BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser


Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-12-2009, 01:55 AM
Paddy's Avatar
Paddy Male Paddy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 117
Default Rocky Top, you'll always be, home sweet home to me

Hello everyone. I was recently given permission to join this forum, and am very pleased to be here.

I have been reading the forum for a long time. Due to plans coming together for putting its lessons into practice (finally), I thought it prudent to join the folk here sitting on the front porch and enjoying the cicada songs.

I was raised in southern Appalachia (East Tennessee valley) and was lured to Ohio by a high-paying job and university education. I am currently researching property in southern Appalachia for a long-awaited return.

During the past half-decade, I have sought to build on what I learnt as a child so that I may design and build a self-sufficient home and property back in the mountains where I belong. That is where I am at now- getting better with the necessary skills and saving money for the land and materials to build. I am a person of simple needs and wants, so it is easy to save money here for the long-term goals.

I have gained much from this forum, and from Backwoods Home publications, for many years. I hope to be able to help others here, and to continue learning.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-12-2009, 06:02 AM
kiwirach Female kiwirach is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 61
Default

Welcome Paddy...fantastic dream and goal you have....i hope you share how it goes with us here. I love following people as they are living their dream....the same one i have.
I'm a newbie here as well and have soaked up loads of information so far....so much so i need to make a folder on the pc for all the stuff i've learnt!!.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-12-2009, 03:03 PM
firefightermom Female firefightermom is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Central Missouri
Posts: 68
Default

Welcome Paddy,
I am a "newbe" also. I read with intrest about you going back to the Appalachian Mts. and wanting to build a house, being more self sufficient. May I recomend a book (actually MANY books). The series is called Foxfire. The whole series is done by a bunch of high school "kids" that did all of this for a project which turned into an amazing journey and they all are from the Applacaina Mts. The whole project is done with the mountain folks.Bakwoods home mag. also sells these books. Totally learning everything you need about going back home, doing things like our parents/grandparents did. Full of important, usefull information.Just a suggestion. Check out the books at your public library. That's how I got hooked on them.
Again welcome...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-12-2009, 03:09 PM
CastIronCook2's Avatar
CastIronCook2 Female CastIronCook2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 490
Default

What an inspiration! Welcome, Paddy. Glad you decided to step forward from the shadows and take your rightful place here on the porch swing.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-12-2009, 09:08 PM
cinelu cinelu is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: tn
Posts: 65
Smile

Welcome, Paddy, from a fellow East Tennesseean. If you don't mind, where are you considering purchasing property, how much are you looking for, etc. If I know what you're looking for, and I see something that might fit, I'll send you the info. Best of luck to you in achieving your dreams.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-13-2009, 01:46 AM
Paddy's Avatar
Paddy Male Paddy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwirach View Post
Welcome Paddy...fantastic dream and goal you have....i hope you share how it goes with us here. I love following people as they are living their dream....the same one i have.
I'm a newbie here as well and have soaked up loads of information so far....so much so i need to make a folder on the pc for all the stuff i've learnt!!.
Kiwirach,

Thank you. Yes, I definitely plan to record the progress from beginning to completion once I make the first step and pay cash for the parcel of land. From there, life gets much better.

I understand what you say. I had to begin organising the bits of info into a sort of notes system in multiple folders on a USB drive some time ago. Easy to search later when a fellow needs answers.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-13-2009, 01:51 AM
Paddy's Avatar
Paddy Male Paddy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermom View Post
Welcome Paddy,
I am a "newbe" also. I read with intrest about you going back to the Appalachian Mts. and wanting to build a house, being more self sufficient. May I recomend a book (actually MANY books). The series is called Foxfire. The whole series is done by a bunch of high school "kids" that did all of this for a project which turned into an amazing journey and they all are from the Applacaina Mts. The whole project is done with the mountain folks.
Indeed. Some of them were on the bookshelf at a middle-school that I attended many years ago. I remember enjoying them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermom View Post
Bakwoods home mag. also sells these books. Totally learning everything you need about going back home, doing things like our parents/grandparents did. Full of important, usefull information.
Quite so. I did not spot the banner ad for them here at BWH until a few days ago, and am considering a purchase. They really are invaluable records of practical and just plain fun parts of Appalachian life. I appreciate the suggestion.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-13-2009, 02:07 AM
Paddy's Avatar
Paddy Male Paddy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastIronCook2 View Post
What an inspiration!
Almost. It will start feeling inspirational if I succeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastIronCook2 View Post
Welcome, Paddy. Glad you decided to step forward from the shadows and take your rightful place here on the porch swing.
I do like it on the porch swing, yes oh yes. I have noticed over the years that people outside the country cannot appreciate the fine qualities of sitting out front as the sun sets and talking with neighbours and friends. It is a shame. Living near to a city makes for a dour and unfriendly existence.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-13-2009, 01:23 PM
TNDadx4's Avatar
TNDadx4 Male TNDadx4 is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 933
Default

Welcome to the forums! As you've probably seen, there are a lot of great people as well as a ton of info here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Kiwirach,
I had to begin organising the bits of info into a sort of notes system in multiple folders on a USB drive some time ago. Easy to search later when a fellow needs answers.
I have the same thing, a USB with anything and everything that I can find on homesteading and self-sufficiency. What an invaluable resource.

Best of luck with your dreams!
__________________
"...but, at long last, I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all..." ~ Laura Ingalls Wilder
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-13-2009, 07:57 PM
Paddy's Avatar
Paddy Male Paddy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinelu View Post
Welcome, Paddy, from a fellow East Tennesseean. If you don't mind, where are you considering purchasing property, how much are you looking for, etc. If I know what you're looking for, and I see something that might fit, I'll send you the info. Best of luck to you in achieving your dreams.
Hi there, Cinelu! I would love to have 20 to 40 acres, but I think that I am realistically looking at 4 to 15 acres in the end. These are the areas that I have been looking at:

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/973...celocation.png

I think Johnson County, Cocke County, Sevier County, Anderson County, Scott County, or Campbell County would be ideal, but I am open to other areas too. I have kin in the Valley, so I am looking to be within an hours drive of there.

I am looking for a place that has at least a few acres that is wooded, a hill with a south-facing slope, a reasonably clean water table, and good neighbours. Having water running on the surface nearby would be handy. I plan to have chickens and goats to start with for edible critters (supplemented by hunting, naturally) and am still considering what to grow. I do know that I want to have a few fruit trees. I also intend to mostly build with native stone. The plans are still pretty open to new ideas right now while I am saving the money.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -2. The time now is 05:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1996 to Present. Backwoods Home Magazine, Inc.