Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals > Livestock/Horses

Livestock/Horses Cows, sheep, pigs, goats, llamas, and other four-legged friends.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:03 AM

Default Cheapest Goat Fence?

I would like to know what is the cheapest way to contain a couple of meat goats. My plans are to use about 1 acre at a time of 10 to graze some goats. I want to clear the land of Beggar Lice and also make a little meat. Any suggestions on how I can contain them for the lowest price? Oh, also do they eat beggar lice? It is a legume and high in protien but I know they prefer shrubs. Please give any advice at all on goat raising for cheap. Thanks ???

Old 02-25-2008, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Cheapest Goat Fence?

Good morning,
I can give you some info on fencing. I have 15 meat goats at this time. I use 39 inch field fence that you can get at farm& fleet for about $100.00 for 330 feet.
I then line it inside with a string of electric wire about
12-15 inches off the ground. I was just using the field
fence but got a set of twins that one always had her head stuck in the fence and her sister would crawl out under the fence. One string if electric and they can smell it and don't touch the fence now. I was going to try a small area with just electric fence run at 4strands
this summer. But am selling all animals this year do to
a very bad allergy to hay this winter. Hope this helps
some. Take care

Becky
Old 02-07-2013, 10:09 PM

I'm planning on doing the same. 14 gauge field fence is $129 for 330" at the local Tractor Supply as of Feb. 2013.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

The cheaper way to go would be 4 strand electric and make it a hot one. Goats can be very stubborn when it comes to fencing.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:17 PM

4 strands may work, and may not. Goats are the most enterprising critters. A friend of ours has used 4 strands successfully, but it worked only on goats that were born on her place and had learned to respect the fence from babyhood. Others plowed right through it. Don't just use plain field fencing, goats are forever sticking their head through and can't get it back out.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:50 PM

The cheapest?
Cactus! http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...a=cactus+fence

Oh, you mean the cheapest WIRE fence.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CactusFence_tn.jpg (11.4 KB, 38 views)
Old 02-11-2013, 12:12 AM

Now I like the cactus fence but knowing goats they would find a way to eat them
Old 02-13-2013, 10:23 PM

http://www.premier1supplies.com/fenc...p?species_id=2&

My boss raises Boers and recommended this electric mesh fence they use, keeps the goats in and the coyotes out, though they also keep big dogs in with them. He swears by it. I bought a 160 ft roll and solar charger for about $440. havent used it yet but getting the goats in a few days.
Its moveable so you can change your pasture without moving all the metal panel fencing, and one purchase for all your areas.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:46 AM

I think you are using the wrong type of animal for what you want to accomplish. It sounds to me like you should have sheep which prefer to graze weeds over that of goats which like to graze brush. Even if you have a brush, sheep will graze that out of existence as well, and sheep are easier to contain then goats.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:34 PM

I think the cheapest is the electric. Build a small pen out of 8 cattle panels with the electric on the inside. That would be 30 by 30. If you have some fence use a corner of existing to help build this pen and use fewer panels. Panels can be moved around and used for other things or sold latter if you do not need them. I have found keeping several on hand to be very helpful.

The goats will learn quickly not to touch the electric fence . Once they have move them to a larger area that you have the fence set up. Teach them to come when called by calling then feeding them some grain or some other treat.

Should they still get out no chasing just call and walk to the tight pen to pen them up.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I think the cheapest is the electric. Build a small pen out of 8 cattle panels
8 cattle panels would cost more than 330 feet of field fencing around here.

The you still have the cost of a charger and electric fence wire
Old 02-18-2014, 12:37 AM

Look for lite weight cattle panels used at auction.

While you can take down and roll up a fence to sell or move it is not usually done. Cattle panels are often taken down, moved and sold.

Buy, use for a week then return them for a cash credit if you do not need them.
But you need some type of permanent fence behind the wire to train the livestock . After trained you no longer need the fence just the charged wire .
Old 02-18-2014, 02:30 PM

How many feet of fencing do you need? Cattle panels are not good for goats. There are goat panels and they cost twice as much. I think you are better off to just get a roll or two of goat fencing, it holds goats, they can not get stuck in it, and that is important. It is a pain in the kazoo to have a goat with her head through a hole and can't get it out, and she resists your help with all her might . Do it right is my advice. It will safe you irritation and cost in the long run.

I just reread your post, you say an acre, you do not want to fence an acre with cattle panel unless you are rich. Beggar lice are not leguminose. Unless you have different beggar lice. Goats eat just about anything, they like things with leaves and grass is about their third choice.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
How many feet of fencing do you need?
A square acre takes close to 830 feet. (208 X 4 = 832)
Other shapes will take more

I wouldn't trust less than 6 strands of electric, 4 ft high, by itself to keep goats in, and even then they might just jump over it
Old 03-06-2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowpoint View Post
I think you are using the wrong type of animal for what you want to accomplish. It sounds to me like you should have sheep which prefer to graze weeds over that of goats which like to graze brush. Even if you have a brush, sheep will graze that out of existence as well, and sheep are easier to contain then goats.
Plowpoint I have to agree with you i think you are spot on. I have raised a lot of goats and sheep & are sheep ever a pleasure compared to goats. Love them both but the sheep are easier to herd, fence train, mind the LGD etc. Goats spend every waking moment looking for calamity to wander into. When they get out its like herding cats. I have dairy goats & they seem more agreeable than the meat goats i have had but that is due to handling. Sometimes what can get in the fence is a bigger problem than what can get out. Coyotes bobcats etc depends on where you live. Had a big kitty kitty stole me blind & drove me mad before i got a good group of LGD's to put her on the run for easier pickens. that mesh fence someone else mentioned i have had that & it was a hot fence type. loved it because it was portable however the hub's who is a little less patient than me couldn't conjure up enough expletives to express how he felt about it then we had a lamb become entangles in it & because it shocked him he panicked & it was a horrible ordeal that left us feeling like we had not done the right thing in choosing it. we gave it to a neighbor who has 100+ goats & chickens & nary a one problem with it so guess you never know.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:45 PM

If you only have a couple of goats the cheapest thing is actually one of the PetSmart systems with the collars. They work really well with goats, and are much cheaper than running electric fences. And, if you are in the country, you really don't need a lot of fencing anyway. The goats are like dogs (or pigs and chickens). They will come back to sleep inside each night. They also stay around where they are fed. Mine always just slept on my front porch a lot until nightfall, then went into the goat shed to be shut in at night. Of course that won't work if you are on a busy highway or something, but deeper into rural areas it does. They know where they live and are fed. You just have to keep them friendly, and well-fed. They know where home is.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
If you only have a couple of goats the cheapest thing is actually one of the PetSmart systems with the collars.
That's pretty much just using them as bait for any predator that comes along
Fences aren't just for keeping your animals in
They are just as important for keeping animals OUT
Old 03-07-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
That's pretty much just using them as bait for any predator that comes along
Fences aren't just for keeping your animals in
They are just as important for keeping animals OUT
That's what the dogs are for though. I guess I should have mentioned that. Sorry. We had four dogs with the goats. (they slept on the porch a lot too)