BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations > State / Country Talk

State / Country Talk A place for folks to talk about their state- or country-related issues with fellow residents.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Re: Ky- Bluegrass state or white?

What am I, chopped liver? Just because i didn't post my thingy out there for all to see.
I just watched HeeHaw on tv. We try to catch it every time it is on, and RFD-tv carries it twice a week.
Ok, I'll go to my profile to fly my flag now.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:05 AM

Naw ya aint chopped liver. If you are inclined please tell us where you are in the bluegrass state.
Wonder if it would be safe to have a county map of Kentucky so each of us could put a dot where we are? It would be cool.

Gwhilikerz we catch Hee Haw on RFDTV also. Actually that is what I was watching when I posted. To me TV is for entertainment and if I have to think hard to follow the plot to a movie, to heck with it. Just stuff to make me laugh is all I want to watch.. Hubby calls it mindless stuff.

BTW are you all gettin snowed on? Earlier we were getting freezing rain, now just snow.

Stay warm and safe!

stella
Old 01-19-2009, 02:53 AM

Howdy all I am in the metro Lou area lucky me huh NOT lol. anyway setting here listening to the scanner the roads are all iced up and are they having a busy night, cars spinning into the ditches everywhere, lots of roads not passable. Stay warm Rick in Ky
Old 01-19-2009, 03:03 AM

Kyhome it is getting ugly here in the east as well, we got the freezing rain and now the snow.
Went through Louisville one time on an ambulance run to a little town in Indiana to a nursing home, I think Clarksville maybe. Thats been about 3 yrs ago.

Stay safe and have a great day!

stella
Old 01-19-2009, 03:40 PM

Here in Hopkins Co there is a trace of snow on the ground, the temp is about 23 with a 15 mph wind. And that is the best it is going to be for a couple of days. We are warm and toasty inside and that is where we are staying. This is actually the one time i'm glad there are no outside animals to worry about.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:10 PM

ground was white this morning. One of our cows is coughing, I don't know if she is getting sick or what is the matter. It has been really unpleasant outside. well, I guess I'll ask the girls over in the cow department.
your pizza sounds great stella. we had goat meat sausage, rice, greenbean and onion salad, we did not grow the rice.
well, better stoke the fire.
uh, I don't get it gwilli, chopped liver? what does it mean if you are chopped liver. never heard that before.

our son brought us a few DVDs with old Hee Haws on it. I love it, gloom despair, and agony is me,.... so I searched the world over and I thought I found true love, just good, corny fun. my husband loves the part where they all lie around with a huge ole hound.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:40 PM

bookwormom, "Chopped liver" is an old saying around here. It can be used when comparing just about anything.
"My car is fast. Well, mine ain't exactly chopped liver" means his car is fast too.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Master Pontificator

Can be used another way too: "YUCK! What the heck was that?" "Chopped liver..."
Old 01-20-2009, 01:44 AM

Tufhelp, send me your addy and I will send you a box of snow. lol No yellow. We got 2 inches of snow last night. Hubby called after he got to work this morning and said even the main roads were slick. I wouldnt know, havent been off the farm in 2 weeks. Lucky me. If spring dont get here soon I am going to jump off the porch! Stir crazy!
Got our garden seed order sent out today, darn I'm ready to play in the dirt.

Bookwormom I went ahead and ordered me some peanut seed to plant. Hubby dont want to grow them, guess he thinks he will have to dig them. And he is mostly right. He ordered 2 lb of sweet corn, dont know what he was thinking. I think he is gonna try workin me to death!

Hows come we got all the snow this year? Somebody aint livin right. Dunno.

Have a great day all!

stella
Old 01-20-2009, 08:44 PM

I personally like chopped liver, with marjoram in it.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:33 AM

Darn it, we got snowed on again this evening. Not more than a 1/2 inch but the other stuff hasnt melted yet. Side roads are still very slick, the county dont scrape the side roads, guess we arent important. Guess I could take some pics and post, only I am computer illerate and I could see the mods being real mad at me. :-/

We had really good chicken and dumplings for supper tonight with the chicken I had raised and canned this year. So good. NO LIVER! yuck.

Have a great day!

stella
Old 01-21-2009, 08:33 PM

just hand the liver to me.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:16 PM

I may have miscounted, but there are only six people here from Kentucky? that can't be, were are you all hiding? I feel like I am all alone in the center of the state.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:08 PM

Bookwormom I think some of them may not check in as often as some of us and havent noticed the new state/country talk section.
I have always told my boys that they could only go as far as I could drive in 2 hours in and emergency. Dont fret, I could get to ya in 2 hours in an emergency. As long as I didnt get arrested for speeding.

Most of our snow melted today , so I got to go out on the deck. Supposed to be warm again tomorrow so maybe I can get out in the yard and walk around without falling again. Still got bruises from the last one.
We were in Lexington yesterday and went to Sam's club. We passed the meat counter and could not believe how much the price of meat has dropped. Last summer hubby paid around 7.00 a pound for whole ribeye steak, yesterday they were 4.94 a pound. And other meat has dropped also. I was kinda shocked. We dont need meat at this time because we have chicken and venison in the freezer. The one thing I did notice was the price of cooking oil, oucheeee! It has doubled since back in the summer when I bought it last. I only by olive oil and corn oil, no canola or wesson for me(made from GM grain), no crisco, it wont melt at body temp and that concerns me in the mornings. > Just wondered if any one else in Ky had noticed any major price changes.

Have a great day!

stella
Old 01-24-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwormom
I may have miscounted, but *there are only six people here from Kentucky? that can't be, were are you all hiding? *I feel like I am all alone in the center of the state.
you can always start a campaign urging people to include their location on their i.d. info block -

like i JUST did - under the flag -
Old 01-25-2009, 05:01 PM

I really don't like the snow, but as any farmer in the know will tell you some snow is good for the soil as it helps to add some nitrogen, and with that info and enough money you can get a cup a coffee. As for where I am in ky I am in the western end of Hardin county, wishing I was farther east in the state as that is where I am originally from. (Jackstown)
Old 01-25-2009, 11:12 PM

howdy phrr, we are practically neighbors, we are in the middle of Hart county, just a bit off 31 W.

I noticed the price of juice at the salvage store has gone up a lot too. I have not looked at meat prices in a long time. Brown rice at the Amish store went up from 1.49 a bag to 2.69.
We are supposed to get five inches of snow and I hope we do and it stays a few days. I know it is selfish, but I have invited folks from church already to come over and bring kids, sleds, innertubes, what have you. We have the perfect hill and we'll have a bon fire, then drink hot chocolate. Kentucky kids don't get to play much in the snow.

I am so impressed Moose too, I just don't know how to do stuff like that.
May I ask where in south Central KY?
Old 01-27-2009, 01:58 AM

Bookwormom do ya think they are going to be able to use sleds or will they need ice skates? The snow I can tolerate but dang I dont like the ice. Although we need the water in the ground, we are still hauling water here, usually by now we have plenty.

I noticed on the news the other day that California areas some farmers were not able to plant some crops due to water restrictions. And the banks wont loan them operating funds till they can guarantee that they have a water source. It may be another dry year with another increase in some foods.
I suppose that if we get nasty weather I will be grounded to the house again. :-/ Dont need to fall down and go boom again.

Stay safe all and have a great day!

stella
Old 01-27-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwormom

I am so impressed Moose too, I just don't know how to do stuff like that. *
May I ask where in south Central KY? *
cumberland county - ten years out of florida -

put the location in by keying on your own name - that'll take you back to where you first signed in when joining - work your way all the way to the end of that set-up and you'll find a place for putting comments on your i.d. -
Old 01-28-2009, 12:30 AM

Is anyone iced in? We had ice here this morning and lost electricity about 10 AM. Then I went to all the trouble of making venison stew out on the porch using my propane burners that I used for canning, hubby got home and we were getting ready to eat and the power came back on. Yipee! We have heat even without power but it is kinda inconvient to cook. I think our area is going to get mostly rain, so we will get the flooding.

Have a safe evening!

stella