come when us "folks" would have to defend our homes and communities -- that the fight would come here. It was just a feeling I had... and until '01 I had no reason to think it was anything other than an irrational, imaginary fear. I've read a LOT, taken some classes, and tried to teach myself - think through situations to their logical outcome and figure out what you can't possibly predict (try to guess what the unknowns might be, and what you can never know, in other words).

So, my reading has been all over the map. I also had the good fortune to share an office for a couple years with a "retired" Navy Capt ('nam, Bay of Pigs) who taught at the war college. After awhile, that translated into a "hobby" of studying tactics and strategy... and so I devour these "war stories" looking for bits and pieces of the story that helps me understand how these go from being abstract concepts... to reality... and what the risks and costs and rewards are.

I never want to have to do this for real... but I also can't help feeling that if I'm not prepared -- and I have to -- I'm going to be kicking my own butt in a not very good way. The opportunities to learn how to be ready are all around me, and if I don't ever need the skills or knowledge to defend myself... it still has benefits. Once again, I just have this personal feeling - about my own situation - it's now or never. Do it or always depend on someone else to do it for me.
Of course--I know when reading mu fiction books--alot of the heros are super heros.

But like you I can glean survival info from them---Night vision is one of the things i have studied.

I to hope and pray that we never have to be put in this mode.

Txanne
Old 11-28-2012, 01:02 PM

I am about half way through General Grants autobiography ---tremendous book---
Interesting he wrote it at the urging of Mark Twain as a way to provide for his loving wife julia. Grant was at that time dying of Cancer. it covers the time frame 1839 ( birth) to 1865. best of all it has his letters to his wife attached.

•September, 1884, Grant's illness of the throat is diagnosed by doctors as cancer. In the Fall, he begins work on his Memoirs.

•January-March, 1885, The cancer spreads and completely debilitates the General. He is only able to have liquid foods in small portions. The pain is almost unendurable, but he valiantly writes on in an effort to provide for his family after his death.

•June 16, 1885, Moves with his family to Mt. McGregor, New York. The doctors advise the move because of the cooler climate. Grant is down to 120 pounds and is so weak he sometimes falls from his chair, but gallantly hides his suffering from his family.

•July 19, 1885, He finishes his Memoirs and lays down his pencil for the last time.

•July 23, 1885, At 8:06 in the morning, Grant dies, surrounded by his family and physicians. Fred stops the mantle clock and then fondly returns to the bedside to stroke his father's forehead a last time. Grant's Memoirs, a timeless classic, sells over 300,000 copies, becomes the bestselling book in U. S. history, and earns Julia a staggering $500,000. Even today in the 21st century, Grant's work is still considered the most well-written memoirs by a U. S. President.

The editioin I have is the Library of America edition. cloth backing, sewen not glued binding, great quality unfound in todays books.

http://www.loa.org/volume.jsp?RequestID=46

next up will be sheridan

Last edited by MissouriFree; 11-28-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:17 PM

A must read.
Thanks MoF
Old 11-28-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
I am about half way through General Grants autobiography ---tremendous book---
I read this one when I was younger, excellent book and Grant was a good man, for a Yankee, truly sad that in his later life he wittingly or unwittingly became the victim of so many con artists and crooks.

Gen Sheridan was also a great leader in his own arena, his role in the Valley campaigns and later in the Indian Wars are legendary.

Last edited by Teg; 11-28-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teg View Post
I read this one when I was younger, excellent book and Grant was a good man, for a Yankee, truly sad that in his later life he wittingly or unwittingly became the victim of so many con artists and crooks.

Gen Sheridan was also a great leader in his own arena, his role in the Valley campaigns and later in the Indian Wars are legendary.
I am sorry i typed sheridan and meant sherman
Old 11-28-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I am sorry i typed sheridan and meant sherman
Ah, Sherman while a technically sound General, is one that I have little use for as a person, he was not a man of honor like Grant or even Sheridan. In most other conflicts he would likely have been tried as a war criminal, just my opinion though.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teg View Post
Ah, Sherman while a technically sound General, is one that I have little use for as a person, he was not a man of honor like Grant or even Sheridan. In most other conflicts he would likely have been tried as a war criminal, just my opinion though.
you need to read more about him. mopst of what people claim is pure BS
Old 11-28-2012, 04:38 PM

If you ever lived in Atlanta or Charleston, you might not think much of the guy. He's lucky the War Of Yankee Aggression didn't end differently.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
you need to read more about him. mopst of what people claim is pure BS
The victors write the history.