Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance

Self-reliance Self-reliance topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 11-06-2005, 11:00 PM
Inactive Member

Default Homestead Income Options...8 ways to make $1000...

I started a thread with the same title about the same time last year that ran for at least 6 months...I know it was brought back to the top of the General Board in April or May of this year, but it seems it has fallen off the end of the archive...I saved a synopsis to CD before I left Florida, and hope this can be a lively topic again as someone expressed an interest in reading the thread...so please post your ideas...

The original idea of the thread was that by employing several ideas that allow one to make $1000 per year you could generate a good side income on the homestead...

Here is the synopsis I saved:

Livestock/Animals
-rabbits as pets, for meat, for furs, for worm food, for fertizlizer/compost.
-raise chickens for meat/eggs
-worms for composting, bait, fish farm food/catfish barrel
-goats for milk, soap, ethnic meat market
-pigs for pig roast
-butterflies for weddings, special events, crafts
-exotics, careful of ponzi schemes...
-bees for honey, wax, pollination service, alternative health, bee hive removal service
-get into ethnic meat sales by donating meat to churches and organizations as advertising.

Wood
-crafts
-firewood
-lumber (sawmill)

Organic Produce Stand/gardening
-sell only high end produce, unless you are marketing something unusual or hard to find you will be competing with corporate farmers who will outprice you and your return will be very small.
-pumpkins
-gourds/luffas for the crafters market
-fruits
-herbs, fresh or dried
-mushrooms
-grow nursery plants, bushes, shrubs, vines, trees, etc
-flowers for edible flower salads
-Xmas tree farm
-ornamental shrubs
-potted plants
-trees (fruit, nut, woodlot, etc)
-flowers
-aquatic/pond plants/flowers

Handy Man Services
-Trash hauling
-Computer Service/Support
-Yard work
-Rototilling/tractor work
-Painting
-Snow removal/plowing
-Window washing
-Gutter cleaning
-Dowsing/wells
-cleaning basements/garages/attics
-gunsmithing/salvage
-build picnic tables, benches, mailboxes, adirondak chairs, gazebos
-fix up old cars and resell them

A hot dog stand

Gambling

Operate a Paintball Field

Housesitting/Caretaking for vacationing farmers/homesteaders

Writing
-Write articles for newspapers/magazines
-Publish your own books
-Publish a quarterly newsletter with articles about what is going on on your homestead and use it to advertise your products.

Sell gift baskets filled with food and crafts all produced on your homestead.

So what can YOU do on your homestead that will earn you $1000 per year?

Keep in mind this is only a synopsis of the ideas presented in last year's thread...if you can expand on these ideas or offer more suggestions, please do so for the benefit of those that didn't read the thread last year...

heshrugged

Old 11-07-2005, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Homestead Income Options...8 ways to make $100

An idea not listed above is to host weddings or private parties. If you have a nice setting it can be a good money maker, but you need to know what the areas of liability are and minimize your risks or carry LOTS of insurance!

Which is true about any time your business involves having people on your property.

Jams and Jellies or other canned goods are another good way to make extra money.

My firend in Manitoba has given up on his hobby farm for the time being to pursue other things. But he did very well with both the fruit veggie stand and the upick stuff.

The other thing he did was rent out the cultivated land for wheat. He had 60 acres rented out for wheat and that made him I think about $1500 canadian a year, but I don't know for sure.

A stocked fishing pond can also be a good money maker. Both as a u catch em pond, and if you want to sell them fresh to local stores. Personally my plan is to make a lot more than $1000 a year from my aquaculture business.

Another one is raising and breeding pets or small animals.
I'm not advocating becoming a puppy mill, of course!
Old 11-07-2005, 12:28 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Being in betwen alot of fishing spots---son and I are going to open a bait stand.

Mostly fresh water bait.

We have ordered material on how to build a safe vat for the little critters.

Didnt we lose this thread in the big crash?
Glad you saved it Hesh!

annie
Old 11-07-2005, 11:32 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Here is something that I am just STARTING to look into!

Income tax deduction.

If I raise a LOT of veggies and donate them to the area food pantries, would I get a tax deduction? Less taxes paid is the same as more money in.

ANOTHER problem is that fresh food is not popular in food pantries, I only know of 2 that accept it and I do not know how much they can move for me. But, they might know of ANOTHER charity that would like veggies.

I would have to itemize, but I do. I do not know about the rest of it, I would have to ask the folks who do my taxes in January. THEN, I would have to speak to the food pantries.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:15 PM
gwynyvyr

Of all the old posts I have read through tonight, this one seems to be the best of them all...so many folks participated in the original, so many good ideas were generated...I think this one...or one of the same type should get *stickied* to the top of one of the boards...
Nothing political, obscene, religious, insulting, etc on this one!

I am sure if everyone thinks a bit, they can come up with a few more ideas for this thread!
Old 02-02-2006, 08:35 AM

For extra income I rent a field to a near by farmer and I rent out winter space for a boat and car in my barn. It has been a good arrangement and at this point it pays the tax's

-Swamp
Old 02-02-2006, 11:50 AM
gwynyvyr

There are folks in this area that raise exotics for fur and feathers...and not all of them have to be killed for the product!
One lady raises peacocks. I dunno what price you get for selling the feathers or how often they molt, but she seems pretty happy with her endeavor.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:39 PM
catinhat

I think reading through the original thread that was started on this topic was what got me thinking about 'Ten Things Farm'. That, and my inability to pick just one thing that I want to do! The things I'm working with now include:

*soapmaking
*jewelry and metalwork
*furniture finishing and re-finishing (new pieces, old pieces)
*quilting and sewing
*making stuffed baby toys - sock critters and such
*papercrafts - greeting cards and the like
*growing and selling pumpkins, ornamentals such as gourds and ornamental corn
*house/pet sitting (when the baby is older, and I can get out for a couple hours each morning without such a big production)
*other arts and crafts as they suit me, lol.

Thank you to all who have posted so many wonderful ideas. They are a real inspiration, and show that there are many, many ways to get this done!

-Catinhat
Old 02-02-2006, 05:14 PM
gwynyvyr

Hey cat...that was only NINE things! Keeping the last one a secret? 8)
Old 02-02-2006, 10:58 PM
catinhat

lol. honey. I have bees, sell honey.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Banned

Default Re: make $1000...

$1000 per day? week? month?

how about real work?

everything else is just wishy-washy make-believe hippi crap!

my fallers make on an average $ 500/day, the pilers $250/day.
you charter my fishing boat for salmon? $ 700/day (800 this year)

now I know not everybody can work as a faller or own a charter boat or be contractor or outfitter or own a (new) office building in the upscaled part of town.

however, there is lots of work out there that pays well.

sitting in front of your pc whining and belly aching, expecting an "attack"any second and "flying the flag" does not
-and will not- improve you situation.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:34 AM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynyvyr
Of all the old posts I have read through tonight, this one seems to be the best of them all...so many folks participated in the original, so many good ideas were generated...I think this one...or one of the same type should get *stickied* to the top of one of the boards...
Nothing political, obscene, religious, insulting, etc on this one!

I am sure if everyone thinks a bit, they can come up with a few more ideas for this thread!

well there goes that idea out the window gwenn
thanks frank (NOT!)
Old 02-03-2006, 01:48 AM
Lupine

Whatever. : It's yesterday's hippies that are spending the most on specialty items these days.

I like this thread, because there are a lot of people who want to build a self-sustaining life on their farm, minimizing full-time job obligations that restrict your ability to work on the stuff you really want to do. Which is kind of the point of this whole website and forum, really.

So many complementary farmstead or small biz projects can also open up complementary markets. Sure, Frank, I can also make $3000.00 per gig, with one or two gigs a week, off-site. (And no, I'm not a high-priced hooker ). I love what I do. But I'd rather make a bit less and do a variety of things.

So in five years, here's what I hope to have going:

A few select jobs in my current field

Operating a manageable number of hives, selling refined and unrefined wax, honey, nucs and splits. Maybe some value-added wax products. Removing swarms.

Direct sales of dimensional and rough-hewn lumber (very small scale)

Running a couple goat teams on other people's property, perhaps getting a few muni/state contracts. (will need to hire out).

Selling goat meat, skins (to hippie drummers), dairy, cheese, kefir, soap.

Selling pet/pack wethers, breeding stock.

Selling sheep fibers, lamb, breeding stock.

Extracting honey for small-scale hobbyists and producers, renting hives to nearby farms and gardeners.

Building custom woodenware and frames for beekeepers (maybe).

Raising mosquito-eating fish in rain barrels. They're gonna be there anyway and they breed like mad, might as well sell them.

Selling cattails, pussywillows and a few other specialty cut plants that. Bamboo, too. Huge demand for that.

Selling eggs, poultry, pullets (good market in Portland)

High-grade, small batch, boutique worm-poop fertilizer. I swear I could sell this stuff for a pretty penny with the right marketing.

Possibly selling specialty chicken feathers for fly-tyers. Or getting back to tying flies and selling them, but as incorporated into artsy fartsy stuff.

Writing.

Custom raised pork, and/or feeder pigs.

Chanterelles and Oregon truffles to a few cateters I know.

Meat rabbits for human or pet consumption.

Dyed rabbit pelts turned into cat beds. (Did I mention that two high-end dog boutiques opened in my neighborhood? They're giving Starbucks a run for their money.)

Blackberry jam, blackberries, blueberries, lingonberries.

Hazelnut butter.

Apple butter. Heirloom apples, pears, persimmons.

Goat milk/honey/beeswax beauty products.

And if I get good at my tractor, I can do some odd jobs with that. If any of the guys in the area will hire a lady. (I know Pre would, if he were here! 8) )

And yeah, if I ever got my dream boat--a fishing guide on the Columbia. Buoy 10! But that would just end up with me, my friends, beer and no fish.

What else. Oh, yeah, custom burn barrels and candle cans.

Tilework and custom mosaics.

Photo restoration, digital archiving for families and estates.

Bonded Hobby Farm Sitter (growing market for that around here).

Ideas not so suited for me:

Snow plowing (flat fee per season)

Ironing.

Sewing/Mending/Seamstress.

Meal Preparer. (Contract to prepare a week's worth of dinners for a family or busy couple/individual. Either cook at their house, or rent a commercial kitchen. I have a friend who got herself through college this way.)

Livestock AI technician

Small livestock consultant (for beginning hobby farmers/homesteaders)--good biz during freshening, disbudding, castrating, breeding, vaccination, etc. seasons, often cheaper than a vet and sometimes more help than a forum in case of an emergency.

Basic computer repair, training, networking.

Tutoring.

eBaying.

Estate sales (glorified yard sales) including cataloging, promoting and facilitating.

Snow chain service on passes (yay for tourists and overconfidence in SUVs!) I've been offered $50s for helping people chain up. All you need are Carhardts, a thermos of hot coffee, handwarmers, a multi-tool, sign, tarp and a warm car.

The trick is to find unique markets for what you do. I just learned that clubs that do Scottish things, like run around in kilts playing bagpipes while throwing rocks at each other, pay a premium for beewax for the reeds on their pipes.

And archers use beeswax for their strings.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:24 AM
catinhat

Geez, Frank, who is whining? *Besides you, I mean. When I do consulting work, I make enough in a day to charter your salmon boat for a few days....but I think I'll pass - you're just too cheerful.

Yep...Whatever. Back to the actual topic.

Marketing and creativity are crucial. *Also, supplementing whatever your 'main' item is. *The first year I sold honey, I had this cute stuffed bear, wearing a straw hat that had 'wedding veil' stuff hot glued around the brim, and a couple little bees hot-glued to the veil stuff - something I did so I'd have something on the table besides a bunch of jars of honey. *Lots of people really liked the bear...so the next year, I made a couple dozen, and sold them too! *When I sold rabbits, I also sold the feed blend. *I gave people the 'recipe' for the feed blend, but people who lived in apartments didn't want to buy rabbit pellets, 4-way, calf manna, oats, etc. and have all those bags sitting around - they just wanted to buy 5 pounds of the mix at a time. *(I made as much profit on the mix as I did on the rabbits, over the course of the year, and I was still selling it for less than the pet stores.)

Also wanted to say that 'Ten Things Farm' isn't necessarily the ten things I posted earlier, nor would it be the same ten things all the time....it's a work in progress. *Just like me.

Lupine, *I love your list, and like you, I'd rather make some $$ doing the things I love and want to try...I can always do a little consulting or write an article when we need some cash. *Still, you rock, girl! Can I be your bestfriend/sister/cousin/neighbor? * *

-Cat

Old 02-03-2006, 10:13 AM
Inactive Member

I have a small machine shop in my home and rebuild / restore antique gas engines and garden tractors as a hobby and a little side money.
There are also "model" engines that can be built the kits are less than $500 and sell for as high as $3,000 when completed. It would be easy to sell 2 or 3 a year at local farm or engine shows.

Here's an example
http://www.redwingmotor.com/

cid300
Old 02-03-2006, 10:50 AM

Cid, that is cool.

I just met a guy that goes to wrecking sites and talks to the Manager to get permission to take old bricks on the weekends. He puts them in his old truck goes home, cleans them up and sells them for restoration and garden projects. He does this in his spare time and seems to have gotten pretty good at selecting brick that don't need a whole lot of cleaning up and that saves time and means more money.

He told me he keeps raising his prices to slow things down since he can't keep up with demand, but the demand is going up since people love the old brick.

Something to think about if your in the right area.

-swampcedars
Old 02-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
everything else is just wishy-washy make-believe hippi crap!
Quote:
sitting in front of your pc whining and belly aching, expecting an "attack"any second and "flying the flag" does not
-and will not- improve you situation.
"Driveby Frank" strikes again!

Frank does the term "enema" ring a bell? Why don't you apply it to that big mouth of yers..........
Old 02-03-2006, 02:20 PM

A neat craft we saw at a craft show in the mountains was birdhouse gourds fixed to be bread warmers / servers. They were left natural on the inside (not painted or coated in any way) and on the outside they were painted with flowers and designs of all kinds. The gourd was cut (a little less than halfway down which formed the lid of the bread warmer / server). The bread, rolls or biscuits are put inside the gourd, it is then put in the microwave long enough to heat the bread, then the bread can be taken directly to the table in the gourd where it is supposed to stay warm for a while.

Also, rock candles. Someone had taken flat rocks, coated them with clear acrylic and glued a small clear glass container filled with oil on the bottom of the rock, drilled a hole in the rock at the thinnest point of the rock where the wick would stick out the top where it could be lit and look like the rock was a candle. (The messiest looking thing about this was the bottom of the rock. They had used a thick, yellowish glue to stick the clear glass container on with. In fact, the clear glass did not fit in with the rock at all. A small copper or other metal container would have looked a lot better and would not have been as heavy as the glass. I think they had to use gorilla glue or something to hold the glass thing on. The rocks were also not decorated on top with anything, and I think they could have looked really neat if they had been tastefully and simply decorated with some sort of natural looking plant materials that were durable.

My husband had the idea to drill holes in geods, fill them with oil and put a wick in them and sell them as rock candles. Only thing is, it is rare to find a completely hollow geod, in fact, many of them are almost solid all the way through. He had the heaviest duty drill bits, but those solid geods were impossible to drill - plus there was not a hollow inside to pour the oil into on most of them - and he ordered all sorts of different varieties. :-/

Here's another idea. People are always looking for cemetery floral arrangements. I know young people don't think about this much and it may seem at first as sort of a downer type of craft; but as you get older and lose a lot of family, cemetery decoration becomes about all one has left that they can do for the loved ones that have gone on. A lot of gravestones now have those stone vases on them, so smaller arrangements that are long enough and will stay put and are sturdy enough to hold up for a few months are what people are looking for. (Some of the cheap silk flowers' petals blow off with the first strong gust of wind, so if there was some way to acrylic dip and solidify some dried flowers where they would last, that would be something pretty, durable and different from the run of the mill).
Old 02-03-2006, 03:19 PM
gwynyvyr

I have seen those rock candles at a lot of art festivals/street fairs...gives me another idea for my shop!

And Frank, you poor thing, whatever in the world happened to you to make you you such a sad little man? Bless your heart, I hope you are feeling better soon.

And I am sure everyone here joins me in wishing you well and hoping for a speedy recovery from the forthcoming surgery I am sure you have planned...to get that big ol' stick out of your butt!
Old 02-03-2006, 09:40 PM
coydog

Game bird and gun dog training farm would be my choice if the insurance was ever affordable. When your own kids are little, an at home daycare is feasible, but then I doubt you'd have time to implement any of the other good ideas Burls & one of a kind tree art from staircases to lawn sculptures sell well. I find the higher end products (value added) make me more money in the long run.