BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Self-reliance > Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear

Preparedness/Survival Skills/BOBs/Kits/Gear If it will help keep you going when TSHTF, talk about it here.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:05 PM

Default Re: How long till the SHTF?

I have mixed feelings about this. I agree that, to a certain degree it has already started. However I think it also depends more on peoples responses than it does on any particular event.
Yes - the global economy is beyond shaky right now but most people still seem to believe that we can take care of each other and work our way through this. The problem will come when more people need help than are offering it. I think we're really pushing the bounds of that right now. The bottom line is that American's can't continue to be self centered parasitic consumerists. Those of us who have realized that things need to change will be ahead of the game. I'm talking here about the need to keep up with the Joneses type of consumerism - just consuming because stuff is available.
Basically when SHTF there will be two groups - those who are prepared and those who aren't. Those who aren't prepared won't even know where to go or what to do. They will be blindsided by it. In their shock and confusions they will start (and have already started) by blaming the wealthy and focusing their frustration on the rich and powerful. They will turn to the same avenues Americans have for a hundred years - the government and charities. Once they realize these institutions can't help them they will run to the churches and local communities. Only after that has happened do I feel that we will be in real danger. I may be 100% wrong. I'm still pretty new to this whole preparedness culture and mindset. My biggest concern, as a relative newcomer, is that we won't be fully prepared/transitioned when the time comes and we will find ourselves at least partially on the "unprepared" list (ohh - I feel a new thread coming on...).
Old 03-24-2009, 06:13 PM

Which is why the 'unprepared' (and perhaps us too) are probably going to be loaded on to prepared buses and taken to internment/confinement camps which have recently been officially turned over to FEMA and Homeland Security. This has been going on all over the world for several years now, preparing, as if the governments know exactly when and what is ahead.

Personally I hope I can avoid them like the plague.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

As to the validity of this, I do not know, but I think it bares the read. Be sure to read the 9th paragraph.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/forum/y...num=1237779412
Old 03-24-2009, 09:44 PM

Yup Racer RIck. But I don't really see a whole lot of resistance. Sorry, but I don't. I know and have met many peope who are screaming bloody murder about their guns, their rights, their property, their children - but when faced with a choice of living under the thumb of a dictatorial governement or death, most people will make the 'rational' decision. These very people will be the ones to turn traitor to their neighbors and friends, even family, to get a little extra on their own plates. They will see THAT as 'survivalism'.

Sorry, but there are so many folks whom I just LOOK at and think quietly, "Squealer" - because they rant and rave and protest in their meetings, on the 'Net, and bar junkets, yet live in a comfortable home with a spouse (who does NOT participate or believe in what the protestor is saying in public), those who rarely have guns or go hunting or have a BOB or have made ANY plans whatsoever to 'prepare'. They are the loudest ones of all, though. If they are not 'plants' from the FedGov, they are Quislings, Benedict Arnolds, looking for the fame of being in the protest leadership so that they can hang the whole group. Because of their presence, as well as the presence of armed SWAT teams and BATF bruisers, and the media behind them talking about "This terrible home-grown terrorist/cult/militia, from whom our loyal Feds are SAVING us" - a LOT of people faced with this will NOT protest, will NOT make changes, will NOT make demands nor even pleas. They will count themselves lucky if they can survive to eke out a meager living and get a handful of food a week, as proscribed by their loving and protective government. Because the alternative IS death... and so they will be told.

I don't want it to happen. I hope it doesn't. But I am not so stupid to watch things unfold and insist to myself that I am misinterpreting what I am seeing. I WANT to sit here and grow my own food and raise whatever animals I want and live my life unmolested. But I just don't foresee that. And the latest ranting, self-representing saviours coming forth won't be martyrs - but they will make martyrs of their followers.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:13 PM

Wiley C, we are in total agreement. I too, expect this, exactly as you describe. There is a very truthful vid on this exact thing, but it has foul language, and I do not agree with the title selection, and for that reason, cannot recommend it on this board. When someone seeks answers, I cannot resist trying to help.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:49 AM

i rember seeing a video about the gun confincation in the aftermath of katrina, preachers and pastors wore telling their flocks (of sheeples) to turn in their guns to the blackwater agents.
a preacher was being interviewed about it, he had his head tilted back and said through a sick smile " I told them lets get this crisis over with, THEN deal with our issues "

i wish someone would have asked him how turning in guns was going to stop the crisis ?

an absence of guns would not cause the flood waters to resed.

its about people control, and people who like to control and dominate other peoples lives are the most horrible type of people there is.
im wanting others to stand for what i believe in also, because i dont want to be alone, but i will be.
most of the people who have posted here will be.

people dont want to be free, throuout the centries people have demanded that they be owned and controled by some elite group to promise them security.

so TSHTF already, what are we going to do ? we are in the middle of it. where do we go ? what do we do ?

Old 03-28-2009, 06:54 PM

tshtf will never happen unless a large comet or asteroid hits the planet, and that's the only way the government will lose control, they are simply to powerful, what difference does rifles make again bombs? if a swat team can't for some reason take you out (remember waco, they tried to storm the building but with enough rifle fire they were repelled temporary, but they simply waited them out, the end result will still be the same) and if they want to do it quick 1 cruise missile fired from 200 miles away would have ended the "threat" right then and there. in the long run the only thing a person can do is adapt to the situation the best they can. Thou, the the idea of working in some shit factory job for communist america doesn't sound appealing.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:26 PM

Yesterday a person was arrested for shoplifting, He was stealing food to feed his children.
he is portraid by the media as the victim.

The survivilist and writer Duncan long was once being interviewed by some reporter, the reporter wanted to make the story SINsational by maing it about a food hording gun nut who would kill any poor starving children who might wander onto his property during a crisis, 'Why do you store food ?' the reporter questioned, wanting to make it appear that the survivalist horded food to cause others to starve,

long replied 'I feel that it is immoral to live a lifestyle that will require you to steal from others to feed yourself and your family'

A lot of people are coming out west from michigan, their 'Self suficent economy' isnt working out for them, i went through CDL traning school with on of them, he moved his family out here looking for a job, he couldnt find one so he comes to cdl school to open himself up to a bigger job market.

He has a cdl now, and is still wailing about how No one will GIVE him a job, yet he has in fact been turning down jobs.

BECAUSE, they are only offering him $14 to $15 an hour. And he dosnt work for $14 an hour, NOR will he work 60-70 hours a week as they want.

He complains to the people at the workforce cdl school, " I moved my family out here to find work I dont work for $14 an hour I have a family to support I need some one to give me a job " (all things that he has actually said)

another would not get a cdl because he needed to pay the $40 fee for his DOT test, he drinks and smokes away that much in a week, but wont pay it to get a cdl because he wanted someone else to pay for it,
'give me the money I need to get my cdl I cant get my cdl without that money" he wined to everyone at the collage and workforce center.
then he announced to everyone -
"I guess i wont be getting a cdl and ill never have a job now because no one will pay for my test "

They gloat in their 'im helpless no one will help me' situation they have made for themselves.
like the shoplifter who tells the reporters " when it comes to me being in prison or my kids starving im going to be in prison, Thats the way it will be"

its emotional blackmail, and the media cant bleed enough for them, No one ever asks him ' and while you are heroicly living in prison,for only trying to feed your starving children, Who will be caring for your children ?

people can live like the grasshopper, then when winter comes they can steal from the ant AND be the victim, they get patted on the head, and told 'There there you poor thing' you hafto do what you hafto do.
The ant gets its hill bulldozed and is stomped to death.

How long has it been acceptable for people to have children that they cannot care for ? they cant feed or care for themselfs BUT they have kids, THEN are praised for surrering in poverty and made into heros for stealing,

While the people who are working to provide for themselfs and take care of their own are vilinized.

A survivalist in montana taught his kids from the cradle to plant and produce food, And to handle firearms.
"It's going to be us against everyone someday " he told them.

Against Everyone

kill a starvling or a gang of them, OR only run them off at gun point, and the authoritys will soon be there, kill one authority personal,and 300 will come to the funeral and the media will turn the whole nation against you.

When their food is gone and they are comming for what you have, and you need to decide what to do, TSHTF. thats
when its all going to go splat
Old 04-16-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwyo
the authoritys will soon be there, kill one authority personal,and 300 will come to the funeral and the media will turn the whole nation against you.

When their food is gone and they are comming for what you have, and you need to decide what to do, TSHTF. thats
when its all going to go splat
This will NOT HAPPEN if you follow the S.S.S. rule.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Be an ant....not a grasshopper!
Old 04-18-2009, 01:27 AM

Okay what is the S.S.S. rule?
Old 04-18-2009, 03:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwatson
Okay what is the S.S.S. rule?
I suspect it is the "Shoot, Shovel and Shut Up" rule. If you kill something that could get you in trouble, like an endangered rat, you dig a hole, bury it and don't tell anyone. Because once two people know something, it wont be a secret for much longer.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:36 AM

We have all heard the people who declair that they want to
'Die very quickly and very sudenly' in a nuclear war or other disaster.
"I wouldnt want to live through it" they say while smiling, "i would want to die right away, i dont want to prepair I would rather die instantly "

we have all heard this from people.
they want it to all end in a instant flash and they will not even know what hit them, But they have nothing to garrante their painless instant departure and in the comming caos they WILL NOT sit around chuckling to themselfs about how smart they are.
the system that supports their lifes will be destroyed, then they will start to suffer,
consider that along with how ignorant and mentaly warped they are already.
If nothing else, Consider How people are, think of the way that people are.
How long does it take to dig a hole big enough ?

How many holes can you dig ?
Old 04-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
they say while smiling, "i would want to die right away, i dont want to prepair I would rather die instantly"
Why would you want to live in some post apocalyptic world? If you want to live in a third world country there are plenty of places you could move to today to have that kind of fun. Poor sanitation, bad water and no police protection. Your preparedness money could go a lot farther in one of those third world countries.

So what's keeping you? Why wait for the end here when those same conditions exist already in places with better growing seasons and cheep margaritas?
Old 04-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Mxyzptlk
and no police protection.
There is no police protection. Even the Supreme court ruled that a law enforcement officer's duty did not involve keeping us safe. The case hasn't been all that long ago.

I can't remember the details but someone sued a police department for not prtoecting them when they were injured. It went all the way to the supreme court.

Therefore, we have no police protection. I take it upon myself to protect me and my property.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulNKS
There is no police protection. *Even the Supreme court ruled that a law enforcement officer's duty did not involve keeping us safe. *The case hasn't been all that long ago.
There is a world of difference between the US where the police are not legally liable for failing to protect you and what they have in the third world where police at best serve the wealthy and ignore the plight of the middle class and poor completely.

The point of my post was if one is romanticizing the "Post Apocalyptic World" and you demean those who wouldn't want to survive to live in one then why wait for it? The third world is out there ready and waiting. The dollar is still strong enough, one could buy quite a bit of the apocalypse in Zimbabwe for what you spend on a backpack here.

There are many of us who wouldn't want to survive a complete breakdown of civil order in this nation. I require a handful of medications just to be moderately comfortable. Without those meds I would be miserable. I'd rather be consumed in the fireball than have to scavenge in the ruins afterward.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:02 PM

The fireball wont consume very many, By %'s.
The biggest bomb ever built would only cover a squar mile with its blast, with about a few miles beyond that affected by the shock wave and radation.

the yeller rock volcano will do quite a number when it goes.

In lousiana people had no water and food stocks, And no skills, when TSHTF there, they didnt set down and say," well were going to die ! Yaaaa! we dont want to live anymore so we'll die now !"
many became desparat looters rapest and murders, They killed and stold (even some police officers did) they wore looking for food and water above all else, This was small scale in a small area.
But what would it be like there today if walmart and the red cross and the military had Not went there and cleaned up and restored order, Giving out food and water ?
What would that area be like today ?

Americans are very ignorant, skilless lazy selfish and mean.
they wont die instantly and painlessly the way they would like. thats only something they tell themselvs to justify NOT being prepaired and productive, its a way of ignoring responsibility for themselvs and their familys.

I dont want to scroung dumps, loot stores and murder to live from day to day in the comming colapse.
SO
Im learning skills, collecting tools and equipment, and building a place to grow crops.

Im also using forms like this one to meet like minded folks, to present my ideas and learn from others.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Americans are very ignorant, skilless lazy selfish and mean.
Seems very insulting. Why do you stay in a country filled with unskilled, lazy, selfish and mean people? Why not pack up and start surviving today in lovely Somalia. There is no burdonsome government, no taxation and no icky first world rules. Your post SHTF world is already there. SHTF many years ago for them. They are livin' the dream.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:03 PM

sethwyo- I don't normally respond to these kinds of remarks,
(Americans are very ignorant, skilless lazy selfish and mean)
Um what nationality are you?
Old 04-18-2009, 11:58 PM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logansackett
sethwyo- I don't normally respond to these kinds of remarks,
(Americans are very ignorant, skilless lazy selfish and mean)
Um what nationality are you?
I think if seth had expounded,.... I see the majority of the American populous in cities. Most people are skilless as far as they don't have any skills to survive a SHTF scenario. Also, they are lazy. The majority of them spend more time in front of a TV or computer (oops..... me?) than working and using or learning skills and don't want to do more. Most Americans are very selfish. They want their due. They want to be paid for doing little or no work. They want to have what others have without working for it. But, there are good people, too.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Most people are skilless as far as they don't have any skills to survive a SHTF scenario.
I was hanging out on another SHTF board a while back and they assured me that anyone with a college degree has shown an amazing amount of ability and would quickly learn what was necessary to survive in the rugged Post Apocalyptic World. They felt that people who didn't have college degrees were lazy useless people who didn't have the drive to achieve and would die in droves.

I'm still not sure which opinion is right.

Quote:
Also, they are lazy. *Most Americans are very selfish. *They want their due. They want to be paid for doing little or no work. *They want to have what others have without working for it.
You have described humanity. Not one nationality. Humans are greedy, lazy, selfish monkeys.