Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Hunting/Fishing/Trapping

Hunting/Fishing/Trapping Hunting, Fishing, Trapping and related conversations.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:24 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Re: the Vulture and the Eagle

Flatwater.. same here.. I have allot of cameras,.... and I have 10's of thousands of pics... my best pics are of bears... I think I have just about everything you see in the woods except for a skunk... and a turtle... and no snakes..

Old 12-25-2008, 11:06 PM
Inactive Member

Hampster- Beautiful Female Redtail!!!! She is premium stock!!! Once I figure out how to post pics I'll post some of my Redtail with a squirrel we killed together. Thanks for the pics.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:15 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

I have a friend that got his licence last year and his first bird was a red tail. He had a vidio of a pheasant fying horizontal close to the ground then all of a sudden you just see a blur and then this pheasant just explodes. He let me hold her on my arm what a treat to be that close. Hi light of my year.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:21 AM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatwater
I have a friend that got his licence last year and his first bird was a red tail. He had a vidio of a pheasant fying horizontal close to the ground then all of a sudden you just see a blur and then this pheasant just explodes. He let me hold her on my arm what a treat to be that close. Hi light of my year.
Flatwater it is truly addictive. I do all kinds of hunting, but falconry by far is the best. The intensity the birds have is remarkable. We catch our redtails wild. They are first year birds and some are more trainable than others, but they all have the desire to kill and eat prey. For as long as I live I will always be a falconer. If you have a little time you should try it. It doesn't take alot of time as some might think. The worst part is building your mews and taking your test after that it's game on.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:15 PM
Master Pontificator

I would think having a bit of control over the wild would be a thrill...

I love my cameras... they give me a moment with the wild I would never otherwise see..
Old 12-26-2008, 09:02 PM

It's my understanding that you never really tame the bird , they just except you as part of the hunting teem.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:05 PM

I've watched a pare of cooper hawks work together to hunt the quail around my feeder. It was quite amazing to watch how they worked together. One acted as a decoy while the other one hid in the tree. As the quail would come out they would watch the decoy then the other one would try and swoop down to nab a quail.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:32 AM

On a 38 mile stretch of road one day going home from work, I witnessed a pair of bald eagles work together to nab a quick meal before retiring from the hard day. It appeared they were tired, and looked rather ruffled. My guess was that they were a migrating pair and had been busy flying down for the winter. There was a white heron on the ditchbank fishing the shallows, the two baldys were very high up and circling so I slowed to a crawl for a better look. One of the eagles went into a dive toward the heron so I pulled over and stopped to watch the show. The 1st diver swooped down from a very long dive and just barely missed the heron, but it scared him, he jumped about 4 feet straight up and began flapping his wings to fly off to a safer place when the second eagle hit him in mid air. He/she was in the same high speed dive as the first, but about 20 feet behind the first one. I looked like someone had shot a feather pillow with a 12 gauge shotgun. That heron just exploded from the force of the blow, and the whole area was covered with white feathers. The team flew off to a tall dead pine tree nearby and proceeded to enjoy the seemingly needed meal. To witness such a sight excited me and I wanted to share it with someone, but I was alone with no one to talk about it with, so I just had to contain myself until I got home. I have never seen two animals work together like that to so accurately accomplish a mission. It's as if they had it all planned out to the second, and it worked perfectly. A Beautiful sight to behold. The birds of prey have always fascinated me and I watch them hunt every chance I get.

rick
Old 12-27-2008, 07:38 AM
Master Pontificator

Wow Rick.. what a neat story.. and arn't you glad you stopped to look... so many don't.. most don't... I'm glad you did and now you've shared it with all of us... Thanks..
Old 12-27-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampster
Wow Rick.. what a neat story.. *and arn't you glad you stopped to look... so many don't.. most don't... *I'm glad you did and now you've shared it with all of us... * Thanks..

Thanks Ham. I am enjoying this entire thread also. As most folk that relate to BHM, I too was taught very early in life to walk silently and be aware of my surroundings, and it has grown throughout my life, my unkle sam even expounded on it considerably. I, as a hunter, have spent many hours in a tree stand, just enjoying the critturs in their daily lives, and usually forget about the hunting and enjoy watching, as Hunter 63 said. I've many times missed killing a deer choosing rather to just watch them, especially if they are interacting with others. I have even found that while sitting at the base of a tree, to remain very still and quiet, many creatures, even deer, will approach and investigate, as long as there is no motion or threat to them. Believe this or not, an extended hand, but it must be with the palm up, I have had deer sniff my hand, as it posed no threat to them. A funny scene was watching a hunting buddy who fell asleep at the base of a tree one time, a doe very cautiously came up and sniffed his boot. Saw a cartoon once of exactly the same scene.
An apple or peach in your pocket seems to make a difference too.

rick
Old 12-27-2008, 11:36 AM

Ummmm... me too. Good thread. I love wildlife (and not just because they taste good next to the mashed potatoes).

Two buddies of mine went hog hunting. The sun was warm, they had gotten up very early, and they propped themselves up against a tree, one on each side, to wait and watch. (Wild hogs, especially the boars, can be VERY dangerous.) They both...fell...asleep. One woke up to see a whole herd of hogs, boars, dams, and piglets, rooting all around them! He froze. He barely breathed. After about 15 minutes, the hogs went on their way. Then came a whisper from the other side of the tree, "Holy crap Jeff, did you see that?" Joel on the other side had done the same! Later that day they got a couple of fine boars - but were pretty sure that they were not from the same herd!

We had just started to get armadilloes in our area, and a friend who works for Wildlife had never seen one close up. So when his dogs were barking out in the yard early one morning, he went out to see. There in his yard was a full-grown armadillo, happily digging away. Well, Bob got his shovel and whanged it - with no response, other than the armadllo started to dig deeper. Bob shoved his shovel into the dirt behind him, and lifted the critter up and out. The armadillo turned around on the shovel, and Bob realized that that snout had teeth, and those front paws had HUGE claws! The dillo without missing a beat scrambled UP that shovel handle, ran up over Bob's chest and shoulders, and down his back! Imagine being face to face with a totally unafraid creature that was coming right for you! When Bob finished "screaming like a little girl" as he put it, the dillo was gone. He was completely unscathed.

Wild critters are so much fun to watch. I too have sat or lain perfectly still and allowed them to come up to me and sniff me or just look. They are so curious and so playful. I even have had hummingbirds meet me at the truck, flying in my face and swearing, to tell me that their feeder was out!
Old 12-27-2008, 12:40 PM

That was good Wiley, the killer diller ! Brings to mind another day I was just sitting in a tree stand, a huge beautiful great horned owl flew into the top of my tree and spent the longest time trying to figure out what the hell a human was doing in a tree like that. I could only presume that he recognized me as a human, but the fact that I was high up in that tree, I posed no threat to him, he moved to several different branches to get a better look, and his look of utter disbelief almost made me laugh out loud.

BTW Wiley, what words do hummingbirds use when they swear ? That's a new one on me. *

Warrior, we'd really love to share some pics of your hunters with you, if possible. The redtail is beautiful, and I wouldn't want to try and take her meal away. She appears to be saying : MINE !

rick
Old 12-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Master Pontificator

here's a good one.. my husband just called.. he and his buddy are duck hunting.. they are on the water... 1000 yards from land... and 2 bucks.. an 8 point and a 6 point come swimming buy... headed for land maybe a half a mile away from where they saw them.. lol..
Old 12-27-2008, 05:06 PM

When I was younger and didn't snore quite as loud , I would often time fall asleep after a long hike up against a tree and when I would wake up I learned to keep still and open my eyes slowly. Sometimes I would see all sorts of game. Now I sound like a frieght train and it acts like game repellent.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:27 PM
Master Pontificator

flatwater.. you're too funny
Old 12-27-2008, 11:53 PM

Yes I am aren't I . My wife just tells me to act my age and grow up. I tried that once but didn't like it
Old 12-31-2008, 05:07 PM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rAcErRicK
On a 38 mile stretch of road one day going home from work, I witnessed a pair of bald eagles work together to nab a quick meal before retiring from the hard day. It appeared they were tired, and looked rather ruffled. My guess was that they were a migrating pair and had been busy flying down for the winter. There was a white heron on the ditchbank fishing the shallows, the two baldys were very high up and circling so I slowed to a crawl for a better look. One of the eagles went into a dive toward the heron so I pulled over and stopped to watch the show. The 1st diver swooped down from a very long dive and just barely missed the heron, but it scared him, he jumped about 4 feet straight up and began flapping his wings to fly off to a safer place when the second eagle hit him in mid air. He/she was in the same high speed dive as the first, but about 20 feet behind the first one. I looked like someone had shot a feather pillow with a 12 gauge shotgun. That heron just exploded from the force of the blow, and the whole area was covered with white feathers. The team flew off to a tall dead pine tree nearby and proceeded to enjoy the seemingly needed meal. To witness such a sight excited me and I wanted to share it with someone, but I was alone with no one to talk about it with, so I just had to contain myself until I got home. I have never seen two animals work together like that to so accurately accomplish a mission. It's as if they had it all planned out to the second, and it worked perfectly. A Beautiful sight to behold. The birds of prey have always fascinated me and I watch them hunt every chance I get.

rick
Rick- What you saw is truly unique among eagles. Birds of prey work together but usually you are not able to see it. The funny thing about birds of prey which make them great for falconry is the fact that when they learn something once they get it. Up north the falconers would never in a million years hunt together with more than one redtail hawk at a time. I thought that was SOP the world over until I moved to the south and the all the falconers let thier Redtails out into the trees. It is amazing watching birds of prey literally think and plan the next move of attack. One would slam talons first into a squirrels nest pushing anything in there out while the others sit patiently waiting for the squirrel to bolt and when it does Oh Boy!! Thats where the real fun begins. You should feel blessed witnessing that event. Hopefully when i learn how to post pics on this forum I will post a few of my girl. She looks a bit goofey, but she is a true hunter. Good post
Old 12-31-2008, 06:51 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyCoyote
Ummmm... me too. Good thread. I love wildlife (and not just because they taste good next to the mashed potatoes).

Two buddies of mine went hog hunting. The sun was warm, they had gotten up very early, and they propped themselves up against a tree, one on each side, to wait and watch. (Wild hogs, especially the boars, can be VERY dangerous.) They both...fell...asleep. One woke up to see a whole herd of hogs, boars, dams, and piglets, rooting all around them! He froze. He barely breathed. After about 15 minutes, the hogs went on their way. Then came a whisper from the other side of the tree, "Holy crap Jeff, did you see that?" Joel on the other side had done the same! Later that day they got a couple of fine boars - but were pretty sure that they were not from the same herd!

We had just started to get armadilloes in our area, and a friend who works for Wildlife had never seen one close up. So when his dogs were barking out in the yard early one morning, he went out to see. There in his yard was a full-grown armadillo, happily digging away. Well, Bob got his shovel and whanged it - with no response, other than the armadllo started to dig deeper. Bob shoved his shovel into the dirt behind him, and lifted the critter up and out. The armadillo turned around on the shovel, and Bob realized that that snout had teeth, and those front paws had HUGE claws! The dillo without missing a beat scrambled UP that shovel handle, ran up over Bob's chest and shoulders, and down his back! Imagine being face to face with a totally unafraid creature that was coming right for you! When Bob finished "screaming like a little girl" as he put it, the dillo was gone. He was completely unscathed.

Wild critters are so much fun to watch. I too have sat or lain perfectly still and allowed them to come up to me and sniff me or just look. They are so curious and so playful. I even have had hummingbirds meet me at the truck, flying in my face and swearing, to tell me that their feeder was out! *

Very funny stories... thanks.. lol
Old 01-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Banned

"allterrainwarrior"... Goldens are huge!! Females are the larger of the two being that size is the only way you can tell most Birds of prey apart in North America. A full grown Golden Eagle is capable of taking down a Wolf, Deer, and Small Child. I have a few freinds that hunt with Goldens and they are awesome birds for falconry."

Mr Warrior... WOW...Im familiar with "Golden Eagles" a little bit, enough to be amazed!!!
I think most people would just mess their pants if they were standing next to the landing of a monster bird like that. Another (maybe the same?) is a type of golden eagle over in Scotland...HUGE...what am I thinking of? Anyway...that people can actually tame and train them for falconry and hunting!!??
Jeez I would just Love to see that! I would make "the long drive" to go see that!!
The "Food-Chain"?? Humans arent on the top! Eagles are!!
---Ironclad

Last edited by Ironclad; 01-07-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjmw View Post
Eagles will only eat fresh kill. It does not matter if it is road kill, or leftovers from a hunt/fish catch. My Brother goes to Canada every summer canoeing. When they get done filleting the fish they put it out on the rocks (a ways from camp so not to attract any bears) and after a shot while you can usually see an Eagle come down for a quick and easy meal.
John
Eagles will eat anything!! We have alot of eagles were we live in Canada. Have seen them on rotten cows fish whatever. They are actually more into scavenging than hunting. Hence the salmon streams around here. They come for the dead fish but sure will kill when they need to. They are (opportunists) like all predators. Including us.

Years ago I lived on a lake shore for two months. To the north there was an eagles nest. To the south 600 yards away was an osprey nest. Every morning for two weeks I noticed the Osprey hunting for fish on the lake. He would catch a fish then get harassed by the eagle until he dropped it. After 3 weeks when the Osprey caught the fish if the eagle was around he would drop the fish and the eagle would swoop down pick it up and head to his nest. This went on all summer. I guess if your the eagle and considered the big dog you must pay rent if your an Osprey.

Too my knowledge the only dark bird that big is a Golden Eagle.