BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 12-22-2007, 02:37 PM

Default Have you ever made soap?

How many of us have ever made soap. *Was it a craft that you enjoyed? Or is it in your tired it someone will always be selling it and I have other skills that I will use to pay for it column.LOL
Why do you feel this way?
Me, I like making soap, but tend to make it in spruts, for one thing I make it outside and it just gets to hot in Arkansas alot of times to make soap outside.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Re: Have you ever made soap?

I just started making soap this year. I really enjoy soap making; but I have found that you can soon build up quite a supply, even though the batches are small.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:14 PM

I've been making soap for years..I love it!
Old 03-12-2008, 09:57 AM

I can remember my grandmother making soap using lye...and suet! Does anyone know that process???
Old 03-12-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grams
someone will always be selling it and I have other skills that I will use to pay for it column.LOL

Never have tried it but I have flirted with the idea in the past. I will eventually get around to doing it but as of right now I differ to your original statement.. ;D

Someone mentioned amassing quite a supply, how does the price to make such a supply compare to what it would cost to buy it in the store? How does homemade soap compare to store bought soap? I'm kinda partial to DIAL..lol

lost

"It's a damn poor mind that can only spell a word one way." Andrew Jackson
Old 03-14-2008, 08:10 PM

I make all my soap, love the hobby and the product. I make lye soap, but out of all vegetable ingred., lye soap has a bad rap sometimes. If you use a "bar" of soap you have purchased, you are using lye soap. I also make my own laundry and dishwasher soap. It costs pennies a load and workes fine.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Inactive Member

I started making soap last year. I ordered food grade lye just in case I ever get around to doing traditional bagels. I also got the other kind of lye for the liquid soap.

For bar soap I weigh out whatever is neccessary and when I think I will have a little break, just make it. Liquid soap takes a lot longer so need more thought as to scheduling time.

The fact that I KNOW for sure what is in my end product, is the main reason I do it, plus can leave out all the un-natural smelly stuff.

I am convinced that the faux scents cause allergy problems.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:44 PM

I've made my own soap and other cleaners for years now.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:22 AM

Yesterday, with all of my studying for my final exam today finished, I decided to make up a batch of cold process soap. I got it in the mold and covered it with the intention of unmolding it this morning. Well this morning, the five pound block of soap would not release from the mold, so I popped it in my freezer for a few minutes. Then the phone rang, the dog was going crazy over something in the yard, etc. I rushed out of the house to get to the hospital to take my final exam and didn't realize that I had left the soap in the freezer until 6pm tonight when I opened the freezer to get some ice. The good news is that it released from the mold right away. I now have a five pound solidly frozen bar of soap! I'm going to let it defrost overnight and see if it will cut into bars tomorrow. If not , then I will grind it up and make liquid soap out of it.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:16 PM

Well I sliced it up this morning with no problems. Except for the snafu with the freezer, I much prefer the texture of the cold process soap bars to the hot process soap bars.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:21 PM

Nice save!

I'm new to this forum so perhaps you've already shared favorite recipes. I've made my own soap in the past, and loved it! But about two years ago I ordered about $60 worth of supplies online and the next day the company disappeared with my money. I haven't made soap since then.

Do you have a good RELIABLE source for your supplies?

Does anyone make shampoo? Have any shampoo recipes or advice for making it?
Old 05-07-2008, 02:32 PM

Here are my suppliers:
Sam's club: big bottles of olive oil, cheapest ones they have.
grocery store: coconut oil, cheapest brand they have.
Lowe's: sodium hydroxide from the plumbing dept.

You have to be careful with the Lowe's purchase. I buy a 2# bottle every time we're there, which is about once a week. It's by the plumbing supplies, not the household cleaners. The brand name is Roebic and it is crystal drain opener. it's a white bottle with a yellow, red and black label. The reason you have to be careful is because of the crystal meth manufacturing. If you buy a lot at one time, they get suspicious. Other than the essential oils, which I get a local coop to order for me, those are my suppliers. We used to have a lebanese store in town that would order me pomace olive oil in a drum, but they closed.

I make all of our cleaners, both personal and household. My shampoo recipe is nothing more than grinding up a bar of my olive oil soap, melting it with enough water to make shampoo and voila! That's also my liquid dish soap and laundry soap recipe. Good luck!
Old 05-29-2008, 07:59 AM

Yes, I make soap! I just recently learned how! I really enjoy making soap! I think it is a lot of fun to try new recipes and to see how different ingredients do different things to soap. For an example: I just learned that coconut oil make lots of bubbles, but it can make the soap a bit drying. Olive oil makes snooth silky bubbles and I beleive it is really moisturizing?

I love to see how each batch of soap turns out! I made Goat milk soap yesterday and the soap was a orange-brown color. I think it looks so pretty!

Belle
Old 05-29-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietH2O
Nice save!

I'm new to this forum so perhaps you've already shared favorite recipes. *I've made my own soap in the past, and loved it! *But about two years ago I ordered about $60 worth of supplies online and the next day the company disappeared with my money. *I haven't made soap since then. *

Do you have a good RELIABLE source for your supplies? *

Does anyone make shampoo? *Have any shampoo recipes or advice for making it?
Hi,
I have been trying differnt things to make homemade shampoo. I have tried egg white shampoo and many other things. The best thing I have found so far to use on my hair is a little bit of my lavender lye soap. I think it is working so far, but not for sure yet. I tried using this really moisturizing homemade soap that I made and it didn't rinse off of my hair.

If you do use soap on your hair, you should be very careful. You could get a build-up and have a gooey mess. I will not recommend using soap to anyone, until I first find out how it is working on myself.
Belle
Old 05-29-2008, 12:46 PM

I don't know where I got this recipe (it isn't mine), but this is the shampoo bar I've been using. Obviously, all soapmaking precautions should be followed as well as warnings for the oils.

19oz of Mid-Grade Olive Oil (Don't use Virgin or Pomace, it changes the soap)
12oz Coconut Oil
12oz Caster Oil

6oz Lye
16oz Distilled Water (you can use infused water here as well, such as Rose Water)

1/2oz Rosemary Oil
Old 06-17-2008, 02:52 AM

Default soap is dry

i just made a batch of soap and as i sliced it into bars it cracked, was my water or lye measurment off to cause this to happen?? any one know of a hotline that you can call and talk to a real person if you have trouble or question when making soap??
Old 06-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Inactive Member

Default Re: soap is dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sher
i just made a batch of soap and as i sliced it into bars it cracked, was my water or lye measurment off to cause this to happen?? any one know of a hotline that you can call and talk to a real person if you have trouble or question when making soap??

this site http://www.millersoap.com/ has a good FAQ and Troubleshooting section. i'm too new at soaping to guess what went wrong, so i hope you find some answers there
Old 06-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Homemade soap is not like what Grandma used to make. *Today's soap is full of rich oils and emmoilients. *There are several good lye calculators on the internet that one can use. *SoapCalc 9 is the one I use most. *I always run the ingredients and amounts through SoapCalc before making using a new recipe. *A lye calculator will give you the amounts of liquid and lye to use in a batch of soap. *
Brittle soap can be the results of using too much lye. *Here is a trouble shooting website.

http://www.colebrothers.com/soap/trouble.html

You can rebatch your soap and add more oils. *
Old 06-17-2008, 12:56 PM

Default Re: soap is dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sher
Can you post the recipe you used? Also, can you describe the soap itself- was it dry and crumbly, did it have spots in it, etc?
Old 06-18-2008, 03:10 AM

i checked back with my recipe and i used about 2 oun ces more lye than i should have- as i cut the soap it cracked where my knife was cutting- it is still though in bars- i just wondered if this would hurt using the soap, would it make it to harsh to use- i do not want to chance usig it if it would bother anyones skin