Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Food > Canning/Preserving

Old 09-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Inactive Member

Default Zinc Canning Lids

I have another question.

I had several boxes of the old type zinc canning lids given to me. I also have the jars they fit. Does anyone know how to can with these zinc lids? I hate to see them go to waste.

Paul

Old 09-12-2009, 02:57 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Paul, they're no longer recommended for canning, due to safety issues. FWIW, my Mom used to use them for water bath canning. She didn't have a pressure canner so everything was water bath processed. At some point she did switch to 2 piece lids.

If you can get new rings for them and want to can high acid foods, you'd follow the directions for water bath processing. Or, just use the rings to get a tight seal for storing dry storage.

I have a few that I use for dry storage. Wish I had a bunch more. They're becoming collectables, so they may be something that you'd want to put on ebay or one of the other sell/swap sites.

Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:57 PM

Sorry but I would not recommend using the old jars and zinc lids for canning today and especially not for pickled items since vinegar and salts would react with the zinc lids.

In this style of lid, the seal was not on the rim of the jar mouth but on the shoulder, below the threads. Therefore, the smoothness of the rim was not important. Many of these jars have rough rims, and rims of uneven thickness. These jars will not seal reliably with today's lids. They can be used to store grains and pasta, but are not a good choice for canning.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:09 PM

Can't say it for all of them, but the ones intact ones that I have, have a liner that protects the food from the zinc. I've seen some with cracks in the liner. They definitely shouldn't be used.

Lee
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Inactive Member

The zinc lids came with the liners in them and all the ones I was given have the liners. They've never been used.

As far as the jars that were used with them (blue/green jars), I don't use those to can. I only use them for dry food items.

Lee, I guess you answered my question. I would only use them with water bath canner. But, do you know whether they can be used with the pressure canner?
Old 09-12-2009, 10:51 PM

Paul, I'll check tomorrow to see what I can find in my old canning books.

Lee
Old 09-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Master Pontificator

Paul,

I would be happy to pay you for a few of those lids. I was given 2 jars and my mom has 3 and we don't have any of the zinc lids to go on them so that we can use them for storage. Please let me know if you want to get rid of a few. Blessings, firegirl
Old 09-13-2009, 10:08 AM

As promised, I rounded up an old canning book. It's the Ball Blue Book copyright 1953.

However before I get to that... Ball Blue Book copyright 2009

Quote: Incidence of seal failure is very high when older style closures and commercial caps are used. Zinc caps and glass lids that seal with a jar rubber should not be used for canning. These closures are not recommended since there is no way to determine if the closure is sealed.

And -- they are collectable. Desired by people who have the blue canning jars. For example: http://cgi.ebay.com/-60-ball-zinc-ca...03146003r29685 Those appear to be well used, too. If I had those jars, I'd buy the whole lot from them, if you're willing to sell. It's tempting, anyway.

Back to 1953.

Water bath canning illustrations for peaches featured the zinc caps and rubbers (pg 8-9). Pressure canning green beans (pg 46-47) illustrated with rings and lids. Jams, preserves, etc. illustrated with both of those plus glass bale jars.

Some quotes:

BALL MASON JARS may be sealed with either Ball Dome Caps, or Ball Zinc Caps and Rubbers. Both Dome and Zinc Caps are used for all reliable methods of canning. Use them as shown on pages 8-9 and 46-47.

When using the open kettle method, boil jars, glass lids, new zinc caps, also rubbers 10 minutes. Boil Dome Lids 5 minutes, old zinc caps 30 minutes. Keep boiing hot until used.

BALL ZINC CAPS are screwed down on a rubber ring, placed flat on the ledge or sealing shoulder of a Mason Jar. Zinc caps must be left slightly loose while jars are being processed, then tightened immediately. When filling jars to be processed, leave the same headspace as for Dome Caps. When using open kettle method, fill jars to top, but do not overflow.

Canning peaches Step 1 Check sealing shoulder of jars for nicks, chips and cracks; inspect caps for dents. Step 2 Wash jars, caps, rubbers in hot soapy water. Rinse. Leave in hot water until used. Step 9 Stretch wet rubber slightly; then put on sealing shoulder. Rubber may be put on jar either before or after filling. Step 10 Screw cap tight; then loosen about 1/4 inch. Step 12 Take jars from canner. Screw caps tight.

The Right Way to Can Green Beans (pressure canning) Ball Dome Caps were used in these pictures. When using Ball Zinc Caps and Mason Jars or Ball Ideal Jars (glass top & wire bales), prepare, pack and process as shown below.

Forty and One Questions Answered - DO NOT USE OLD JARS WITH TWO PIECE METAL CAPS - Old jars were made for shoulder sealing; consequently, the top finish is usually unsuitable for top sealing.

ZINC CAPS BULGE ONLY WHEN - - (a) screwed too tight before processing, (b) food spoils from under processing.

Paul, whatever you decide to do, hope this is helpful.

Lee
Old 09-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Inactive Member

Lee,

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking I may just use them with dry foods for now... unless I run out of lids and rings... down the road.

I do know they and the jars are collectible. But, I have a number of "old" or "collectible" items that I have to use. I just figure if they can't be used, I don't need to collect them. LOL.... Which is odd since I'm a packrat! LOL

Back to the lids. I do have probably about 2 hundred of the blue jars that the zinc lids went on. I'm thinking I might just use what I have enough zinc lids for, fill them with dried foods such as different beans and things, and make "plate" type shelves to display them on.

About using old jars. I don't use the blue ones for canning. I did learn the hard way, that the lip is not smooth enough to get a good seal. But, I always check the lip on old clear jars before using.

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:09 PM

Paul, if I had blue jars and zinc caps, that's exactly the way I'd use them. There's a long list of dried things from seeds to corn meal that can be stored in them. In fact, I'm going to the kitchen, in a few minutes to jar up some cornmeal in modern half gallon jars that'll go in the freezer for a few days.

I'd love to see a pix of your "plate" shelf display when you finish it and stock it with those beautiful old jars.

Lee
Old 09-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Master Pontificator

The zinc lids are perfectly safe dor use to vacumm seal dry storage things, (grains astas etc) in canning jars there is a youtube video showing how to use a vacumm sealer to do this type of dry dtorage they can be reused indefinitely in this manner and later today when I have time I will find a kink to that vid and post it.

It is not just for zinc lids any lid can be recycled for vacumm dry sealing.