BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations > State / Country Talk

State / Country Talk A place for folks to talk about their state- or country-related issues with fellow residents.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:26 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Ky- Bluegrass state or white?

Hello fellow Kentuckians. It is way too cold and nasty to be outside, so ya need to be inside and warm and toasty and catchin up on the happenins online.
Our weather here stinks, rained cats and dogs yesterday and last night, minor flooding in some areas, now it is freezing and we have a light snow. I am in the eastern area, applachia, where we have our own set of laws.lol ;D And seems this year to have our own weather pattern.

Have a great day!

stella

Old 01-10-2009, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Ky- Bluegrass state or white?

Hey sbemt456. I'm on the other end of the state. It was snowing 2 days ago, near 60 yesterday, and raining and cold today. Gotta love KY weather or you won't make it here LOL
Old 01-10-2009, 04:54 PM

For a bit there I was beginning to think I was all by my lonesome. Are you by any chance near Ky Lake area? I have an aunt on the western side of the lake that I visit about every other month. Nice out there, just like the mountains in the east better.

stella
Old 01-11-2009, 02:04 PM

I am about 30 miles east of the lakes area. I call the Pennyrile area home.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:49 AM

Dang it, it be cold here in the mountains. We got a light dusting of snow now at about midnight. Nice and warm here in front of the fireplace though.

Stay safe and warm!

stella
Old 01-14-2009, 01:50 AM

Did you all catch that on the news? A statewide smoking ban? What the heck, I cant smoke in my own darn house now.

stella
Old 01-14-2009, 08:23 PM

I think they mean for public places. They will tax you more to smoke at home. Although i don't smoke (haven't since the 70's) I do think the owner of a business should decide whether he allows smoking. It would then be up to the customer whether he goes there.
Stay warm the next couple of days. They are predicting 4 tonight and 0 for Friday morning. Coldest spell in 4 years.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:32 PM

Staying warm here in the mountains.
I think the smoking ban is more about money than peoples health. The person who proposed the ban (David Williams) was told by his coherts that "we dont gain revenue from a ban but would a tax". Just my opinion. We are in a very small town and you could really tell when we got the city ban, the restuarants were all but empty. We only have 2 left and one is a Dairy Queen.
Ah well, me and my house will do as we please at our house.

Have a great day.

stella
Old 01-15-2009, 11:22 PM

Another Kentuckian chiming in (and freezing my butt off). I'm in the eastern part of the state, too - about 50 miles east of Lexington (but formerly of Pike county)

The one thing I really like about KY is that we can still smoke just about everywhere, even in some grocery stores. (I even felt that way when I quit smoking for a couple of months) I'd rather pay more than lose more freedoms. OR I might just grow my own.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:37 AM

you all know tobacco grows good here in Ky. If I were a smoker I would grow my own. My husband's aunt Rachel always smoked a pipe. I guess it used to be common.
yeah, it sure is chilly. But that is the nice thing about Ky, we have four seasons, but winter does not drag on and on. I guess we can stand it for a few weeks.

what do you really like about KY?
Old 01-16-2009, 01:09 AM

Hi bookwormom, was wandering where ya had got off to. Well I dont have to be out in the world till next wednesday, dentist appointment in Lexington, till then I'm stayin in the house.
Junie we cant be far apart as I am about 80 mile east of Lexington. I did paramedic ride time in Johnson county and was in Pikeville 1 time in the 4 months I was riding. Nice place.
Did you ever try smoking that home grown tobacco? We raised tobacco when I was young and as kid will, I had to try it. Still dont like that shade of green. I remember being too sick to die. Unfortunately I do still smoke and am soon going to make a real effort to quit. Enough taxes already.

Have agreat day and stay warm!

stella
Old 01-16-2009, 01:24 AM

Stella, did you cure the tobacco before you smoked it? Ya gotta cure it. I guess I could quit smoking, but I'm too stubborn to. I like smoking!

As for Pikeville, my mother always told me, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything. I like where I'm living now, though.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:42 PM

thanks stella, I had to go home, stayed for a few weeks, dad is not connected to Internet. it looked like my mom was on her deathbed.

I would like to grow a few tobacco plants to make a spraying tonic for the garden, it kills aphids, wonder what it would do for cabbage loopers?

My heart is in the East. I loved it there immediately I set foot on the creek as a new bride and still do. You guys familiar with Breathitt county?
Old 01-16-2009, 01:01 PM

Bookwormom hope your family is better. Breathittt is a lot like Lee county, lots of remote areas and the older folks seem a little set in their ways. They dont like these new fangled gadgets. Made many many ambulance runs to KRMC in my EMS career. Just good mountain folks.

Junie I had my trial with backey when we were stripping so it was cured. Still I turned green.

I have a book that I bought last summer, Old Time Gardening Wisdom by Jerry Baker and he talks of his Grandma Put making a tonic with tobacco and in context of the book I got the impression she was using like Red man in the pouch. As for the cabbage worms we had last year, I used wood ashes. Worked like a charm till I ran out of ashes. I will have more ashes this year. And I am a firm believer in the results of manure tea.
It is still cold here at 11AM at 4 degrees and I need to get more firewood from the porch.

Stay warm.

stella
Old 01-16-2009, 03:03 PM

Just to chime in; Yes we do have four seasons in KY. Today is winter. Tomorrow will be Spring. The next day? Who knows?
Old 01-16-2009, 04:30 PM

okay, I'll start saving my woodashes.

you are so right Gwhilikerz.

I have been to Beattyville, husband's Dad's wife was in the old folks home there. The area around slade is just so wonderful. we thought we would have time to go to Red river gorge to go hiking, at least for a week in fall, but when you have animals you are tied down worse than with little kids. I wish we had a bunch of like minded folks around close and we could take turns babysitting each other's places so we could get away on occasion.
MIL actually lives equal distances from Jackson and Hazard, six miles up a creek, talk about out in the sticks.
I love the old mountain people, did from the first. I am sure you know old women who have a quilting frame hanging from the ceiling and you pull a rope and it moves up and out of the way. Last time I stopped by an old neighbor she showed me her cedar chest full of quilts she made and we talked about gardens.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:04 AM

My dad was in the nursing home here before he passed on in 2004. He was well cared for, I worked EMS at the time and they knew me so that was a plus. My life has never been the same, guess he was the anchor.

As for the Gorge, even the private lands here are the same as far as terrain and beauty. The only difference is private land owners dont allow foreigners to hike around on their property.lol Hubby and I were talking about the people in Eastern Ky last night with the extreme cold. Hubby was a part time deputy here for a while and he said he had been in houses where the folks were obviously very poor, but would offer you something to drink or eat when you went to their house on a patrol call, very warm and hospitable folks. And I am certain there are ones that have a hard time keeping food on the table and heat right now. What irks me is ones that do have money think they are so much better than the poor people and wont give you the time of day much less offer you something to drink. Every one expects some government entity to take care of the needy, the churches do nothing, just build more nicer empty pews. Such a waste.
I went in the ambulance when I was working to pick up a little lady that had fallen. I commented on the big weaving loom that was sitting on her porch, and she said " when I get well you come on out here and we will weave and you can learn how". But she passed on and I never got the chance. She lived in a neighboring county and was my high school best friends grandmother. Later found out that the loom was thrown in the junk. So sad.

Ok I'm done now!
Stay safe and warm.

stella
Old 01-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Master Pontificator

Well howdy from s.e. pikecounty ky. This morning ice, and plenty of it. On that 11 above day i was at the campsite. Big fire, cooked a killer meal, hot coffee took a nice pic or two. Mite as well enjoy everyday. Springs on its way, well thats what i herd anyway.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:52 PM

girls, all take a look, we got us a guy on this thread. I hope you are not the only one Mr. Greenjeans, welcome to the place.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:43 PM

And be darned he is farther east than I am. Welcome Mr. Greenjeans. What the heck ya doin campin a time like this? Ya know y'll ketch ya death out there!

Not too bad cold here today, in the 30's. Went out long enough to take the ashes out of the fireplace and put them in my can for puttin on cabbage this summer.

We made homemade pizza for supper tonight, homemade crust, homemade pepperoni, homemade sauce, I also put sausage and bacon on mine with bell peppers and onions from the freezer. Cheese is the only thing store bought, so not bad. Even the herbs home grown. It was pretty darn good.

BTW does any body still like Hee Haw? I remember as a little girl listening to grand ole opry on the radio on saturday nights. As to go back there again.

Have a great day!

stella