BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Forum Rules, Help, Announcements, & Testing > Forum News & Announcements

Forum News & Announcements Where we'll post permanent messages for all members.

View Poll Results: Would you participate in a Sports board?
Yes, almost daily 3 5.45%
Yes, now and then 15 27.27%
No 37 67.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Default Proposed New Board

It has been proposed that we add a "Sports" board to the Personal section near the bottom.

Please let us know if you'd participate in such a board by voting in the poll.

Any further comments may be made in this thread.

Thanks.

Oliver
Old 08-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Master Pontificator

Personally, I could give a rat's about almost any "sport", but I would want to infringe on anyone who would find entertainment and comradeship in having a sports forum. How about them Cowboys...

I hope admin would pay attention to the yeas and disregard the nays. If you don't want it, don't use it, or visit it. I wouldn't want my no vote to put the kibosh on someone else's fun!

I say give it a try, people will vote with their feet so to speak.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:34 PM

sounds good! I like sports. I didn't really have no where to post when I wanted to talk about the Kentucky Derby- that was an awesome race!
Old 08-30-2009, 07:52 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Smile

I LOVE sports of all kinds. It sounds like fun
Old 08-30-2009, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Just a reminder...comments posted in the thread do not count as votes.

Please be sure you vote in the poll as that will determine whether there is enough interest. It'll be open for voting for about ten days.

Thanks.

Oliver
Old 08-30-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufhelp View Post
Personally, I could give a rat's about almost any "sport", but I would want to infringe on anyone who would find entertainment and comradeship in having a sports forum. How about them Cowboys...

I hope admin would pay attention to the yeas and disregard the nays. If you don't want it, don't use it, or visit it. I wouldn't want my no vote to put the kibosh on someone else's fun!

I say give it a try, people will vote with their feet so to speak.
Tufhelp, I'm with you there. I won't vote because I wouldn't want my nay to spoil anybody else's fun. And who knows? There just might . . . ahhh, YES! That noble filly that had to be put down. That would bring me to a sports board. So I'm gonna go run and register a yay vote.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:49 PM

I'd have to give a big *nay* to the idea. There are plenty of sport oriented boards on the net, and I don't see how it would fit here. I came to this website and forum for information on homesteading related ideas, not to read about sports teams, or politics for that matter. I would suggest keeping this board to threads/areas related to the magazine that is the backbone of this whole website. Besides, I can see a sports forum becoming just as big an open argument forum just like the bottom 3 get at times. Some people take their sports and their teams VERY serious, and we've all seen the screaming matches over "my team vs your team", we don't need another area like that here.

Just my 2 cents.....
Old 08-30-2009, 10:36 PM

I think having a sports board about sports like hunting, fishing, other outdoors type sports would be good, but baseball, football, etc. wouldn't add much and as another poster posted would just lead to my team vs. your team.

Horse racing is an interesting sport. It doesn't really fall into a me vs them mentality, and many on this site are interested in horses and possibly racing.

The point above of "just don't go there if you don't like it" is kind of valid, but what if people get drawn into that section and don't post elsewhere? If that part gets too popular it would kind of change who comes here. For instance, someone comes here through google about a sports team and joins to post on that thread. Then starts posting in other threads on the board not really caring about the topic but just making uninformed comments? It could spread like a cancer and drag down the content on the main boards.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:51 PM

I can't figure out how adding more personal opinion boards does anything but dilute the "practical ideas for self-reliant living" posts, but as long as I don't have to sort through the personal opinion stuff in the "New Post" button then I'll just keep reading the posts that drew me here in the first place.

That is until a "Celebrity Gossip" board get's proposed.

Curbie
Old 08-31-2009, 12:30 AM

Please record and block all those 'nay' voters when highlights of the
Women's Nude Beach Volleyball Tournament are played!

Heck yeah is my vote so now--

wheres that darn poll-------------
Old 08-31-2009, 01:32 AM

Sports like Trap shooting, Hunting, Fishing, snowmobile racing, tractor pulls, mud runs, mountain climbng, ..........
Old 08-31-2009, 01:48 AM

It's an honest question that deserves an honest answer.
If the nay votes didn't matter, it'd be a poll of only daily or now and then participation , right?

Speaking personally...

This is more of a chat type topic than a self-reliance forum topic.
If anything, interested members can create a dedicated sports discussion chat room.
The last thing we need is more boards.

~Martin
Old 08-31-2009, 04:03 AM

Thumbs down Bread and Circuses

If this BHM community is getting so large that it needs a sports forum rather than letting sports junkies go to the vast number of choices available then I suppose it makes sense.

But personally, if the folks that keep the board running have to spend much more than a nanosecond per day maintaining decorum etc. then I vote no. It is better to stay focused on the core of what BHM is about.

Remember: The Roman population were largely kept under control with bread and circuses. We don't need to make it easier.

(But just so you'll know. . . we are a soccer family so it's not that we don't care for sports. . . we just don't need to discuss it around the camp fire. )

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:31 AM

We aren't a "sports" type family. But if it would be useful to others, then have one. It might please some of the guys (and gals) to talk about their favorite teams and players.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:52 AM

i have voted that i'd visit now and again.....i'm a sports fan, however 'my' sports aren't popular ones in the US(rugby, cricket etc), so doubt they'd be discussed here.
like others who've posted above, i wouldnt want this site to get away from the core of what its about...i joined because it was dedicated to self reliance, and thats what i visit it for...to learn more, and to talk where i can offer something useful!.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:47 PM

Default my vote

I voted that I would visit now and then because I am very into a certain sport since it relates to being self-reliant. So what I'd like to see is an area of the forum where people can discuss how a climber defeated the biggest obstacle of the mountain, or how a fisherman caught his trophy fish. What was used, that sort of thing - because that could be helpful to those of us trying to learn these things. I agree with many of the others. We don't need to know about baseball, nascar or football, but tri-athlons, climbing, fishing - those things would be good. Even helpful maybe.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:53 PM
Inactive Member

My own personal opinion is how does sports help someone learn about self-reliant living and homesteading.

If someone wants to discuss the Kentucky Derby, or the ribbons at the county fair, or the price of calves, or the 7 pound catfish I caught in my pond, etc. There are already places to post those here. We already have a livestock forum, general forum, hunting/fishing forum, homesteading or cooking - depending on what won the ribbons.

I like football. But, I get enough of it when my NFL and my college team play. If I want to discuss it, I can go to one of their forums. It has nothing to do with my homesteading experience.

My vote - no.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:33 PM
Master Pontificator

I vote no.

I have to agree with Dawgus and Paul. I have to add that there will only be more problems with another board. Sports is a serious subject to some folks then there will be disagreements, bans etc. Why cant this forum just stay on the subject of homesteading and self-reliant living?

jen
Old 08-31-2009, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Personally speaking..

I say "NO"! Sports is like a drug to some people, just like politics! Sports definitely doesn't enhance self reliance. If it does, I'm missing something..

There's enough magnets here to draw useless chit-chat. We don't need any more..
*Robert Frost*
Old 09-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Master Pontificator

I certainly don't OBJECT to the addition of such a board, and I hope administration will take into account numbers and not just percentages in deciding from the poll response.

I'm an anomoly for a 52 yr old male. My whole life I have been in to paticipatory sports: competative shooting (3 gun), hunting, fishing, skydiving and have never really had any interest in spectator sports. I've attended HS College and Pro Football, baseball games but honestly have never watched a complete game on TV. The only "sports" that I watch are NASCAR and Formula 1 and CART racing.

But I understand that many many people are really into the spectator sports and I only voted no because the question posed was would I participate in the board and I probably wouldn't at all.
Closed Thread