BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear

Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear If it will help keep you going when TSHTF, talk about it here.

Old 05-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Re: How long till the SHTF?

I'd not worry about the food issues. one major factor is that they pay us more for organic, it's a joke. we make less and charge you more? What?? also, you do have the CREEp program that ensures the land will stay open and tax free to farmers, so that it can be had for agg and not developed. One farmer will feed 100 people this year. plant a garden and keep up what your doing, but farming is not the worry.

buy the way, when Adelphia went out...they replaced the jobs with millitary contractors. Nothing like working in Potter county and seeing a few Wart Hog-war plains training... ;D
Old 05-26-2008, 03:13 PM

Hopefully not too much longer. Seriously though, this is TEOTWAWKI. Most everyone here talks about the good ole' days. Those days are gone and the world as we knew it is gone.

As to what happens next, consider the following.

1. On the morning and nightly talking heads they are already referring to themselves as "Elite".

2. China is not as big a problem as everyone thinks they are. What happens when no one can afford or want to buy their junk? Chaos....

3. Our current dilemma reminds me of the story Light's Out. In the beginning a rich middle eastern sheik wants to harm the US and because of his extreme wealth he doesn't care what happens to his own country just revenge on the US. What countries in the world hate the US and what is their greatest asset? Is the US under attack even as we speak?

4. In the last several years we have seen our presidents decisions as being terribly wrong, I now look at his words as being the opposite of what we should do. The politicians that are running our country are only in it for themselves and to hell with the little guy.

5. As to when there will be rioting in the streets, I don't see that happening. As pointed out most people are too lazy to do anything like that. This most recent round of economic stimulus packages should tell you something. Think PAX Romana, bread and circuses. Just remember when the trucks are shoveling out MRE's and emergency food in your neighborhood remember to dress appropriately and stay in line.

One final word, I may not have the same beliefs as those FLDS people in Texas but it does go to show you how much power good ole' Uncle Sam has. Don't tell anyone of your preps unless you absolutely trust them, plan to hide in plain site, draw no attention to yourselves and be ready to employ the three S's.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:59 PM

When people say "a country hates us" I wonder what the talking heads mean? For example, it would be like saying that Pennsylvania hates gun control. Or that Americans Love baseball.

How many states were hit by Katrina? How many were in the news? see the difference?

Do the talking heads say what they say because bad news sells??
Old 05-26-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walls0stone
When people say "a country hates us" I wonder what the talking heads mean? *For example, it would be like saying that Pennsylvania hates gun control. *Or that Americans Love baseball. *

How many states were hit by Katrina? *How many were in the news? see the difference?

Do the talking heads say what they say because bad news sells??
I think Don Henley's song Dirty Laundry says it all about the talkin' heads!
"The song is about the callousness (and callowness) of TV news reporting as well as the tabloidization of all media news. Henley sings from the standpoint of a news anchorman who "could have been an actor, but I wound up here", and thus is not a real journalist. The song's theme is that TV news coverage focuses too much on negative and sensationalist news; in particular, deaths, disasters, and scandals, with little regard to the consequences or for what is important ("We all know that crap is king&quot."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_Laundry

How about alittle trivia?
What album was this song on?
What year was it released?
On the single what was the flip side of Dirty Laundry?

I used this song on one of my 65 signs back in 2005 while I was remonstrating for 22 days on the Monroe County courthous square. I also used Liar by Three Dog Night, Liar, Liar by the Castaways and several other oldies -- I called it dissin' to the oldies! ;D

Old 05-26-2008, 11:01 PM

I think too many people fantisize about a collapse that will not happen, thay want an end to the way america is, And it would be justice to see all the lowlifes in high places starving and in dissmay without their lifestyles that thay pay for with our money. To us a collapse of order means freedom from the american dictatorship.
Things will get bad, BUT the gov will step in and provide a system that people will accept so they can get back in front of their TV's. I think that when people stop giving (in the form of buying)to a imuture brat like china, it will take what it wants. like the welfar people. No it wont get better, this country will become more of a police state, And the gov will have us all taged and numbered .And i think that the only thing that will stop it is a world wide splash That will leave EVERYTHING in ruins, When will the SHTF ? Something hasto happen, one way or another, A BuracRAT cant live forever.
But i think it is going to be latter rather than sooner.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:14 AM

At this point I think total downfall more of a dream for a group of people. I also agree that many will get free-bees becouse they are to lazy to get a real job after 12 years at Mo-Mo-U amda PHD inunderwater baskeet weaving, oh and no real job.

But total fall out is unrealistic. If anything, folks from other countries will come here, buy land and companies and our kids will be working for them.

I also think that tons of people want to cry wolf so people will buy their snake oil or book. If a person wanted to make a diffrance, get behind a man and help him get into office. They can't all be scum-suckers
Old 05-28-2008, 10:29 PM
wy0mn

I can imagine many situations where our worst nightmares could become a reality, the primary cause would be petroleum or the lack of it.
There was a tread a while back where a lady brought up a serious point. With the rise in transportation fuel she really didn't know how long she'd be able to afford to work! The economic stimulus refund was cool, but there was a simpler solution for boosting the economy. Raise the minimum wage. Trust me, give the working poor money and it would have hit the economy. A Ramen noodle diet gets old quick. As it is, the stimulus went toward paying credit debt, into savings, or spent at the pump, for the majority very little went straight into purchase.
There are many smaller trucking fleets & independents who are claiming bankruptcy daily. Goods aren't getting delivered, and when they are, its at an inflated rate so prices of goods are adjusted accordingly. When the poor get desperate they can become desperados, rigs & loads are stolen daily. How long will it be before they are simply hijacked by armed gangs?
If you pull up a global political map of as little as 100 years ago you'll see that countries come and countries go. Violence is in our blood. This wasn't just stale history we were forced to learn for a passing grade. These were people with lives, relatives and dreams for the future. The Holocaust and Apartheid were real. Kenya recently had violence over an election that was no more phony than our last two.
What I can't see is an invasion of foreign buyers for the few things that are still made in America. With increased production cost, due to the inflated petro-dollar, and American resistance to wage slavery, its just not likely to occur. A social collapse with an instituted caste system could make it possible, but thats less likely than revolt or military invasion, both of which would qualify as SHTF moments in time.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:06 PM

but do they pay that stuff off?? NO.
They go to the bar, they get extra crap they don't need. *

They did bring up the min wage...I no longer hire help. *
reduce taxes on business owners and I can hire help.

That is the trouble with*imported products from over seas? *If you don't pay a bribe to the boss at the docks your products may be stolen or broken by carless deck hands. *Did you know that if you hold up a liquer store tonight, you'd make at least one paper...Pirets go unreported. *

trucks are hijacked by unarmed gangs constantly...why? Money, the driver tells somone about a great load of stuff...he gets "hijacked" and a cut of the cut of the fenced goods...and who foots the bill? *the consumer...ever been told that "it fell off a truck"
Old 06-06-2008, 12:44 AM

It is my belief that we are starting to see the begining of the "S" stuff hitting the fan now. The bulk of it has yet to hit full force. I'd say, between now and 2 or 3 years we aught to see a full force 5 poo storm.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:17 AM

How long? We're stocking for about 12 years min (see MyBackAchers.com). We bought an ElecTrac and are in process of outfitting it with mini-implements".

The 2012 Dec date is the goal to be ready. We bought an electric tractor and are learning what we can. I also raise crayfish when able to but the backbone of the "homestead is chickens, rabbits and goats. Maybe a few hogs.

We saw the NetFlix movie - "A Crude Awakening" when it came out last summer and have watched things start to unfold. The Mayan prophecies are in the back of the mind and astro charts say there are several interesting "events" going on until 2025. Economic problems, pandemics, over population, energy shortages (which haven't even started . . .which I'll talk about later), the flip side of Global Warming - Global cooling AND the poles are shifting . . like that's not enough to deal with!

We had to buy the land to control our raw product prices to supply our website anyway but it gives us the opportunity to be more independent in general. The we read where Central American countries had peaked oil production and are "scheduled" to stop importing by 2011 - that's when the shortages will be apparent.

The Global cooling thing - Has anyone else watched "Strange Days on Planet Earth"? The theme is - we're all connected but they showed how over fishing off the coast of Africa are casing plums of sulfur to smolder from the ocean. Wasn't it sulfur that aused the Dark Ages cooling (along with food shortages, crop failures and the spreading of the Black Plague?).

Anyway - glad to see a group of like-minded people and am hoping to learn lot over the next years!
Old 06-06-2008, 02:56 AM

IT"S THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT, AND I FEEL FINE. *A lot of "S" has happened to me in my life, And the one thing to rember while all the 'bad'(so-called) *things happen in this world, is that GOD is 'almighty' AND 'all in control'. *I am only going to live untill i die, And then i'll live forever. And none of the things that happened here will matter. America is a wicked nation, And GOD will punish it as usual, *The social terrorist i mentioned before, (feminazies, lawers ECT.) will get their reward for what thay have done, Let the chinese invade and do whatever thay want to them.
Why would i try to stop them? *My point in this yarn was some of us want a SHTF incident to set us free from a system run by criminals in high places, BUT that the only thing that will cause this is a world wide sneeze, Mabey the planets all being in line and our solar system droping to the bottom of the galaxie will do it, at 11:11 o'clock 2012, The volcaion in jackson going off and covering several states? Sounds good to me. Think of all the people problems that would solve.
No buranazies telling me to pay taxes, to comb my hair, to STOP playing with guns, No state sponsored terrorist
Abusing me. No nosie neighbors trying to control and dominate my life, Yes i know i sound bitter, I'v herd it before, Because its true. Them destroying themselves by their own greed and stupidity is my revenge, And i dont hafto do anything except prepair myself.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:06 AM
Banned

Well , mate. Just lay it out plain already!
Old 06-06-2008, 02:42 PM
msta999

Heres an idea, lets just find a way to get the majority of the people to ban together and vote the bastards out! All of them at once......Na! it would never work. People can't get past their political views.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:18 PM

you are right, it would not work,
we are blowing a great opportunity right now, but Ron Paul only got 34 votes in my County.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:36 AM

You can not vote them out. 'Them' meaning the people that are destroying this nation. *You can not blame the problems of this country on a few hundred politicals. *This society has become cloged up with losers. *The average citizen Has become a social sicko.
A few days ago the oil field service shop that my dad works at was broken into, the thief tore open the pop macine and stold all the paper dollars, *The emploies arrived, and someone rembered that one time the macine didnt give them anything for thier money, so thay took several, then several more for interest, thay all cused whoever had broken in and stold the money, BUT thay ALL stold bottles of pop. grown men stealing pop. *Ron paul wont change the way americans are, And so the country wont change. *
The S has already hit the fan, It happened a long time ago.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:02 PM
JAK

I think now is as good a time as any to be self reliant.

Sustainability - It's the new plastic.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK
I think now is as good a time as any to be self reliant.
I agree with that! I don't know what will happen in the future. I don't know what will happen tomorrow. I'm not gifted with an ability to foretell the future. Who knows, truly, what will happen next?

I know that my parents have lived through great change during their lives. My grandparents did also. I've lived through some tumultuous times. I'm sure I'll live through more tumultuous times if I am blessed to live long enough.

Meanwhile, I try to enjoy life. I try to live as self-sufficiently and sustainably as possible today. All I know is that I love living as self-reliantly as possible. It is my way of life. It is the only way I have ever wanted to live, as a homesteader.

Read my blog:
http://alaskaboundhomesteader.blogspot.com/
Old 06-20-2008, 11:55 PM

I hope I am wrong but I think it will be sooner than later I have had an urge since about 1990 to get prepared. I believe that the Y2K thing was just practice. I agree that God is in control however He will only be in control if we listen and follow His directions. Our country has become insane. Remember the bible says " A man who WILL not work shall not eat! Now what is our country trying to do but feed all those people on welfare who will NOT work. I'm not speaking of those who cannot work so please don't even go there.

I believe God sent me and my family to where we are so we can become self suffcient. Now if I could only get a garden to grow from rock.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:36 AM

start building walls
Old 06-21-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walls0stone
start building walls
10ft tall with a bamboo hedge behind them?