Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Health

Health Any kind of health issue, alternative medicines, herbal and folk remedies, etc.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:02 AM
Master Pontificator

Default Swollen tonsils--a question for adults

I still have my tonsils, and right now they are so swollen they look like big old chicken livers. I woke up in the night feeling feverish, definitely coming down with something. Swallowed and it felt like I had something stuck in the back of my throat. I knew what it was, it happens sometimes. Got the flashlight out and looked, and sure enough, they are so swollen they are nearly touching behind my uvula. It's gross.

Has anyone here gotten their tonsils out as an adult? Has anyone ever known another adult who has had theirs out? Mine are really trouble sometimes.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:23 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Re: Swollen tonsils--a question for adults

Adults can have their tonsils removed but it is ususally after a long drawn out process of given you every antibiotic in the book. Until you are able to see a doctor, you may want to look into taking a few drop of silver and raw honey does ease some of the pain. I gargle with peroxide but I realize that has fallen out of favor with some medical professionals. Good luck and I hope you feel better.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:48 PM

I used to take ibuprofin when mine swelled up. It DID help!

I have not been bothered for a few years, though.

My brother used to swear by hot milk and honey when that happened to him.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:31 PM

I always use warm salt water. Sometimes hydro peroxide too.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:21 PM
fnfredux

by all means gargle now with very wam salt water, and do it every couple of hours.
Thing about tonsils is...they get infected and keep the infection from getting any further. That's what my doctor said umpteen years ago. Most likely strep. If you go to the doctor, he'll give you some antibiotics. This would be a good time to take some.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:30 AM

If your swollen tonsils are making speech or swallowing difficult, then a trip to the doctor for antibiotics is the best idea. Especially if you had chronic (several times a year) problems with your tonsils because a tonsilectomy (removal of the tonsils) may be a good idea.

You can do a few things to treat swollen tonsils at home. A gargle with antiseptic mouth wash can help fight off the bacteria, especially if the tonsils have white spots on them. Use of some throat soothing drops can also help numb the tonsil area if you are experiencing pain, especially when swallowing.

You can also try gargling with a mix of a dark colored soda (coke or pepsi) and powdered aspirin. Make sure you don't swallow it, but just gargle with it. This is one of the classic "old time home remedies" that has been around for years.

Some important herbal treatments for tonsillitis include:

Gelsemium 6C: It is a well-known herb for the treatment of tonsilitis. It is mainly used for the healing process of tonsils.

Belladonna 30C: A Homeopathic remedy used for fast relief of acute fever, pain, headaches, sore throat, swollen tonsils, dry cough.

Gallium aperine (also known as Cleavers):It is an excellent cleansing tonic and has a beneficial effect on all the lymph glands, including the tonsils. Gallium aperine is effective in relieving swollen tonsils and other lymph glands and is also recommended for glandular fever.

Stay hydrated. Drink iced beverages or suck on popsicles. Frozen liquids help numb the throat. Try hot teas with honey, and clear soups. Get plenty of rest.
Avoid cigarette smoke and other irritants.

Fenugreek Seeds: A gargle made from fenugreek seeds is very effective in severe cases of tonsillitis.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Master Pontificator

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I tried the honey and to be truthful, it helped but only for a few minutes. I think it probably coated them and then after I swallwed several times, it was painful again.

No apparent strep, no white spots, squiggles or exudate. Just really reall red and swollen. I can swallow but I can only speak just above a whisper. No larengytis, just hurts my tonsils to speak.

I wish I could just be rid of them.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:14 PM

I had my tonsils out at age 43.
Don't regret it a bit.
I did start having ear infections about a year later but found a cure for them with vinegar that kills the fungus that was causing them.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:06 PM

gargle with plain old hydrogen peroxide. you will be surprised how fast things clear up.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:53 PM

You should go to a doctor right away. I had several dozen rounds of untreated strep as a kid. My dad always used "at home" treatments like aspirin, vicks, onions in sugar, etc. That was the way his parents did it, so I was raised like that too. By the time I finally ended up at the doctor for antibiotics at 13, I had rheumatic fever. It affects your heart for life. I take 8 different scripts for heart disease now, and have since I was a teen. It really would be in your own best interest to see your doctor for some antibiotics. Taking some PA is much easier than having heart failure.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:35 AM

GoodDaughter, did you ever get your tonsils out? I remember all the problems I had before I had mine out. one time they were so swollen that they would cut off the blood flow to my brain when I sat up and I would pass out. That time the doctor made a house call, and gave me a shot of antibiotics and a prescription for more antibiotics. It has been so much better since I had them out.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Master Pontificator

Unhappy

I realize that the original post is almost a year old but thought I would give my input.

GoodDaughter,

I use to have chronic tonsillitis in my early 20's. Then after a while I started running high fevers like over 101, enough to make an adult feel horrible. This went on like every month or every other month. And no matter what antibiotics I was given whether oral or injection or both, it never really cleared it. I had crypts on my tonsils and all the puss and bacteria would lodge in there and never leave entirely. My uvula would get so swelled up that it felt like I was swallowing it when I would drink or try to eat somthing. The antibiotics helped temporarily. Then it got to where it started interferring with my job. I had insurance with this job so I went to an ENT and after reviewing my medical records and an examination and a few swab tests, he determined that they needed to come out.

I was about 25 when I had them removed. It was the MOST PAINFUL thing to endure. I lost twenty one and a half pounds in 7 days! It was so hard to swallow even water let alone food. During my recovery, I also had referred pain to my ears meaning that there was nothing wrong with my ears but they were taking part of the post tonsillectomy pain and the pain was redirected to my ears as well.

Needless to say, I didnt like the smell or taste of lime or orange flavored Gatorade, the taste of pudding, jello, applesauce, ice cream, mashed tators and green beans for a long time because that is all I was able to eat like maybe 2 or 3 ounces at a time and it was a real effort. I eat those things now but didnt for about 4 years after that as I just didnt have a taste for it anymore or it grossed me out.

Today, I am so glad to have had them removed. I hardly suffer even a sore throat. Maybe once a year and I dont get colds as often as I use to then.

So I understand and sympathize with the frustration, discomfort and pain that you are feeling in your tonsills. It would be a good idea to get referred to a reputable ENT doctor and see what he recommends. I did the home remedies as well with very little relief.

Please let us know how you are doing, whether it has become a more chronic condition or if it has stabilized. See your doctor so that this chronic problem will get documented. Insurances need to see chronic problems and treatments used with the affected area so that they have supporting statements to approve the surgery . I know you probly know this but Im just saying in case someone reading this is not aware.

The winter season will be here in no time. That is the time of year I dreaded most when I had my tonsills.

Hope all is well.
~jen