Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Hunting/Fishing/Trapping

Hunting/Fishing/Trapping Hunting, Fishing, Trapping and related conversations.

Old 09-16-2006, 07:37 AM

Default Salt block vs mineral block

I have a trail camera pointed at the corn feeder and the salt block is also in the picture. For awhile i had a brown mineral block out and then switched to a plain white salt block. With the brown mineral block the deer didnt' go near it. With the white salt, boy, now, they like that stuff! The pictures prove it and also, theres big indents where they stand and lick it. So, although the magazines and hunting articles tout using the mineral blocks to build their racks, it is a waste if they're not going to use it. Give em what they like best...plain old white salt.

Penny

Old 09-17-2006, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Salt block vs mineral block

We take the salt that we cure our pork in to our feed plots. Since I am disabled and can only shoot off the front porch I have a nice set up where I can shoot down the power line. I have turnip greens planted there and the salt was dumped at the end of the greens. We see deer there all the time licking up the plain salt.

We had to stop dumping the salt at the back of the property because the deer would dig down and get it out of the soil where it had leached down. They made a hole 3 foot deep where we dumped it one year. They do love plain old salt.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:42 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

What is funny, is that I put out a salt block a month ago, and none of the 13+ deer we feed will touch it.

jim
Old 09-19-2006, 12:55 AM

Jim, you must have picky deer. ;D That or they are getting their salt or minerals somewhere else.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:24 PM
HillbillyPapa

I have both of them out penny! I put out a block of Persimmon and a large salt block last year in the same spot, and the deer are using the area pretty much as of now. Even after the salt block was gone, the deer dug a hole where it was about a foot deep and a yard square- pawing the ground! Sooos, I figured I will do the same this year= cause I didn't get to hunt last year because of falling a week before season and breaking my leg (2)times! I saw a real nice 8 point last fall- I think in November which had been using the area and blocks,,,, but I was laid up to much to hunt at the time. Hope he is still around this year. Have seen quite a few turkeys in the woods this fall while scouting. It is a shame we don't have a fall turkey season in our county, and its a 3 hour drive in any direction to get into one which is open for either sex.
I saw about 5-6 deer on last 2 times I scouted the area. All does and fawns,,,, but no bucks as of yet,,,, well,,, maybe a button! Oh yeah,,, I forgot to tell y'all about my new 3-d deer target I just bought about a month ago. I really like practicing with it,, because it is life size and stuff. Maybe I can get sharpened up a little on my distance and stuff!
Old 09-22-2006, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly_mom
We take the salt that we cure our pork in to our feed plots. *Since I am disabled and can only shoot off the front porch I have a nice set up where I can shoot down the power line. *I have turnip greens planted there and the salt was dumped at the end of the greens. *We see deer there all the time licking up the plain salt.

We had to stop dumping the salt at the back of the property because the deer would dig down and get it out of the soil where it had leached down. *They made a hole 3 foot deep where we dumped it one year. *They do love plain old salt.
Speaking of plain ol salt, walmart has their water softner salt right next to the salt blocks, so maybe people use it for their deer? Good for you and your set up sounds great. I'd shoot off the back porch if it was possible. Power lines are great places to hunt. Good luck to you this year!

Penny

Old 09-22-2006, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim
What is funny, is that I put out a salt block a month ago, and none of the 13+ deer we feed will touch it.

jim
That is strange. Its like i put apples out and they're supposed to be deer's favorite food, but they won't touch them either. Just keep watch for prints and see if it is wet on top, maybe they're hitting it in the nighttime.

Penny
Old 09-22-2006, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyPapa
I have both of them out penny! * * I put out a block of Persimmon and a large salt block last year in the same spot, and the deer are using the area pretty much as of now. * Even after the salt block was gone, the deer dug a hole where it was about a foot deep and a yard square- pawing the ground! * * * * Sooos, I figured I will do the same this year= cause I didn't get to hunt last year because of falling a week before season and breaking my leg (2)times! * * I saw a real nice 8 point last fall- I think in November which had been using the area and blocks,,,, but I was laid up to much to hunt at the time. * * * Hope he is still around this year. * *Have seen quite a few turkeys in the woods this fall while scouting. * It is a shame we don't have a fall turkey season in our county, and its a 3 hour drive in any direction to get into one which is open for either sex. *
*I saw about 5-6 deer on last 2 times I scouted the area. * *All does and fawns,,,, but no bucks as of yet,,,, well,,, maybe a button! * *Oh yeah,,, I forgot to tell y'all about my new 3-d deer target I just bought about a month ago. * I really like practicing with it,, because it is life size and stuff. * Maybe I can get sharpened up a little on my distance and stuff!
Sorry ya had to miss out last year, HBPaPa. Mabe this will be your year for the 8 point or it may be a 10 this year.

Haven't been seeing many turkeys here. We don't have a fall season either.

Sounds like you have a pretty good herd in your area. This cooler weather sure gets them out more. Well, have fun with your new target HB, and good luck to everyone this year!

Penny
Old 09-23-2006, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny_Plinker
That is strange. Its like i put apples out and they're supposed to be deer's favorite food, but they won't touch them either. Just keep watch for prints and see if it is wet on top, maybe they're hitting it in the nighttime.

Penny

I can attest to deer loving apples. Back in my able to walk through the woods years I was sitting on the ground eating an apple. Just taking small bites every now and then, keeping an eye out for deer in front of me. I readjusted my leg and right over my shoulder I spooked a doe. Scared the dickens right out of me. She was close enough to look right over my shoulder. Of course I was so shocked that I missed her, but it amazed me that one came that close while I was sitting on the ground. I wasn't in a blind, but leaning against a small tree that was about 4 inches around. And here DH tells me that deer can see that hunter orange. That deer didn't care. All she wanted was my apple.

BTW, they also love peanut butter. One year we bought some cheap jars of peanut butter. We cut the bottom of the plastic jars and screwed the lids into the trees. Then we screwed the lids back onto the lids. I sat and watched a doe lick at the jar of peanut butter. She was just a tiny thing and I didn't want to kill her, but it was so neat to see how far her tongue would come out to get to the bottom (top) of the jar.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:28 PM

well the only thing I will use is white salt blocks, I have tried brown and no it dont work, only the white works, because the minerals are differnt,
Old 11-19-2006, 08:53 PM

I have always used plain ol white salt blocks not sure why but never tried the brown ones!